AM SCT BAMA tunes

toomanytoys

Established Member
I read everyones posts. I was goi g to get a handheld/ maill tune and the more I think about it the more I think its a bad idea. No cars the same period. All this showed me is a dyno is in order. Maybe 600$ but there's a lot of ignorance here. All I see is AM chris trying to pitch his product. Nothing wrong with that but. I can't see how your tunes will factor in my sealevel, alt, heat, and humidity none the less the fact that not. Every termi is the same. I'm new to tuning but even I know my cobra with a tune in NY won't be the same as callis guy or floridas guy. Please corrrect me here if I'm wrong but how do you factor in variables without a dyno.

I'm looking to buy a tune and saw this post which stopped me in my tracks. Explain to me hhow your mail order tunes are accurate even though you never seen/dynoed the car.

While I agree that cars do vary, how much will 2 cars with the exact same mods vary? It cant be that far off. If a car from NY had such a different tune than one from Fla, then the NY car could never drive down south could it? But at the same time if the car can adjust the tune with the info collected by its sensors, then why cant it adjust for bolt-ons?

Ive done the "Pro Shop" tune with my 88LX and after spending $600, I came away absolutely disgusted. The car ran no different and picked up zero power when compared to my settings. And I will say it- the tune was done at LaRoccas. Had I known that he didnt own the shop anymore I would have saved my money.

Chris, how much are the tunes if I already have the SCT handheld?

zukman31

Established Member
I sent Chris an email 2 days ago when he said to email him and I asked him about a tune and I havent herd a word back from him either. Looks like if he wants business he would be answeing his emails. God knows when I get emails to my company I answer them ASAP..

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
if you are interested in purchasing a tune from them, you should just call them up, or do it from their website. your questions can get answered right away if you were to call. im sure you could speak with anyone with "BAMA".

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
Think I will stick with Amazon rather than deal with whatever the hell is going on in this thread. Rick has always done great work for me.

i have heard nothing but GREAT things about Amazon tuning. As you know, with amazon (and most other reputable cobra tuners), they send you the tune...then after you install the tune, they have you do some data-logging, and send them the results. once they have the results, they make whatever changes they see that they need to make...they make the changes, and send you the new tune. then its time to data-log again, to make sure its dialed in right. this is common practice, and most know this.

now let me ask you this...
if you knew a place that you could go to (online), to get a "spot-on"/solid tune on the very first try, without you having to do any data-logging...or having to take the tune to a dyno to get the AFR verified/checked...wouldnt you rather go here to get the tune? spot-on tune the first try. no data-logging, no taking it to make sure the AFR isnt out of wack, because there is no need to. you could be confident the tune is spot-on right out of the box, so to speak. i know that this is where i would go, to get my tune, for sure...and would obviously recommend the place to everyone i knew looking for a good tune.

now....does this place exist? this place with spot-on tunes, done right, on the first try? this is exactly what we are waiting for AMChris to prove to us. according to him, it DOES exist. i guess only time will tell. i have sent Chris my cell phone number to his email as well, as he requested...so we shall see. =]

black 10th vert

Established Member
i have heard nothing but GREAT things about Amazon tuning. As you know, with amazon (and most other reputable cobra tuners), they send you the tune...then after you install the tune, they have you do some data-logging, and send them the results. once they have the results, they make whatever changes they see that they need to make...they make the changes, and send you the new tune. then its time to data-log again, to make sure its dialed in right. this is common practice, and most know this.

now let me ask you this...
if you knew a place that you could go to (online), to get a "spot-on"/solid tune on the very first try, without you having to do any data-logging...or having to take the tune to a dyno to get the AFR verified/checked...wouldnt you rather go here to get the tune? spot-on tune the first try. no data-logging, no taking it to make sure the AFR isnt out of wack, because there is no need to. you could be confident the tune is spot-on right out of the box, so to speak. i know that this is where i would go, to get my tune, for sure...and would obviously recommend the place to everyone i knew looking for a good tune.

now....does this place exist? this place with spot-on tunes, done right, on the first try? this is exactly what we are waiting for AMChris to prove to us. according to him, it DOES exist. i guess only time will tell. i have sent Chris my cell phone number to his email as well, as he requested...so we shall see. =]

I think what you are saying is somewhat true for most reputable tuners, because they obviously keep revised tune files from cars they have tuned with similar mods to yours. Odds are very good that they have tunes already written, and revised for almost every combo, and even if you have some oddball part thrown in the mix, like different coils, or something, they can still get it pretty darn close. I know my Amazon tunes are very close to perfect as I monitor the AF, and just from the overall responsiveness, and driveability in varied conditions I can tell it is pretty spot on, even without datalogging. I'm sure if Bama Tunes has done a good number of cars like Amazon has, chances are good that they also have tune files saved that cover a good number of common mods, and upgrades.

black 10th vert

Established Member
I read everyones posts. I was goi g to get a handheld/ maill tune and the more I think about it the more I think its a bad idea. No cars the same period. All this showed me is a dyno is in order. Maybe 600$ but there's a lot of ignorance here. All I see is AM chris trying to pitch his product. Nothing wrong with that but. I can't see how your tunes will factor in my sealevel, alt, heat, and humidity none the less the fact that not. Every termi is the same. I'm new to tuning but even I know my cobra with a tune in NY won't be the same as callis guy or floridas guy. Please corrrect me here if I'm wrong but how do you factor in variables without a dyno.

I'm looking to buy a tune and saw this post which stopped me in my tracks. Explain to me hhow your mail order tunes are accurate even though you never seen/dynoed the car.

You would be wrong about this. The computer is able to account for all of those variables provided the original tune is set up with the correct scaling factors and tables. If that were not the case, your car would not be able to be driven to another part of the country without running like crap, or needing a re-tune once you got to a new destination. Doesn't sound too practical, now does it?;-)

AMChrisRose

While I agree that cars do vary, how much will 2 cars with the exact same mods vary? It cant be that far off. If a car from NY had such a different tune than one from Fla, then the NY car could never drive down south could it? But at the same time if the car can adjust the tune with the info collected by its sensors, then why cant it adjust for bolt-ons?

Ive done the "Pro Shop" tune with my 88LX and after spending $600, I came away absolutely disgusted. The car ran no different and picked up zero power when compared to my settings. And I will say it- the tune was done at LaRoccas. Had I known that he didnt own the shop anymore I would have saved my money.

Chris, how much are the tunes if I already have the SCT handheld?

$50 for a single tune or $150 for a Free Tunes for Life membership, that will do most bolt-ons and smaller mods. For 03/04 cobra that will do upper/lower pulley, heat exchanger, CAI, long tubes, etc. However, it won't do blower porting and larger blowers, etc.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have absolutely any other questions at all. You can also give the Bama team a call Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST at 888-226-9764!

Last edited:

AMChrisRose

You would be wrong about this. The computer is able to account for all of those variables provided the original tune is set up with the correct scaling factors and tables. If that were not the case, your car would not be able to be driven to another part of the country without running like crap, or needing a re-tune once you got to a new destination. Doesn't sound too practical, now does it?;-)

Thank you! People don't realize that there are more CONSTANTS in each PCM between vehicles than there are variables. Furthermore, the things with variables have sensors (temperatures, etc.).

If the MAF calibration is correct, and you go to a place that has the right experience to be able to dial in all of the constants and things that don't change from vehicle-to-vehicle, the tune will be great!

I sent back an email to Moko! Let's do this!

AMChrisRose

I sent Chris an email 2 days ago when he said to email him and I asked him about a tune and I havent herd a word back from him either. Looks like if he wants business he would be answeing his emails. God knows when I get emails to my company I answer them ASAP..

I don't put my email out there, usually - that was just for Moko, so that we could get this test started.

If you call AM, one of our reps will get you helped out right away. If you email, one of our reps will get back to you within 24-48 business hours. If you shoot me a personal email, it could be 10 minutes or it could be 5 days. I had a new forums rep start this week that kept me pretty busy, amongst plenty of other things. If you need support and can't wait, that's why we have all of those other numbers available.

Either way, I replied to your email. Let me know if there's absolutely anything else you need, and I'm glad to help. If it has to be answered within 24-48 hours, I can't guarantee that directly emailing me. Sometimes that's no problem at all, sometimes that's impossible. So if you do need absolutely anything else, keep that in mind or our toll-free and email methods will help you out in no-time! :beer:

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
the ball is slowly but surely starting to get rolling. Chris has emailed me back, but i wont be able to check the mail until i get back into town on tuesday (since it is my work email). i will update the thread as soon i have some news.

gregorio

Established Member
As an update...I installed my tune on Friday night and the drivability greatly improved! No more lurching forward at low speeds in 1st or 2nd. Top end seems to have improved while low end torque isn't quite the same. I'm installing a upr o/r x next week and will adjust as necessary. So far I'm pleased but I still wanna put it on a dyno to see what my numbers are.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
AMChris - responded to your email this morning. going to check around on some dyno info today. will be emailing you again tomorrow morn, with more info.

Zacharyx

Established Member
Hop on a dyno and check the AFR is the way to go. Then send Bama the results and if there's any possible adjustments, they'll do it. Usually our AFR's are within .1-.2 of commanded, though.

so far my only experience with AM/Bama tunes was on a friends '11. The 93 tune threw wrenched every 10 minutes or so ( i did not get to read the codes, as she would reflash and the car would run for another 10-15 minutes) a call to AM/Bama and the only thing offered was to keep putting 93 in the tank and run the 91 tune. She has tried gas from many stations, recently she recieved a new tune emailed ( not ask for ) and it woke the car up.

I would be willing to do a back to back email tune comparison between AM and my current guy but unless they have changed my non-factory power adder,cammed, e85 is on the list of what they will not tune for.
I think BAMA does a good job as far as email tunes go but there is no tune I will not check on a dyno or datalog a back road blast to ensure there wasn't a fat finger in the MAF transfer or some other error , everyone is human and capable of mistakes.

I do have two friends with '11s both have the same CAI, but different axle back exhaust one has a Bama tune and the other one from my current email tuner. Maybe I will try to get them on a dyno on the same day

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
I would be willing to do a back to back email tune comparison between AM and my current guy but unless they have changed my non-factory power adder,cammed, e85 is on the list of what they will not tune for.
I think BAMA does a good job as far as email tunes go but there is no tune I will not check on a dyno or datalog a back road blast to ensure there wasn't a fat finger in the MAF transfer or some other error , everyone is human and capable of mistakes.

thanks for your offer Zachary, however this is already being taken care of by Chris and I.

i have supplied AMChris with some of the info he needs, via email this morning. today i will be finding a local dyno we can go to, to compare the tunes (as instructed in my email from AMChris). will be updating the thread with more info, later this week.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread