Another one bites the dust (engagement)

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Well, I finally pulled the trigger and asked my girlfriend to marry me. We've been together 3.5 years and I'll be 32 next month and she'll be 30 in July so it was about time. Got her a gift card to a nice restaurant/hotel (with an ice skating rink) here in Madison for Christmas with the promise that I would take her ice skating and out for dinner this past Saturday. Turned out to be very cold and brutally windy so we skipped the ice skating but I still popped the question by the fire pits next to the rink. She had no clue it was coming and I even managed to grab a few beers with her dad on Friday to ask for "permission".

She's a great girl and has put up with me being a crabass over some of the stuff I've had to deal with the last few years. She's by no means a car nut but she will accompany me to a couple cruise-ins per summer and doesn't bitch when I spend reasonable amounts of money on car and/or gun related purchases.

I went to Zales on New Year's Eve and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of ring that we got for the money. I gave her the opportunity to pick out anything within a grand of what I spent and she didn't find anything she liked better.

20160109_190540_zps4tkrls3r.jpg

20160110_145048_zpszvywm0k8.jpg

Any suggestions on wedding ceremonies? As of now we are thinking destination wedding next winter followed by a casual reception in/around Madison in May/June of '17.

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
Congrats! Prepare to get fat and lazy. I gained 15lbs in 2 years. Wife is a hell of a cook.

I always find it funny how men and women differentiate the reason for marriage.

CHICK: "I love him so much, he's my life, we're made for each other. Soulmates...".
DUDE: "Meh, it's about time, we've been together awhile, she puts up with my shit".

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Congrats! Prepare to get fat and lazy. I gained 15lbs in 2 years. Wife is a hell of a cook.

I always find it funny how men and women differentiate the reason for marriage.

CHICK: "I love him so much, he's my life, we're made for each other. Soulmates...".
DUDE: "Meh, it's about time, we've been together awhile, she puts up with my shit".

Thanks! Hopefully not on the 15 lbs! Yup, that's about how it goes. We own a house together so in my mind we were essentially married. In her mind it counted about 1% towards being married.

Couple other pics

Mike%20lake_zpsec6r2qmf.jpg

Mike%20Mud%20run_zps2rdecehv.jpg

MIke%20art%20museum_zps3w4ocavc.jpg

MIke%20tractor_zpsyx5ysmai.jpg

Mike%20Christina%20profile_zpsbfismjte.jpg

Last edited:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Congrats! My wife and I dated for 10 years and when we hit 30, we were like "WTF?" You get so settled into life that time flies! We've been married the last 3 years and are expecting our first child next month! Best thing I ever did and I wish you the best of luck!

nxhappy

Established Member
congrats.

Oh, and I hope you live with each other right now..... LOL

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I got married on a cold day in Hell, so I'm probably not one to offer advice. Takes a different sort of woman to think a wedding in Hell is a good idea.

oldmodman

Established Member
Congratulations!

Have a long and happy life together.

When I saw the title I had this terrible thought that you asked and she said "NO"

Blown 89

Established Member
Any suggestions on wedding ceremonies?.
Yeah, don't spend money on one.

When you get married people seem to want to give you advice and out of the hundreds of people that gave me advice, all but one said not to spend money on the wedding. My wife doesn't listen for a shit and we spent a ton on the wedding (against my wishes) and there hasn't been a day that's gone by since that I wish we didn't. The wedding will test your marriage so elope.....I'm not joking either. Seriously, spend that money on college funds or a vacation or something.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words.

Yeah, don't spend money on one.

When you get married people seem to want to give you advice and out of the hundreds of people that gave me advice, all but one said not to spend money on the wedding. My wife doesn't listen for a shit and we spent a ton on the wedding (against my wishes) and there hasn't been a day that's gone by since that I wish we didn't. The wedding will test your marriage so elope.....I'm not joking either. Seriously, spend that money on college funds or a vacation or something.

Hmm... I think I'll plant this seed. We are going to Vegas in a month...

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Congrats! Seeing a smiling couple that consist of a MAN and a Woman (what a concept) is a pleasant change for all the crap that we endure every day. Many happy years for you...

starnsey

Established Member
Nice man. Congratulations.

As far as wedding advice: the less money the better obviously. And depending on your friends/family and whether or not you're having them at your wedding - a destination wedding can be a real bitch for people that want to be there. If I would have had it my way, I would have just done a backyard wedding with some BBQ. Obviously, the wife wanted more than that so...

SD_GT

Reformed 5.bro
Established Member
Congratulations, man! I don't see myself ever settling down but I'm always happy for the people that do!

Users who are viewing this thread