Another summer... time for radiator fans to die off in mass

haskett

Established Member
A quick search online found that these things were reportedly blowing constantly last summer. Now that a new summer is here, I guess it's time for the next mass die-off!

I rarely drive my car and most of its miles are around race events now. For a couple of months now, I've occasionally had a very mild electrical smell come from under the hood. Despite trying to chase it down several times, I could never pinpoint it. For the last 4-6 weeks, I was also getting a rattling sound under the hood. Again, no amount of investigation could figure anything out. Finally, last night, the car started making a very loud sound from the front, loud enough to be heard inside the car at highway speed and cause immediate alarm. When pulling into the parking garage, the car immediately overheated (245, ouch) and burped coolant. Fans weren't on. This morning, I found the #1 fuse (50A) blown and the fan shorted (0 ohms). When I pulled the fan assembly, the motor would barely turn.

Rather than buying the $80 Dorman 620-139 replacement, I'm going to step up to the $200+ OEM unit. I've used Dorman on my other cars, including a fan assembly on my wife's vehicle last summer, and the quality was fine for a high-mileage family car but no way was it good enough for a track car that sees lots of abuse. The plastic was not as sturdy and it was missing one attachment location, which tells me if they cut corners there, then they also cut corners in the motor.

I'm a bit disappointed that this went out with less than 28k miles. It has had a hard life, but not THAT hard.

The good news is that it died less than 100 miles after completing the BBORR. If it had died during the race rather than after, that would have been disastrous.

racebronco2

Established Member
The fans do nothing when you are above 40mph anyways. I know a guy whom races and his electric fan is only on when he is in the pits, he removes the fan when he races. Car doesn't get over 200* on track. I have a switch that i can turn the fans on at anytime. I found out it doesn't make any difference with the fan on or off.

haskett

Established Member
I don't know about the fans not doing anything above 40. My coolant temps were definitely going up if I slowed below 55. Also, my coolant temps are normally around 190 but were bouncing around 210-230 while on the highway with no fan. Of course, we could be scientific about it an do a run with fan fuse in, then repeat the same run with the fuse out, but I'll let someone else experiment. :) :) :)

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I don't know about the fans not doing anything above 40. My coolant temps were definitely going up if I slowed below 55. Also, my coolant temps are normally around 190 but were bouncing around 210-230 while on the highway with no fan. Of course, we could be scientific about it an do a run with fan fuse in, then repeat the same run with the fuse out, but I'll let someone else experiment. :) :) :)

I'm sure the racer he is talking about has a boxed in radiator. That's why he doesn't need fans above 40 mph. Completely different situation.

haskett

Established Member
I'm sure the racer he is talking about has a boxed in radiator. That's why he doesn't need fans above 40 mph. Completely different situation.

racebronco2 knows his stuff and has been helpful to me on many occasions. I value his opinions and always consider his posts carefully. :bowdown:

On this single specific point (fans doing nothing above 40 mph), my experience differs from the case referenced, so I want to apply caution about applying one racer's situation as a blanket across everyone else.

FWIW, I have a boxed radiator and a massive oil cooler. My hood is stock with the vents removed.

:thumbsup:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Who still sells the OEM fans?

I think my lows peed is dead. Definitely won't kick on without A/C or high speed kick on.

haskett

Established Member
Who still sells the OEM fans?

I think my lows peed is dead. Definitely won't kick on without A/C or high speed kick on.

Tousley Ford can take care of any Ford parts you need.

Are you sure you have a fan problem? If it's running fine with ac on, I doubt the fan itself is bad.

keith89

Established Member

After reading about all the burnt out/cracked radiator fans, it finally happened to me.

My car was overheating at 60mph. The shroud must have been cracked for some time and eventually burned out the motor. I believe the car was overheating at highway speed because the fan motor was locked up and the blades were not allowed to freewheel. air was not flowing through the radiator as freely. Just a thought.

racebronco2

Established Member

The racer does not have a boxed in radiator. I have tried running with the fans on and off and the temps don't change. I have the Mark Viii fans which flows about 40% more air than the stock fan so if it was to make a difference i would have seen it.

ITS STOCK

Established Member
sry to hijack

is there a way to test the stock high speed fan?

I cant change the setting with my tuner, and the fan comes on when the car gets above 160*f with my tune. I dont think the high speed fan is coming on. In the heat with temps at 90-110*f, at idle with the a/c on it it runs at 215-225, but when i turn th a/c off it comes back down to 200-210 or so.

There a way to test if the high speed fan is working, or kick on or off?

Thanks

Tractionless1

Established Member
The racer does not have a boxed in radiator. I have tried running with the fans on and off and the temps don't change. I have the Mark Viii fans which flows about 40% more air than the stock fan so if it was to make a difference i would have seen it.

I'm with ya and have seen it first hand on roadracing motorcycles. Most racers remove their fans all together. I have mine switched to turn on only when leaving the pits hot or pulling off the track into the paddock. In South Florida I've seen a max of 205* on the track pounding on the bike. I run Motul Mocool/water mix per the dilution instuctions on the bottle.

Users who are viewing this thread