Another build thread

MastaAce03

Established Member
Finished up final dyno tuning this past week. Had some issues with either my fuel quality or the tuner simply trying to run too much timing for the cylinder pressures involved here. Car was nearly empty and filled with fresh 93 the day before the tune.

First pull, the knock sensor was going nuts and pulled 6* timing. AFR on log looked good, pulled a couple plugs and no signs of detonation or running lean. Tuner suggested it was false knock and asked my permission to turn the knock sensor off. I wasn’t comfortable with that without trying to verify the fuel quality, so I added a bottle of Octanium to just about 10 gallons of gas, which would raise me about 8 octane points according to the bottle.

Second pull was better, but the knock sensor still pulled 3*. 3* was then removed from the tune and another run was made and everything looked good, no knock. Made two more pulls to finish up and all was well. I need to do a couple of datalogs on the street once I burn this tank of gas off to see if we’re still picking up knock on fresh 93. It would be hard for me to believe I could’ve pumped anything less than 87 octane in the car....how bad could the 93 octane at the pump be? That would’ve left me with a minimum of 95 octane on the dyno, but most likely higher, so I don’t fully trust this tune yet. I have since swapped the stock TVS pulley back on the blower in place of the 2.5”, 10% lower stayed.

Car made 757/733 on a Mustang dyno, 15* timing. Was a little heat soaked at this point. Had to run the car on the dyno for about 10 minutes to mix the Octanium and then did three pulls back to back to back. No time for a glory run. Boost peaked at about 19lbs at 3800 and then the cams did their thing and bled it off, came down to about 16lbs by the end of the run. Will be switching over to a Whipple this coming winter, which will let me turn things up for a good MS109 tune.

Car is running great, I’m pleased with it. Less pleased with the tuning, especially the immediate suggestion to disable the knock sensor before fuel quality was even determined.

View attachment 1483957

Between what RPM ranges was the knock showing? 19lbs is a lot of boost even with the best 93, but I think you already know that.

Great numbers and congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBB

Established Member
Between what RPM ranges was the knock showing? 19lbs is a lot of boost even with the best 93, but I think you already know that.

Great numbers and congratulations.

The initial runs were from 2000-5000. It was picking up knock the entire time. I figured the pulley combo was borderline for 93 octane. The cams and cut/port job on the lower intake manifold really helped to bring the boost down, but it still spiked lower in the RPMs. Tuner said let’s roll with that combo, but I don’t trust it so that’s why I put the stock upper back on for now. I don’t need to trash an engine for a couple more lbs of boost.

MastaAce03

Established Member
The initial runs were from 2000-5000. It was picking up knock the entire time. I figured the pulley combo was borderline for 93 octane, the cams and cut/port job on the lower intake manifold really helped to bring the boost down, but it still spiked lower in the RPMs. Tuner said let’s roll with that combo, but I don’t trust it so that’s why I put the stock upper back on for now. I don’t need to trash an engine for a couple more lbs of boost.

Exactly. You’re already making some big power for the streets. Sounds insane as well.

RBB

Established Member
Exactly. You’re already making some big power for the streets. Sounds insane as well.

I do track it, so I’m trying to squeeze all I can out of it. Will have to wait for the Whipple to do that. I played around on the street some this weekend and there’s not much traction until 3rd gear. I’ve been waiting on a new set of wheels for about 8 weeks now, so hoping they’ll come in soon and I’m going to try some ET Streets this time around. Think that’ll be a noticeable improvement over the 555R stuffed on the stock rims.

It is so loud....I love the exhaust combo on there, but it’s going
to attract unwanted attention on the street when I decide to play around. Cops are terrible around here.

Users who are viewing this thread