Another build thread

RBB

Established Member
Glad to hear LR dug in a little more and didn't leave you trying to sort this out on your own. Stay with it & you'll get where you need to be.

Good Luck

Let us know how it turns out.

Hope to get over there and give it a go in a couple hours. I'm not holding my breath. I know that many times when you get the wrench light, the car goes into limp mode, but I don't know if it ALWAYS throws you into limp mode. Still seems like there's something going on with the throttle body calibration, etc with the way it was idling. Of course, I could see why FPDM fault codes would throw the car into limp mode as well....if the PCM doesn't think you're getting enough fuel that would make sense. Lund has never let me down, so hoping it'll all be resolved without too much trouble.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
VMP Twin 67, X3. There were no issues loading the tune, everything went fine. I've been running this TB for 2 years now with no issues.
I really hope the tune revision works out.
If it doesn't, I hope you don't have a faulty X3. After I loaded a tune with my X3 for new winter mods including a new TB, I had very similar issues with the wrench. Finally uploaded same tunes from Lund but on a new X4 and no issues. Tried several re flashes, new battery, even took to dealer and all dead ends. The X3s don't work as well as the X4s on newer 2011+ cars I was told. Basically it appears the tune on X3 was uploaded but never actually was, hence the wrench.
-J

RBB

Established Member
We're in business now. Second tune file is good to go....no wrench light, no limp mode, car runs fine. Idle was set a little on the high side due to all the issues with the first one, but will come back down after some revisions. Lund is happy with the idle log, will do some cruise logs this weekend and get some break in miles on it. Ready to get this whole project wrapped up.

RBB

Established Member
I really hope the tune revision works out.
If it doesn't, I hope you don't have a faulty X3. After I loaded a tune with my X3 for new winter mods including a new TB, I had very similar issues with the wrench. Finally uploaded same tunes from Lund but on a new X4 and no issues. Tried several re flashes, new battery, even took to dealer and all dead ends. The X3s don't work as well as the X4s on newer 2011+ cars I was told. Basically it appears the tune on X3 was uploaded but never actually was, hence the wrench.
-J
I've never heard of those issues with the X3....second tune is looking good for me. I think the main issue was the fault codes he hadn't turned off triggering limp mode.

So did your X3 actually complete the entire process, or did it freeze up when you had the issues?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Glad it's fixed man!
Yes in my case it seemed like the X3 loaded the tune but it didn't, the Lund Racing distributor I had ordered through said the X4s work better on the '11+ cars.
Enjoy the beast, lots of power in that combo.
-J

RL1286

Established Member
Good to hear it was just in the tune. I could listen to that all day.

moncho

Established Member
Yup that sounds killer! Again great that LR came through. Now your one step closer to your goals. Giddy up!

Cheers!

RBB

Established Member
Glad it's fixed man!
Yes in my case it seemed like the X3 loaded the tune but it didn't, the Lund Racing distributor I had ordered through said the X4s work better on the '11+ cars.
Enjoy the beast, lots of power in that combo.
-J
Yeah, glad that was an easy fix. J, what intake are you running? I've got a PMAS 120 on there right now and Jim mentioned I would probably max it out, or be extremely close to it. Was thinking about getting a DD149 before I hit the dyno.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I run a JLT 155 (CF version of 148) and have a PMAS DD 149 in the box waiting for a comparison on a 1000rwhp combo (upcoming TVS2650).
You will definitely want more air flow as you will easily be over 800rwhp.
What is the the induction package now--which TVS and TB? You'll be going Gen3 2650 also correct?
-J

RBB

Established Member
I run a JLT 155 (CF version of 148) and have a PMAS DD 149 in the box waiting for a comparison on a 1000rwhp combo (upcoming TVS2650).
You will definitely want more air flow as you will easily be over 800rwhp.
What is the the induction package now--which TVS and TB? You'll be going Gen3 2650 also correct?
-J
Correct, I'll be going Gen3 at some point in the near future and I know I'd need to step up at that point, so why bother waiting? I'm running a non-ported Trinity TVS, stock elbow, and will be sticking with my twin 67 TB....no point in upgrading anything there with the Gen3 right around the corner.

I'm on the fence about picking up the Gen3 right at launch. Part of me wants to get used to what I've got now before stepping it up, other part says why wait?

RBB

Established Member
Did some idle and cruise logs today and I thought I'd comment on the JDM SS cams for anyone interested. They're very streetable even at low speed. Lugging the car in 5th or 6th might not be a great idea, but I noticed no real difference other than the awesome idle sound.

Buddy of mine who has owned an 07 Shelby since day one was along for the ride and made the same observation. Other than the sound, you wouldn't know the car wasn't stock under most normal driving conditions. We were both impressed with the street manners.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
When its time to upgrade, i say DD149 all the way. Bimini will certainly have some great data for comparison. But if history is any indication, the PMAS is will prevail

RBB

Established Member
Update - after 1.5 months, the engine bay is finally back together. I had my lower intake manifold ported by 1320 and he had a 13/14 intercooler with the J2Fab flow mod that he had just pulled off his 2012 for a turbo build. I took the opportunity and picked that up from him at the time. Had to come off the lower intake coolant block with some AN fittings to 1" hose and reduce down to 3/4" hose and the size of everything presented some challenges with the routing (you can zoom in and see one of them in the pic). The end result was the 3x IC reservoir I had would not bolt back into the correct position, so we had to remove the radiator cover and move the tank over.

Ordered some aluminum tanks from Moroso, which were on backorder for a few weeks and they finally arrived. My buddy welded a new barb onto the IC tank further on over to the driver's side so the tank could be properly placed and the rad cover could go back on. Finished up some random wiring, new gauge setup, new shocks, low vacuum bypass, and some other odds and ends. New wheels and tires are on the way. Still undecided on a new blower....was originally going to go with a Gen3 TVS, but I'm liking the looks of the Gen3 Whipples as well. Going to wait on that for a minute until I see some more data and make a decision this fall. Got my recommended break in miles in already and the remote tune is scheduled for 4/24.

engine bay.jpg

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Looking good man.
I’m also on the fence on what Gen 3 to go with. Tuning scheduled 4/27 either way.
-J

RBB

Established Member
Looking good man.
I’m also on the fence on what Gen 3 to go with. Tuning scheduled 4/27 either way.
-J
I’m actually leaning towards the Whipple. I don’t mind giving up a little torque on the hit. Got more than enough anyways, and picking up some steam up top where these cams start to shine sounds good to me.

Awesome news! Got any vids to post up?
Not really Ed. It’s just tuned to cruise around right now, so nothing exciting to show. I do have a few idle vids, thought I posted one up, but here it is if you missed it.

This thing was pretty quiet at idle and cruise before the cams even with the LTs. Not anymore, loud as hell now even idling. WOT hits are going to be deafening. I will definitely record the dyno runs.

RBB

Established Member
Finished up final dyno tuning this past week. Had some issues with either my fuel quality or the tuner simply trying to run too much timing for the cylinder pressures involved here. Car was nearly empty and filled with fresh 93 the day before the tune.

First pull, the knock sensor was going nuts and pulled 6* timing. AFR on log looked good, pulled a couple plugs and no signs of detonation or running lean. Tuner suggested it was false knock and asked my permission to turn the knock sensor off. I wasn’t comfortable with that without trying to verify the fuel quality, so I added a bottle of Octanium to just about 10 gallons of gas, which would raise me about 8 octane points according to the bottle.

Second pull was better, but the knock sensor still pulled 3*. 3* was then removed from the tune and another run was made and everything looked good, no knock. Made two more pulls to finish up and all was well. I need to do a couple of datalogs on the street once I burn this tank of gas off to see if we’re still picking up knock on fresh 93, since I have no idea what the octane of the concoction in there is at the moment. It would be hard for me to believe I could’ve pumped anything less than 87 octane in the car....how bad could the 93 octane at the pump be? That would’ve left me with a minimum of 95 octane on the dyno, but most likely higher, so I don’t fully trust this tune yet. I have since swapped the stock TVS pulley back on the blower in place of the 2.5”, 10% lower stayed.

Car made 757/733 on a Mustang dyno, 15* timing. Was a little heat soaked at this point. Had to run the car on the dyno for about 10 minutes to mix the Octanium and then did three pulls back to back to back. No time for a glory run. Boost peaked at about 19lbs at 3800 and then the cams did their thing and bled it off, came down to about 16lbs by the end of the run. Will be switching over to a Whipple this coming winter, which will let me turn things up for a good MS109 tune.

Car is running great, I’m pleased with it. Less pleased with the tuning, especially the immediate suggestion to disable the knock sensor before fuel quality was even determined.

1DB22F24-B518-4A4E-BFF8-1CC1A9392453.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread