Another DFX bites the dust

silvercoffin

Established Member
WHAT IS THIS?
http://www.esimracing.com/stang/vids...h/clicking.wmv

I have been through 3 ford racing clutches and never heard them sound like that even when I could barely shift my car.

Could that just not be installed correctly?

Could there be a problem with combining different fly wheels and clutches?

It seems like people with problems on the net and at the track have all sorts of weird combinations including hybrid spec clutches???

silvercoffin

Established Member
Info

CENTERFORCE INFO
(The company they work under is actually called Midway INdustries)

Advertising
Bryan Wilson - (928) 771-8422 x21

New Accounts
Richard Hill - (928) 771-8422 x14

Promotions & Exhibitions
Larry Clark - (928) 771-8422 x30

Sales & Applications
Larry Clark - (928) 771-8422 x30

Sponorships
Jan Dwyer @ Schiefer Media, Inc. - (714) 241-1116

Tech Department
Roger Warner - (928) 771-8422 x32

Tech Department
Brian Hankla - (928) 771-8422 x36

EVERYONE that is having a problem or even a concern with their product because of this site should call and mention this site and what you have read.

You can leave a message with the office by pressing 0 if you dont feel like spending time getting a person. Maybe that will clear things up for people that are having problems and for those of us considering their product. Just knowing so many people are unhappy or have concerns could get something done.

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

I talked to Centerforce again over my concerns about buying this clutch. I was impressed with the phone call back and with all the detailed information that was given to me about installation and in regards to the way clutches are made and tested.

The rep that called me back this time said that I should break it in if I want it to last and that I should break it in if I plan on driving it on to my trailer. He recommended a winch be used if I was going to put the car on the trailer, especially if I was not planning on not breaking in the clutch. Basically, I was told that I didn't have to break it in, but that it was a good idea to do so.

While I still doubt that Centerforce is a poor choice to go with, this information was different than what I was told by another Centerforce Rep months ago. During that phone call I was told no break in necessary even when I asked if I could go directly to the race track after installation. I was also told during my first phone call that I would have no problem getting the car on the trailer and never told that I would shorten the life of the clutch by doing so.

I was very happy for the phone call back, but I was disappointed by the conflicting info I received. I would have spent a lot of money and could have blown the clutch taking it to the track with no break in (which would not be covered under warrenty) I was told during this call that there is "not much of a warrenty" on performance clutches unless serious manufacturer flaws can be seen. Not sure what to go with now, but since Centerforce is requiring a break in, I am going to look into all my options now.

I am disappointed about the break in needed. That was my main reason for going with their clutch. I never drive my car so 500 mile break in takes forever.

Maybe I should save up the money and put a auto trans in now.

Last edited:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
I heard there is a break in for the DF and no break in for the DFX. but again what people think is break in may be different from one person to the next. I drive my car daily, 18 miles each way to work (30 minutes at least), sometimes stop and go traffic. When I get my DF I will do this for 500 miles before I make it scream!

Others who drive their cars less often may drive very short distances and although may get to the 500 mile mark did not really warm them up slowly for the clutch to truly break in (same thing with going to track straight after install)

Last edited:

fast440

Established Member
Dfx

Just spoke with Centerforce finally today after dealing with 2 different people and they can see that the clutch got hot and spun, and thats about it . They do not want to stand behind it.They said that there is no warranty , but they would help out on the cost of another clutch setup. They dont think many people out of the 200 DFX clutch kits that they sold have had problems. Please post here if you DID indeed have a problem with it.:shrug:

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

"I heard there is a break in for the DF and no break in for the DFX"

Yeah.. Thats what I heard and thats why I called the first time. I wanted to confirm that rumor that I heard on the net. The first Centerforce Rep I spoke with said that was absolutely true and that I wouldnt have a problem getting the car on the trailer. Just a few days ago I spoke with someone else from Centerforce who said that wasnt such a great idea.

If I had consistent information I would go with them still, but if I have to break it in anyway..I might just go with another cheap ford racing clutch. I make them last a few seasons and I dont plan on going with more power for a while...

Just seems like you can find discontent people via the net or at the race track...with a variety of brands.

What about Ram Clutches?

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

I guess I better ask people at the track. Does anyone here actually race their car frequently?

SO many people mod te hell out their car just to drive it around town.

I want info from people that are beating the hell out of their car at the track...info about clutches.. I guess I better just ask around at the track becuase there is just too much bs and inaccurate info on the net.

Or maybe I should just go with another Ford clutch. They always last me around two seasons of weekly racing.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
silvercoffin said:
I guess I better ask people at the track. Does anyone here actually race their car frequently?

SO many people mod te hell out their car just to drive it around town.

I want info from people that are beating the hell out of their car at the track...info about clutches.. I guess I better just ask around at the track becuase there is just too much bs and inaccurate info on the net.

Or maybe I should just go with another Ford clutch. They always last me around two seasons of weekly racing.

I bracket race 3 to 4 times a month from april till the end of the season which is October. The CFDF lasted me a total of 1 1/2 months - and yes this was a recommendation from the boards here & modfords..:mj: I've had the Spec 3 in for 2 years now and it is doing fine! This was the recommendation from the track guys! I've got the spec 3+ in my garage that will be going in after the season is over. I figure 2 year of hard abuse at the track is all I can ask for.

A few of my buddies with Cobras that race with 600+ HP have the Spec 5 and are having great sucess with it!

Last edited:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
The dual friction and DFX look totally different, did yours have a puck design or did it look like a round disc?....with your hp I doubt a regular dual friction would hold up very long

Maybe it's a possibility they pack the same instructions with every disc they sell to cover thier ass

Im pretty sure it was the one with the pucks.

and for he record I hate specs, it had to be the worst daily driver clutch Ive ever used. Chattered like a beotch and just got worse in stop and go traffic.
Fellow cobra club members had the same problem with the Spec3.

im not sure which centerforce people are having problems with but the one I have is still running strong after 10k miles of stop and go traffic and hard pulls when it opens up. Slight chatter the first couple stops in the morning and thats about it.

when they took the spec3 out of my car you could tell it wasnt holding the power completely and was spinning and hotspoting the plate. and thats with no track time, just back and forth to work.

not sure if specs are all bad maybe i got a bad one just like people who got a bad centerforce but the centerforce is much more streetable, less clutch pedal pressure and less chatter then teh spec3 i had.

ah well, for all we know they both suck and your just lucky if you get one that hold up lol.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
BuffDigits said:
and for he record I hate specs, it had to be the worst daily driver clutch Ive ever used. Chattered like a beotch and just got worse in stop and go traffic.
Fellow cobra club members had the same problem with the Spec3.

not sure if specs are all bad maybe i got a bad one just like people who got a bad centerforce but the centerforce is much more streetable, less clutch pedal pressure and less chatter then teh spec3 i had.

Yep we read about good experiences & bad ones with all types of clutches. I'll get a slight chatter every now & then - but no problems daily driving, stop & go traffic, etc & boy does this clutch take abuse and keep on getting up!! I was so dissapointed with the weak ass CFDF - my stock clutch held up so much better!

rmgtc01

Established Member
fast440 said:
Just spoke with Centerforce finally today after dealing with 2 different people and they can see that the clutch got hot and spun, and thats about it . They do not want to stand behind it.They said that there is no warranty , but they would help out on the cost of another clutch setup. They dont think many people out of the 200 DFX clutch kits that they sold have had problems. Please post here if you DID indeed have a problem with it.:shrug:

I had a bad PP twice. (no pun) Never got any satisfaction out of them. Am I to assume they are starting to come around now. I bought both through Lethal, so not sure what they can do.

Users who are viewing this thread