Another clutch issue...throwing sparks

Leeiswho2b

I'll be your huckleberry!
Established Member
I've searched the forums and haven't seen anyone with that problem. Anyways I was getting on it today with a friend behind me (@ the track). I was pulling 2nd then suddenly it redlined due to the clutch slipping. I pulled over and the friend said there was sparks everywhere underneath the car when it happened. It was hard to get into any gear and it wouldn't pull until the clutch pedal was almost completely out. You could barely give it throttle without the clutch slipping.

Let it cool down for a bit (was a 100* day) and babied it trying to get home. I tested it right before I got home and noticed it did pull better, but still by no means right. It would be fine then it felt like wheel hop when it started slipping again. I had noticed before that if you were in boost it was hard to get into 2nd and would grind a bit.

I bought it off a local chevy dealership used a little over a month ago. Was traded in on a ZR1. Bought it with 1140 miles on the clock and currently has 2100. I have done the normal mods and am running MT ET Streets.

I know I'll probably have to return completely to stock, but will this be covered under warranty or the tsb? Anyone have this happen?

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Sounds like you are going back to stock and visiting Ford if you can't afford to replace it on your own and hope for the TSB replacement. Did the Chevy place give you any sort of warranty? The previous owner might have beat the hell out of it.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
sounds like you are going back to stock and visiting ford if you can't afford to replace it on your own and hope for the tsb replacement. Did the chevy place give you any sort of warranty? The previous owner might have beat the hell out of it.

+1

que4dog

Established Member
If Ford does not help and you can do the install, since you are low on cash I can send you my stock clutch & flywheel for FREE. You just pay shipping. I had 0 problems with mine. If funds were not an issue, after market all the way.

Last edited:

barstoolman

Established Member
I think you missed the upgraded clutch date by about 12 days...

The original upgrade wasn't worth a damn anyway. Tthe only stock clutch that is decent is the one current for the 2010-2011. If you can get the dealer to agree that your problem falls under the current TSB, you'll be fine for now and change it out to aftermarket when you have the funds.

Leeiswho2b

Established Member
If Ford does not help and you can do the install, since you are low on cash I can send you my stock clutch & flywheel for FREE. You just pay shipping. I had 0 problems with mine. If funds were not an issue, after market all the way.

I will definitely let you know!!!! That's an awesome offer! I'm sure I could. I installed a Spec Stage 3+ in my 93 Cobra about 2 months ago. Only difference is bleeding it on a hydraulic?

I've been doing a little research and the Spec Stage 3+ with aluminum flywheel seems to be working for a lot of people. Running around $800. Although most say that it will void your powertrain warranty.

Again, thanks for the offer!

Last edited:

Leeiswho2b

Established Member
Waited until this morning to see how it acted. Clutch pedal feels very stiff (stiffer than factory was by far), feels like wheel hop in boost in every gear while it still slips when above 3500 rpms. Still will not pull until clutch pedal is almost fully released. Definitely time for a different clutch!!!!

Leeiswho2b

Established Member

What clutch did you go with going TT route?

I've been racking my brain if it could have been me (user error) damaging the clutch. But I don't ride it at all when driving and when at the track I was leaving between 2500-3k. I wasn't slipping the clutch, just letting it out all the way in a fluid motion without straight out dropping it. Tracked my 03 in the same manner and never had a problem with it. Although it did have a Spec in it. I only was able to get 5 passes in. It was always hard to get into second when getting on it even on the street. It would grind. I did have clutch chatter (TOB) and shuttering in 1st and reverse, but just thought it was "normal characteristics" of a high performance clutch (what a joke) in Ford's eye.

que4dog

Established Member
I will definitely let you know!!!! That's an awesome offer! I'm sure I could. I installed a Spec Stage 3+ in my 93 Cobra about 2 months ago. Only difference is bleeding it on a hydraulic?

I've been doing a little research and the Spec Stage 3+ with aluminum flywheel seems to be working for a lot of people. Running around $800. Although most say that it will void your powertrain warranty.

Again, thanks for the offer!

No problem. If you need it, it's yours.

Users who are viewing this thread