Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50 meets Ford WSS-M2C931-C recommendation

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hello fellow Mustang owners. Amsoil finally decided enough Ford vehicles were on the streets and track to formulate a Signature Series lubricant that meets API SN and Ford WSS-M2C931-C requirements. This is a big deal for those who are worried about not having Ford's recommended SAE lubricant in their Mustang.

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-50

This is the only known lubricant to carry Ford's recommendation code other than Motorcraft 5W-50.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

5W-50 (AMR): API SN, SM...; Ford WSS-M2C931-C (Mustang)

This also means Amsoil's Warranty will now cover your Condor, Roadrunner, Trinity, or Coyote engine that is spec'd for 5W-50.

I will edit my recommendation for the Boss 302, Track Pack GT, and GT500 vehicles used on closed course tracks and for those who do not want anything else in their Mustang except 5W-50.

Preferred Customers can purchase this formulation for $8.15 per quart or $92.85 per case (12 quarts). Amsoil's EaO11 oil filter is recommended for your application.

Looks like we have another new lubricant to test in the Boss 302 UOA Thread. With Amsoil's desire to produce only the best formulation possible, I'd assume it's more shear resistant than Motorcraft 5W-50. However, only time and testing will tell.

Last edited:

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Do you feel that this would be similar to Amsoil 10W-40 overall? Amsoil 10W-30 or 10W-40 is what I use because of my worries of shear from having too much spread in the weights. Amsoil may do a better job of keeping that from happening like some of the other brands with a large variance.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Do you feel that this would be similar to Amsoil 10W-40 overall? Amsoil 10W-30 or 10W-40 is what I use because of my worries of shear from having too much spread in the weights. Amsoil may do a better job of keeping that from happening like some of the other brands with a large variance.

It really depends on use. On the street, 5W-50 isn't required. It's far too viscous, and oil pressure is excessive. However, for road course track use, it's a great idea. Especially if you are driving the car to the edge of cooling system limitations. I still prefer ATM 10W-30 for street driven Boss 302 and Track Pack GT cars. However, Amsoil's new 5W-50 lubricant will appeal to those who insist to use what Ford recommends. I'm really excited about the new formulation.

I predict it will shear slightly less than Castrol 5W-50 and a whole lot less than Motorcraft 5W-50. This lubricant will appeal to a lot of Boss 302 owners.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I know, today's release floored me, as I thought they would never do it. Every time I asked for it, I was told, "nothing is in the works due to low demand."

dmichaels

Established Member
Might give it a shot depending how the castrol I've been running tests when I have it analyzed. Thanks for sharing.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Now everyone can use Amsoil Signature Series. The best part is, it's backed by Ford's and Amsoil's warranty. Warranty concerned owners will sleep easy at night with that insurance.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Very nice, going to do some more digging and see how well it'll work for my car.

NELCO

Established Member
I just went to my Amsoil dealer in San Carlos and he just found out the oil is available. I will have a case of it next week.

El Jeffe

Established Member
just ordered a case of the new Amsoil signature series 5w50
Used Castrol Edge w Syn power with no problems, but readiing on that oil find that the extra high zinc and phospherous in their fomula (which was really designed for older CLASSIC cars which need the extra zinc protection) will cause problems with the modern catalytic converters on the Boss. No such problems they say with the new Amsoil 5w50.

_Snake_

Established Member
Used Castrol Edge w Syn power with no problems, but readiing on that oil find that the extra high zinc and phospherous in their fomula (which was really designed for older CLASSIC cars which need the extra zinc protection) will cause problems with the modern catalytic converters on the Boss. No such problems they say with the new Amsoil 5w50.

Good information, thanks!

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Correct, Amsoil AMR 5W-50 has API SN levels of ZDDP. Even though it has the same levels as Motorcraft, Amsoil AMR 5W-50 has 40% lower NOACK Volatility (evaporation). With less lubricant evaporation, you have less contamination in your engine. This makes AMR more catalyst friendly than Motorcraft.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread