America is destined for failure.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I am building a new stroker engine for my S197.
I have decided not to use any parts off my old engine which is still in the car running so that it may serve as a backup should the need arise.

I was putting together an online order with a large Ford Parts dealer and I couldn't locate several parts despite going over the site with a fine tooth comb and multiple searches on the site and through Google.

As a last resort I picked up the phone and called them.
I asked the customer service rep if he could locate for me the cam position sensor part number.
I specifically told him that I was not looking for the cam phaser which is described by Ford as the cam position sensor, but the electrical component that picks up the signal from the phaser.
I also gave him the location of the sensor on the vehicle.

The rep comes back to me with the cam phaser part number 3R2Z-6A257-DA when I specifically told him that it was not what I was looking for.
He then tells me that the sensor is only sold as part of the phaser.
When l enter the part number provided it shows the phaser and a one time use bolt but no electrical sensor.

Having given up on this representative I thank him and hang up the phone and call a different nationally recognized Ford parts department and we go through the whole song and dance again with the same result.

I got fed up of this and went out to the car and pulled the sensor off and got the following part number.
1W7E-6B288-AB
This item does not show up on any Ford parts website but it does give me a hit on aliexpress which has them for $13.00 with free shipping.
Digging a little deeper Ryder fleet services sells this part under the part number W83DU70 for $26.31 which cross references with Motorcraft DU70, 1W7E6B288AB, 1W7Z6B288AB.
Plugging DU70 into any Ford parts database then gets me to the part I'm looking for.

If this is what the future holds we are all doomed.

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
I tried to buy an OEM clap for my exhaust through ford parts and was asked if that would be under suspension....

jbs$

Established Member
Years ago you purchased books that gave cross references to engine swaps and almost anything else that could be swapped from one vehicle to another. I guess electronic versions of of these are next.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
You got to remember parts reps aren't usually techs. They are often people hired off the street and work their way up to the position because they show some amount of knowledge and ability to locate parts. I order over a million dollars in parts a year so Im pretty close with our suppliers and while most of them are awesome at what they do, when you throw something even slightly unique or technical at them it will take some time. A lot of it has to do with knowledge of the parts and the other part the difficult and frustration that often comes with the catelogs. It's just how it is so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Users who are viewing this thread