Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50 meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C recommendation

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Great to hear, sounds like the differential fluid was wearing down and lacking the proper levels of friction modifiers. Good that you changed it out.

Is your 93' Lightening a manual or automatic. If I recall, isn't that a 5.8L engine?

93 Lighting is an E40D or something like that, predecessor to the 4R100. Takes old school Dexron/Mercon not Mercon V. Mercon V is known to wipe them out. What would be the Amsoil equivalent to Dexron/Mercon?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
93 Lighting is an E40D or something like that, predecessor to the 4R100. Takes old school Dexron/Mercon not Mercon V. Mercon V is known to wipe them out. What would be the Amsoil equivalent to Dexron/Mercon?

This is the old Amsoil ATF spec, prior to Mercon V

Amsoil Torque Drive

Amsoil also lists it as suitable for your transmission and application.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
It is a must for the GT500 as well, passenger side is enough if you're not running high boost numbers.
The problem with the 500 is that the oil forms a coat over the intercooler, thus higher IAT2 temps, and any excess oil will go to the cylinder and may cause detonation.
Its gonna be very difficult to clean everything in their, so it'd better to just leave if you're not up to it.

Van made a thread about oil separators and their benefits a while ago, they really work.

Welp, guess that'll be my next mod. I find it strange that if the GT-500 has that big of an issue with it (detonation) the ones with 40-50k+ aren't blowing up. I can't see normal owners putting on a catch can (or modding at all). I have 26k on mine so I'd imagine it is fine, just ordered one though.

Last edited:

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
I just got my 13 Shelby and going to do an oil change. I'm going to order this 5w50 but which oil filters is everyone using? Also doing the fuel filter, should I just go with Ford replacement?

mikes35

Established Member
What oil and filter would be recommended for a high mileage gt500 with a few mods?

Users who are viewing this thread