Amsoil signature series or Dominator?

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
Looking to switch to a 10w-30 now that I have my 170 degree thermostat and heat exchanger installed in my gt500. Curious as to which type of amsoil oil would be more recommended in that weight for a 2012 gt500 with about 650 rwhp?

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
I go about 5k a year. Mostly a weekend and road trip car that is run hard occasionally. I am leaning toward the RD30 for sure.
Thanks for the recommendation!!

DNT H8

Established Member
Just a heads up... Most Amsoil reps will steer you clear of Dominator for anything other than a track car, apparently Dominator does not have the same properties as signature series for any type of real milage. You would have to talk to a rep for the specifics...

DNT H8

Established Member
I put 10/30 signature series with amsoil filter in my 5.0 that gets 8,000 miles a year. My 1000 mile a year Fox gets dominator.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
Is dominator a 100% full synthetic like the signature series?

I am still considering the 10w-40 also ... just not sure how much the 170 thermostat is really going to affect the viscosity.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Just a heads up... Most Amsoil reps will steer you clear of Dominator for anything other than a track car, apparently Dominator does not have the same properties as signature series for any type of real milage. You would have to talk to a rep for the specifics...

Dominator doesn't have as much active additive contained in the formulation when compared to Signature Series, but it has more than enough for a 5,000 mile interval.

Serious oval track racers beat this stuff up weekend after weekend. They send it in, and the TBN is sufficient for continued use.

I ran it for 2,000 miles in my GT500, still had more than enough additives for 5,000 miles.

Signature Series is rated for 15,000 miles or one year (severe service). It has a boatload of active additive, but not nearly as aggressive anti-wear additives.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
What's the advantage of dominator then? Is less additives better for cars that are run hard?
Is 10w-30 to light for the hot Louisiana climate?

1hot281

Established Member
Signature Series is rated for 15,000 miles or one year (severe service). It has a boatload of active additive, but not nearly as aggressive anti-wear additives.

What's the advantage of dominator then? Is less additives better for cars that are run hard?
Is 10w-30 to light for the hot Louisiana climate?

:read:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Mix the two... 4 qts of each!

Don't know that I would mix the two, since they are not even close.

Signature is fine for the heat, better than any 30 grade lubricant you could choose off the shelf. I prefer Dominator for cars that are high HP (radical builds) that are not driven as much.

Signature Series is better suited to cars that are driven all the time, average to lower HP cars.

You can use either for all applications, but it's better suited outlined above. Kinda like not wearing ankle socks in a business suit.

Danno44

Squatchin
Established Member
Good info. Would you recommend dominator for an E-85 cobra? Which weight?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Would a car having, or not having cats affect your decision on what oil you would use?

No, because the entire decision to limit ZDDP in passenger car engine lubricants were based on lubricants having NOACK Volatility up to 15% (API maximum allowed).

A lubricant with low NOACK could have higher concentrations of ZDDP, yet not contaminate the catalyst anymore than a lubricant with high NOACK and lower ZDDP ppm.

Amsoil has been arguing this with the American Petroleum Institute for a long time. The argument falls on deaf ears, since the API is extremely biased on big petroleum oil companies who fund them. The argument is this....

A lubricant's ZDDP maximum ppm content should be decided by the NOACK Volatility percentage, not the same ppm cap for all lubricants.

Last edited:

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Unleashed

My turn to pick the brain :-D

The current build on the mustang I've got is a vortech supercharged 302 motor,around 450 horsepower +/- haven't had it on the dyno yet,etc. The car will be raced on weekends a few times a summer and to car shows,cruising,etc.

Pick an oil for me :thumbsup:

BIGMACHDADDY

Established Member
Premium Member
No, because the entire decision to limit ZDDP in passenger car engine lubricants were based on lubricants having NOACK Volatility up to 15% (API maximum allowed).

A lubricant with low NOACK could have higher concentrations of ZDDP, yet not contaminate the catalyst anymore than a lubricant with high NOACK and lower ZDDP ppm.

Amsoil has been arguing this with the American Petroleum Institute for a long time. The argument falls on deaf ears, since the API is extremely biased on big petroleum oil companies who fund them. The argument is this....

A lubricant's ZDDP maximum ppm content should be decided by the NOACK Volatility percentage, not the same ppm cap for all lubricants.

Great info!

Users who are viewing this thread