Ancient Galaxy Is Farthest Ever Seen

o2k

Noob
Established Member
For all of you who enjoy Snover's threads..

Ancient_Galaxy_Is_Farthest_Ever-345f4114cb9b127ab07f9e6fd123f243

Scientists have discovered the most distant and ancient galaxy ever spotted.

By using data collected by the Hubble Space Telescope and observations from the Keck I telescope at the Keck Observatory in Hawaii, astronomers have now confirmed that the galaxy designated z8_GND_5296 formed within 700 million years after the beginning of the universe, making it the oldest and most distant galaxy ever verified.

Because the galaxy is so far from Earth, scientists were able to observe z8_GND_5296 as it would have appeared about 13.1 billion years ago. [How Galaxies are Classified by Type (Infographic)]

"The most exciting aspect in general of what I do is the fact that we can learn about what things were like in the very early universe," Steven Finkelstein, the lead author of an astronomer at the University of Texas, Austin, said. "Because the speed of light is not constant, light takes time to get here, we're not seeing these galaxies as they are now. We're seeing them as they were 13 billion years ago which is 95 percent of the way back to the Big Bang."

Scientists are seeing the galaxy as it was when it was very young. Many of the now old stars that were part of the galaxy are probably still in existence today, but they might be part of a bigger galaxy, Finkelstein told SPACE.com

It's possible that Hubble has detected galaxies that are farther away, but z8_GND_5296 is the farthest galaxy confirmed by follow-up observations using other astronomical instruments, scientists said.

Hubble's CANDELS (Cosmic Assembly Near-infrared Deep Extragalactic Legacy) survey has discovered about 100,000 galaxies, and the team of astronomers observed 43 of them for the new study, published in the journal Nature.

Scientists use hydrogen to calculate distances of galaxies. The research team searched for a hydrogen emission line in the 43 galaxies they observed, but they only saw the emission line in z8_GND_5296. This surprised the astronomers because they were expecting to find about six galaxies with the emission line,

"This work shows that, with new technology, it has finally become possible to make significant advances in the detection of yet more distant galaxies," Dominik Riechers, an astronomer who wrote a commentary about the new study, told SPACE.com via email.

"However, the work also mentions that they expected to find six galaxies at similar distances, but just were able to confirm one," he added. "Thus, we know now that we will be able to push the frontiers in studies of the early universe further, but it may be even harder than anticipated."

It's possible that scientists got these results from peering deeply into "the era when the universe made its transition from an opaque state, in which most of the hydrogen gas between galaxies is neutral, to a translucent state, in which most of the hydrogen is ionized," representatives from the University of Texas at Austin said in a statement.

Galaxy z8_GND_5296 has another extraordinary quality: The most distant and ancient galaxy also produces stars about 150 times more quickly than the Milky Way. While the Milky Way may produce about one or two sunlike stars each year, z8_GND_5296 birthed about 300 per year approximately 13 billion years ago, according to the astronomers' observations.

The new record holder for distance is in the same part of the sky as the previous record holder, which also has a high rate of star formation.

"It could be that we found two weirdoes, but now we've found two weirdoes in the same Hubble image in this tiny little region of the sky," Finkelstein said. "More than likely, they're not weirdoes. I think what it's telling us is that in the distant universe you can actually make a decent number of these galaxies."

galaxies-distance-hubble-131021b-02.jpg

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Very cool. I like how they use the hydrogen line to determine age which therefore leads to a determination of distance. I wish I had thought of that.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
The universe blows my mind

This!

I wish I could travel it all. Theres no doubt in my mind with that many different galaxies that there is life out there. Not just life but probably countless different types.

When you really think about it that way im sure there has to be a life form way wayy wayyyyyy more advanced than us due to them being around much longer. Kinda makes aliens visiting us seem not so crazy...

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Very interesting, last nigt i was just reading about the andromeda's future collision.

Notsoslowbowtie

Established Member
This!

I wish I could travel it all. Theres no doubt in my mind with that many different galaxies that there is life out there. Not just life but probably countless different types.

When you really think about it that way im sure there has to be a life form way wayy wayyyyyy more advanced than us due to them being around much longer. Kinda makes aliens visiting us seem not so crazy...

And they could help us make our cobras faster with new technology! Hopefully they have there own version of a 03/04 cobra! Haha j/k. But agree with ^^^this statement. The possibilities and ideas are endless! Good read!

LS2GTO

Established Member
the galaxy designated z8_GND_5296

These scientists/astronomers sure have a wild imagination when it comes with names.

Maybe that's why they are scientists and not philosophers or authors.

Steve@CJPP

Mind+Blown.gif

to much to handle, it's so mind blowing when the talk about the beginning of the universe because then I start thinking how far does space go and what was it before space and that's about when I start pulling out my hair. All I know is I would be the first one to sign up for some Star Trek type space exploration.

Last edited:

Stang Lover

Established Member
Probably some planet with floating cities or something that we only see in video games and movies.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Mind+Blown.gif

to much to handle, it's so mind blowing when the talk about the beginning of the universe because then I start thinking how far does space go and what was it before space and that's about when I start pulling out my hair. All I know is I would be the first one to sign up for some Star Trek type space exploration.

X2! Its mind boggling & so frustrating!! If they had an option in 25 years (id be 53) to be able to freeze humans and bring them back at anytime id think id sign up! Defrost me 200 years from now. Kinda extreme but im that interested in what the future holds. Lol

Jefe

Established Member
Hubble is still kicking. I cant wait for the James webb telescope! The possibilities will be infinite.
I went and saw them build one of the mirrors for the GMT(Giant Magellan Telescope) that will be completed in 2020 in Chile. They are building the 7 mirrors here underneath the Arizona Football Stadium. They estimate it will be 5-10 times as powerful as any existing earth based light gathering instrument

Each mirror takes several years to complete. Once they are cast, they cool off for 6 months :lol1:

Capture_zpsac16a8cc.jpg

They were polishing the 2nd mirror while I was in there. There is someone in the group working on this thing 24 hours a day. They polish the glass down until it is 1000th the thickness of a human hair:

IMG_20130531_153938_zpsad5d4275.jpg

Here's the third mirror mold being built:

IMG_20130531_155116_zpsf921bf0e.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread