Another over heating cobra

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I have done a lot of research and there are a ton of overheating threads on here but not many of them follow up with a solution .

Today I put my car on the dyno at a car show to do a few pulls and everything went smooth . I took the car home after and let it sit for 3 or 4 hours and then decided to go for a cruise .

I did a couple short pulls on the highway then went back to cruising speed and eased down on the gas and boom , coolant shot up on my windshield so I pulled over , opened the hood and there was coolant everywhere , but it just appeared to have leaked from the cap on the tank. I have a moroso reservoir with the factory cap . I let the car cool down and topped up the reservoir with some bottled water I had just bought at the gas station and drove to a nearby parking lot .

I let the car idle for a bit and it started to over heat again .I shut it down and burped the system once more using the reservoir cap (my crossover nut is rounded off) then let the car cool down again and drove it home and parked it .The car didn't overheat on the way home as it was mostly all highway driving .

Its weird how it did this all of the sudden . The dyno did not have a fan blowing into the heat exchanger and I had mentioned that it was a concern , but I figured 2 pulls wouldn't hurt . Could the car have overheated on the dyno slightly and air locked? There is no coolant in the oil that I can see , and everything looks fine . On a side note , my car did start making a small ticking noise around the passenger side head a couple weeks ago . I just chalked it up as a small exhaust leak and wasn't to concerned about it . I hope its not a head gasket or something to do with the head .

I am going to try and burp the system again but using the crossover fill tube this time . I just have to find a way to get it out . I am also considering changing the thermostat to see if that helps . Any ideas on what else it could be ? The car has a fresh aluminator with original heads and never had overheating issues prior to today . I always prepare for the worst but was just wondering if anyone else had similar issues and how they resolved them . Any information is appreciated .

SVT_Troy

Established Member
You cannot burp the system using the reservoir, it must be done at the crossover. Since you have yet to do that I would start there. If it's been awhile since you drained and replaced your coolant I would recommend draining it and putting a good 50/50 mix since you live in Canada. Look up the correct burping procedure and read it until you understand it completely. I cannot steer senough that if it is not burped correctly it will over heat. Now would be a good time to get a Riesche 170 degree Tstat if you already don't have one.

The system is not complex, if all components are in working order, there are no leaks the cure is a good proper burping. People think they have done it and still over heat because of trapped air. Elevate the car and burp it.
Follow this link:

http://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html

Your passenger tick is either an exhaust leak as you mentioned or the infamous head tick.....

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Our fans break...check fan ring

resistor for fan goes..green barrel in wiring harness on fan

smallest leak in radiator...bahrs leak...

fan getting weak...

Ive had issues with overheating with ac on and without..

im down to cooling fan not blowing enough on mine..

if I get car hot 222deg or higher...and put water hose in grill..temps fall like a rock down to below 180

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member

fan getting weak...

if I get car hot 222deg or higher...and put water hose in grill..temps fall like a rock down to below 180

Very good information here, good to know, I always keep a eye on temps very close, thanks

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
You cannot burp the system using the reservoir, it must be done at the crossover. Since you have yet to do that I would start there. If it's been awhile since you drained and replaced your coolant I would recommend draining it and putting a good 50/50 mix since you live in Canada. Look up the correct burping procedure and read it until you understand it completely. I cannot steer senough that if it is not burped correctly it will over heat. Now would be a good time to get a Riesche 170 degree Tstat if you already don't have one.

The system is not complex, if all components are in working order, there are no leaks the cure is a good proper burping. People think they have done it and still over heat because of trapped air. Elevate the car and burp it.
Follow this link:

http://www.reischeperformance.com/refill.html

Your passenger tick is either an exhaust leak as you mentioned or the infamous head tick.....

I have read the instructions on how to burp the system a few times now . I am going to try it today if I can get the nut out of the crossover . My coolant is all fresh , just replaced it when I did my block and then topped it off with more new coolant when I did the tanks . Where can I order the Riesche Tstat from ?

I do have a very small leak from the plug on my radiator . I bought a new plug , just haven't found the time to fix it yet , I will fix that as well .

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member

fan getting weak...

The fan is working as far as I can tell . I know its a 2 speed fan , I will have a closer look to see if both speeds are working .

I do have a small leak in my rad plug as mentioned above . I already bought a new plug and just need to install it . Hopefully a new thermostat , fix leak , and burp the system and it will be good to go .

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I burped the system today and drove it around town for about an hour and no issues . Its kind of odd how it just happened all of the sudden . I am still going to replace the tstat and fix my leak and hopefully it wont happen again .

sc4.6

Established Member
Have you done any wot pulls after your last burp to see if it still shoots coolant out of the reservoir?

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
is it coming from the inner cooler res or engine res

220 engine temp is normal considering the factory t-stat doesn't fully open till 220

Last edited:

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I haven't yet. I just babied it around town to test it . I will try a few pulls later on when its cooler out . Don't want to risk overheating again .

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
I have , the cap is vented so It just built up enough pressure to overflow . It's fine now . I did a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls and it hasn't acted up at all . It must have been air locked .

sc4.6

Established Member
I have , the cap is vented so It just built up enough pressure to overflow . It's fine now . I did a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls and it hasn't acted up at all . It must have been air locked .

The cooling system on these cars can be tough to get the air out for some people but it sounds like you have it fixed. If it shoots coolant out again then I would look a possible blown head gasket.

Phil04Cobra

Aluminator Cobra
Established Member
The cooling system on these cars can be tough to get the air out for some people but it sounds like you have it fixed. If it shoots coolant out again then I would look a possible blown head gasket.

If it was a blown head gasket I would be losing coolant and would be steaming out the tailpipes , No? I hear its hard to detect if the gasket is leaking sometimes , but I haven't been having issues with mysterious loss of coolant and the car is not steaming from the exhaust , there also doesn't appear to be coolant in the oil so I can't see it being a gasket or at least I hope not .

hotcobra03

Established Member
is it coming from the inner cooler res or engine res

220 engine temp is normal considering the factory t-stat doesn't fully open till 220

What good is a tstat fully open to cooling it...

many guys on here are below 190 in 100+deg with ac on..

when I do hose on radiator its only a mist of water not flooding it which I see as fan isnt doing its job yet might be working

Users who are viewing this thread