Another Satisfied Magnaflow Customer

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Put a Magnaflow Catback on the '03 today. I was afraid it would be too loud. It isn't. Of course it might get a bit louder when I put the X-pipe in. Still... what a joy. I can't keep my foot out of it. From outside the car.. NICE rumble as it goes away from you.
When the car comes towards you.. you can hear the exhaust, but not as much, but the Supercharger.. you can hear that baby wailing. Awesome.. just awesome.

Quick.. someone pinch me... if this isn't a dream.....

:dw:

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
I just put the Magnaflow catted x-pipe and catback on and love the sound of it,i believe power wise most of the exhaust systems we have to choose from will be very close at the dyno,but as far as sound there is a big difference between them.What i did was listen to sound clips of the different exhaust systems and Magnaflow had the sound i was looking for!

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
What i did was listen to sound clips of the different exhaust systems and Magnaflow had the sound i was looking for!
Hopefully you and I heard the same thing because that's what I'm getting for the same reason.

Dynoing this week!
2.80 & 2.93 Pulley
SFP Air Kit
Waiting to see if you can duplicate Haveights curve with your new pulley setup.

Elliotness

Established Member
Agreed, where do we get them from and what are the part numbers for the magnaflow

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Can't wait for my Magnaflow cat back (P/N 15644) to come in! I ordered mine from Full Line Exhaust (800.264.8035) for $380, shipped.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yup, the CB is sweet - but the combo of catted-x and CB is just to die for. I also bought from Steve at Houston Peformance.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Has anyone noticed a major loss of torque in the lower RPM range when putting on either the catted-x, cat-back or both? I've heard some rumors of this, but I'd like to hear some specific opinions...

Basically, if it's only a slight loss of torque, that's fine, but I really want to avoid major losses down low... having that much power in the lower band is awesome - that's part of the appeal of this car (in my opinion)....

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
My uderstanding if a system is TRUELY designed RIGHT for a car, you should have the least amount of restriction with a scavenging effect.

I have YET to hear ANYONE offer a system that does just that!

what happens if not properly tuned? You loose TQ! you gain noise and perhaps DRONE!

I want to do it, but I can not figure out who makes a good one for the car.

Was quoted $1500 for BASSANI X-pipe and Cat-back system installed... Are these NOT just pipes... GOD! So the thing never rusts, who cares! I want:

1. A Properly tuned system.
2. The most HP & TQ increases.
3. Good fitting system.
4. Sound to be very nice, with no drone at normal driving ranges (1-3K RPMs).
5. Cost to be lower.

Aluminized systems are fine for me...

Does such a thing exist? If so where, I got my card ready!

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I have seen dyno curves for the Magnaflow cat-back system (both before and after install) on the '03. Results showed a good increase in torque and HP across the entire rpm range. (No loss of low end torque.) I would post them, but they aren't mine to do so. anyheading - if you are out there, you might want to post your dyno curves here. Do a search...he gained 25 hp and 14 ft-lbs.

dmreitz

Established Member
Fast03Cobra - I think you hit it on the head... tuning is the key - and I think it's the X/H-pipe and cats area that is the proper area to tune. I'm hesitant on going with any x-pipe at this point because of this... like I said, I don't want a major loss of power down low...

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
I have seen dyno curves for the Magnaflow cat-back system (both before and after install) on the '03. Results showed a good increase in torque and HP across the entire rpm range. (No loss of low end torque.) I would post them, but they aren't mine to do so. anyheading - if you are out there, you might want to post your dyno curves here. Do a search...he gained 25 hp and 14 ft-lbs.

That's cool... and it is consistent with what I've heard... I guess my real concern is the x-pipe power loss potential...

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
dmreitz - yeah, I am not sure about the X-pipe. I did hear from the same guy that dyno'd the CB, that they are working on a new X-pipe for the '03. I think others have used the '01 part, but again, no data.

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by Black2003Cobra
dmreitz - yeah, I am not sure about the X-pipe. I did hear from the same guy that dyno'd the CB, that they are working on a new X-pipe for the '03. I think others have used the '01 part, but again, no data.

Yeah, I e-mailed Magnaflow and got the response that the 2003 Cobra part numbers are the same as the 2001.

I may just get the cat-back now, and simply wait on the x-pipe. I really want to see some #'s (from stuff on the market, or custom shops) before I chance the loss of power down low...

I wonder if the Bassani guys have noticed power loss down-low...

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I can't speak to the 2003 Cobra and a Bassani X-pipe.
I have a 2001 X-pipe and I had it on my 2001. I had an 18 hp increase and a 18 or 19 TQ increase over the stock. However I do not know if it was bottom end effected only the total numbers. Only changes made to the car were a K&N and the X-pipe.

One of the magazines.. 5.0 or MM&FF put an X-pipe on and claimed only 7 or 8 hp increase.

Yes the Magnaflow has a drone at 2k... not significant. It certainly doesn't bother me around town. I have not had the car out on the highway at 70 MPH to see what effect it would have for long term cruising.

dmreitz

Established Member
Originally posted by ArizonaSnake
I can't speak to the 2003 Cobra and a Bassani X-pipe.
I have a 2001 X-pipe and I had it on my 2001. I had an 18 hp increase and a 18 or 19 TQ increase over the stock. However I do not know if it was bottom end effected only the total numbers. Only changes made to the car were a K&N and the X-pipe.

One of the magazines.. 5.0 or MM&FF put an X-pipe on and claimed only 7 or 8 hp increase.

Yes the Magnaflow has a drone at 2k... not significant. It certainly doesn't bother me around town. I have not had the car out on the highway at 70 MPH to see what effect it would have for long term cruising.

Interesting... was there any SOTP difference down low? Good or bad? I guess the numbers won't really matter as long as it doesn't feel more sluggish in the lower RPM's.

Thanks for the info by the way... just trying to gather some info before taking the plunge...

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
:p

I've not noticed any bottom end lack of grunt (SOTP) but I haven't had that long with the car. (4 days 1800 miles)

I sure do like the sound. <G>

Users who are viewing this thread