Another Evo/03 match

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Got a chance to play with a nice blue Evo this weekend, twice. It was covered in stickers and had very pimpy wheels (professionally done) and the name of some auto sound company on the bumper (SxxxSOUNDSUSA.COM or something like that) and side windows- it looked like a demo vehicle for the company.

We followed each other through traffic until we got to Pacific Coast Highway. He made a right onto an empty 3 lane road and nailed it. I followed and hit 2nd as soon as we got straightened out and promptly lost traction, so I stayed several feet off his rear bumper for about 2 seconds, then the 03 just HOOKED. The Cobra flat out WALKED the Evo. In one gear I went from a 1/2 car disadvangate to a 2 car lead - and pulling away at a pretty good clip. I let off at the top of 3rd with the Evo several cars back.

Next we end up at a light- The Evo, Me and a blue/silver sport bike in the 3rd lane. I wasn't planning on racing the bike, but he appearently noticed the setup and decided to join in. By the top of second it was just me and the bike- the Evo was several cars back and fading rapidly (the bike stayed at my passanger door through 3rd when he let off).

I'm actually very suprised the Evo wasn't more of a challange, although I think that because it was a sound company demo car it was probably loaded down with couple hundred pounds of audio gear.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
nice going

thats the way it should be!

those little rice 4 bangers shouldnt be anywhere close to our cobras also I am pretty sure he did not stand a chance anyways becuase of your mods

congratulations on the win I have wanted to race a evo/wrx becuase supposedly they are really fast but I havent had the chance yet.

"look like a mustang, bite like a cobra"

03cobrarocks

Established Member
o yea i almost forgot I noticed you have the stock tires yes kinda of depression but so do I? but with you having that much more rwhp over stock if you had wider tires out back say 10 or 10.5 it would not even be a race

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
good kill, but with your mods and your trap speeds (about 17mph faster than your average stock evo), I don't doubt he wasn't much trouble for you once you hooked up.

Man, there are lots of evo vs 03 races lately...

Last edited:

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
275 BFG KD's which are smokin' in the twisties but pretty decent in the straight line too. They'll still spin through 2nd gear, but not nearly as much as the F1's, and it's easier to control the full throttle slide. The stock F1's go right to redline in the first 2 gears with little or no control and don't bit until well into 3rd gear.

I'm not suprised by all the Evo/03 races- those and the STi's are the fastest in their class. If they weren't decently fast, nobody would care if you beat one :) Reminds me of the contemporary grand daddy to all this 4 cylinder turbo madness- the mid/late 1980's Dodge Omni GLH/GLHS which tortured a lot of unsuspecting domestics back then.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by EvoOwner
good kill, but with your mods and your trap speeds (about 17mph faster than your average stock evo), I don't doubt he wasn't much trouble for you once you hooked up.

Man, there are lots of evo vs 03 races lately...

That's because there are finally enough Evo's around to go after. They are just as rare as the Cobra's so the chance of hooking up with one are slim at best.

Good Kill!!

:burnout:

03DOHC

Established Member
Good kill. :beer:

Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
That's because there are finally enough Evo's around to go after. They are just as rare as the Cobra's so the chance of hooking up with one are slim at best.

Good Kill!!

:burnout:
They're a dime-a-dozen here. Someone in my complex owns a red one. He wont even look at me when I pull into the parking lot. Must be my aura. Either that or he knows better. :)

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
Good kill. :beer:

They're a dime-a-dozen here. Someone in my complex owns a red one. He wont even look at me when I pull into the parking lot. Must be my aura. Either that or he knows better. :)

Wonder if all the Evo's are in Cali. I've seen like 4 here in the past 10 months.

:shrug:

EvoOwner

Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC

Maybe he thinks it's just a regular mustang. :)

Thats odd though, over here evo's are scarce, but I've seen quite a few cobras (not 03 cobras though, I've only seen 1 to date and i wasn't in my car).

Last edited:

mx_9

Established Member
I've seen 3 EVO's over the past year. I see 3 Cobra's out in my parking lot...lot's of Cobra's around here. Not sure how many are '03+ though.

EvoOwner

Established Member
03's have a double slotted hood where 01's have a single. 03's have a rear spoiler glued to the trunk lid (instead of raised like the 01's have). There are other differences, but this is what I look for. (thanks PC)

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
just wondering if there is a red evo owner thats on this site that got a ticket about a month ago. this guy did a flyby (i hate that crap) and then when i saw him at the next light, he tried racing me with a cop in the oncomming lane... i obviously wasn't going to race with a cop right in front of us but he wasn't paying attention and ended up being pulled over almost a full 10 blocks up... even tried to warn the guy when he took off!... since he seemed so cocky, i laughed my ass off. r u here, and would you have the balls to admit it?

MACH1PB

Established Member
i'm from so cali and i see more evos and cobras....and even then i rarely see both....took one evo on and didnt meet the machs stock standards even tho it was a close one with me bout a car lenght ahead @ 110mph...
if it cant beat a stock mach, no match for a cobra:rockon:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Get some decent tires and the evo will fade back a lot faster I pulled one off the line on a decent new road. the guy really nice was real surprised. the f1's are crap for traction. They have four tires hooking up what's wrong with 2 hooking up? :beer:

IE Evo

Established Member
fwiw, With the stock clutch the Evo is hard to launch. Many times while your are spinning the Evo is bogging and off boost. Evo has awd advantage only if owner has figured out how to use it. Many don't as if you practice an Awd launch too many times things break and clutches burn out. I know and I am an idiot Evo owner that has decided that practice doesn't make perfect. Instead practice costs a ton of money.

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
Originally posted by EvoOwner
03's have a double slotted hood where 01's have a single. 03's have a rear spoiler glued to the trunk lid (instead of raised like the 01's have). There are other differences, but this is what I look for. (thanks PC)

2003 was also the largest production year for the SVT Cobra. They made about 13,000 total. Previous years didnt make it over 8000.

Users who are viewing this thread