Am I running TOO safe? vid.

typhoon43

Established Member
Mods ar 6# lower, SCT 2800 MAF, LFP bars, E-Fan, FTVB, PSP fast air..you know, the bolt-ons. Truck has 36k, and a fresh set of Motocraft Coppers at .032

Anyway, it was 43 degrees out last night (Florida) so I figured this would be the coldest I'd see to flog my L and see if my tune is still ok. To me it seems a little too safe. In the 80 degree days I see 10.8-11.2@ WOT. Check my wideband during this 0-110 pull (in Drive). You think I could trim it out a tad, since in my opinion it's still rich even in 43 degree weather? Any more power left in her, or should I keep it dialed in where she is?

Right click save as...
http://www.hyperfiberbbq.com/uploader/files/1/Lightning/Typhoon43-night-romp_0003.wmv

Any input appreciated. Thanks gang.

Last edited:

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
I see it bouncing from 11.2 to 11.9 I think your fine. The digital gauge is hard to read when it bounces all over the place. Thats why I prefer analog gauges. I do like the way the digital look and all your gauges look kick ass.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

fuzzie

AKA---Silver04'L
Established Member
Your def. rich but better safe then sorry. I mean think about how much power your actually gonna pick up by leaning it out another point......

typhoon43

Established Member
fuzzie said:
Your def. rich but better safe then sorry. I mean think about how much power your actually gonna pick up by leaning it out another point......

Yeah I know for winter I'm looking safe, but since I live in Florida I have 9 months of heat, in which I'm in the high 10's low 11.2 range. I'm wondering if it when it warms up I should lean it out a tad for some more ponies. Ever since I did my stereo and Gaylord cover, I've been worried about losing a few steps from the weight, so any extra ponies would help me get back to where I want to be with this setup.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
You could lean it out a bit in the warmer/hotter months, but leave it whare it's at for the colder months. It's more then just you're a/f in the cold. MAF and Timeing counts too. You're safe right now cold. YOu lean it out, your back on the fine line. But the summer, you could deff lean it out a bit.

Last edited:

Fade 2 Black

Gen 2 Diehard
Established Member
Temperature has nothing to do with a/f ratio. Only the maf transfer does. Unless you reach a maf count cell that the tuner didn't then you're a/f will stay the same year 'round. Getting 11.6-11.8 across the board wouldn't hurt at all and as stated timing is another large puzzle piece.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
Fade 2 Black said:
Temperature has nothing to do with a/f ratio. Only the maf transfer does. Unless you reach a maf count cell that the tuner didn't then you're a/f will stay the same year 'round. Getting 11.6-11.8 across the board wouldn't hurt at all and as stated timing is another large puzzle piece.

yep but some area's maryalnd being one of them they use a higher oxigenated gas during the winter. or so ive been told thus screwing with your air fuels

typhoon43

Established Member
Well I'm at 17 degrees max, and as stated, I do have the SCT2800, so my MAF transfer functions have plenty of headroom. What I can tell you is that temp most definitely affects my A/F, as I'm in the high 10's when it's really warm out. I'm truly just trying to see if I should re-dyno when it warms up, which it sounds like I should do.

203Cree

Established Member
Yeah, you could do that, or just bump it to around 11.7ish now, lol. That's still on the safe side and gives you a little room to play with. Not worth much in the power department tho.

Now here's a general question for everyone else. How rich do we have to get before we need to worry about melting cats? :shrug: That's one thing I've wondered but have never known. I know it doesn't take much.....

FlaHP

Established Member
Josh I knew you were still alive somewhere :)

The numbers looked fine but I was shocked it hopped around so much. Mine usually creeps at WOT when tuned right

I need to head over to see Torrie soon so if you want we can make a day of it.

I wouldn't worry about it till Torrie gets the new dyno. We are going to have a local and Jax dyno day coming in the next 2-3 months so you can get her dialed back in.

Users who are viewing this thread