Another loss in jersey

4.698gt

Established Member
Didn't see anything with a quick search but Atco Raceway suddenly closed up shop last week without warning.

First Englishtown now Atco, all that's left is island drag strip and the NJ motorsports park.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm kind of not surprised. The costs of operation probably became prohibitive. It's popularity has waned over the years, too. Sucks that so many scheduled events over the summer/fall suddenly all got cancelled.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
they weren't making any money. I went on a beautiful Friday night for TnT and it was dead, absolutely pathetic turnout. The writing was on the wall.

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
they weren't making any money. I went on a beautiful Friday night for TnT and it was dead, absolutely pathetic turnout. The writing was on the wall.
The younger generation doesn't seem to think mechanical things are all that fun. Loud, stinky, and confusing. That's what they think of older cars.

Used to go and do TnT and Brackets with the old man, SIR was packed. They had the High School Drags every year too.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I went to our track Saturday night for the first time in 4-5 years and man did I miss it! The sounds, the smells, the cars, the culture. The young just don’t like it…thankfully our track has a good turnout all the time. It is a 90 minute drive for me but I’ll be going more.

Sucks to hear about another track closing but the writing is on the wall for a lot of them. Hobby is dying faster than Joe Biden is.

IA Shelby

Established Member
What will happen to all of those future “hero” runs in the mine shaft air at ATCO? Breaking into the 9’s for those on the east coast just got harder.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
What will happen to all of those future “hero” runs in the mine shaft air at ATCO? Breaking into the 9’s for those on the east coast just got harder.
Cecil and MIR are just as good, just a little bit more of a drive now

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The initial rumor is they are doing the same Englishtown. Some sort of insurance yard for wrecked vehicles waiting on auction.

AFAIK that deal never went through for E town. Raceway park still operates the motocross track as well as the drift track. They still hold events there, just nothing 1/4 or 1/8th mile.

I'm glad I can say I've raced all of the remaining drag strips in NJ, E town was my home track growing up in Central NJ, I went to a TnT at Island in 2018 and I raced at Atco in 2019 during HotRod Drag Week. I'd like to return to Island soon as it's only an hour from me, still the closest track. Maple grove at an hour 20 away is the next track I want to check out.

20190911_100626-X4.jpg

02reaper

Established Member
The younger generation doesn't seem to think mechanical things are all that fun. Loud, stinky, and confusing. That's what they think of older cars.

Used to go and do TnT and Brackets with the old man, SIR was packed. They had the High School Drags every year too.

They sure don't. When I was younger and would go to the local 1/4 mile track it was about an hour and a half away and on a weekday work night. I would go pay my $20 entre fee and most of the time sit in line for hours just to get 1 run in for the night while they let all the door slammers run and run and run. This was street night. I finally got fed up with the track and stopped going. This wasn't Atco.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
They sure don't. When I was younger and would go to the local 1/4 mile track it was about an hour and a half away and on a weekday work night. I would go pay my $20 entre fee and most of the time sit in line for hours just to get 1 run in for the night while they let all the door slammers run and run and run. This was street night. I finally got fed up with the track and stopped going. This wasn't Atco.
Englishtown was like that on really busy nights

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You're way behind.

Users who are viewing this thread