Another tire choice

Angry50

Established Member
I am going to be running 19x9 and 19x11 wheels. looking for the typical best mileage vs grip. been looking at the continental extreme contact dw and the MPSS. the DW seems about 100 less per tire. also had a thought of running like a DWS in the front for more tread life to counter act the cost of buying more rears. i am not a corner carver, but i may take a turn faster than your average person. im coming from 295/45r18 nt555, so my goal was to get something with a little more grip but still 20+k or more miles. i have also debated an invo but reviews for DW seem better. i tried searching through about 10 pages but found nothing that helped me decide.

101blur

Established Member
I have used both tires I like them both about the same the MPSS will bring you a little more life. I run the DW on my 350z with a ton of chamber and they have lasted a long time cant go wrong with either tires but I don't suggest miss matching tires at all unless you plan to run DR in the back. Personally I dont think the NT555 cant hold a candle to the DW or the MPSS nitto's best choice in comparison would be the Invo's
hopefully this helps you.

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I love the DW, and 20K might be a tall order on your rears but with ginger throttle application its possible. It is one of my favorite wet tires, on par with the MI PSS in the wet (I actually liked it a bit more)and only a tic behind in dry cornering and traction. For the price difference, I thought it was well worth the slight drop.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=190
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=174

I had a chance to run the PSS and DW against each other, but that was not one of the published tests. Here are the most recent tests for both.

As part of your initial question you mentioned the DWS on the front.... which is a logical thought process to stretch miles but doesn't work with the way tires are engineered. When you mix all season and summer (DWS is all season and DW is summer) bad things happen handling wise. Tires have temperature ranges... so when you are in both tires acceptable range where they intercept (70-80 +/-) it would handle ok.. but if you are at any temp outside that.... you will have MASSIVE underseer in the warm (+80... most of your driving) and massive oversteer below 60 deg. Plus, the car will feel really unresponsive to steering input (mushy.... pushy... whatever you want to call it). We have done quite a few tests like this at work and not a good way to go. I just helped a fellow mustang guy that had an all season tire on the front (GY) and Summer on the rear (also GY). he was complaining that the car was all over the road, felt scary under hard throttle. I told him to get a summer for the front and he was hesitant. Tried alignment, camber bolts to set the camber more in... nothing worked. Changed to the supercars to match his rears and the problem was completely solved! He was in Louisiana, so hot weather which really exacerbates the issue. Hope that helps!!

Angry50

Established Member
thats good info. ya i wasnt sure how many more miles the MPSS would get over the DW and if it was worth the extra 100 a tire. as i was looking at the 325/30zr19 for rear since they are closest to stock tire diameter in the DW im not sure about the measurements on the MPSS as i have heard they run larger than some.

Angry50

Established Member
Sounds like S-04 Pole Positions may be worth looking at if a 305 rear is acceptable

those dont seem to have as good of a review and i wasnt sure about the 26.3 size. i think the factory is 27 not sure how much a of a difference it is i just dont want the wheels to looks small and leave wheel gap.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
those dont seem to have as good of a review and i wasnt sure about the 26.3 size. i think the factory is 27 not sure how much a of a difference it is i just dont want the wheels to looks small and leave wheel gap.

The S-04 is closer to the MPSS than anything else, more-so than the DW which is still a great tire and more comfortable, but lacks in sidewall stiffness. But I can understand your tire height preferences since it's a 30 profile.

Last edited:

Angry50

Established Member
The S-04 is closer to the MPSS than anything else, more-so than the DW which is still a great tire and more comfortable, but lacks in sidewall stiffness. But I can understand you're tire height preferences since it's a 30 profile.

ya im not sure how noticeable it is ill have to look up some pictures i have heard 26inch tire performs better with the stock A6 gearing. and the 305/30zr19 seems to be cheaper.

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
ya im not sure how noticeable it is ill have to look up some pictures i have heard 26inch tire performs better with the stock A6 gearing. and the 305/30zr19 seems to be cheaper.

In terms of added wheel gap you're adding .3-.35". But if you're running a 27" tire up front I would just say stick with 27" tires out back. Also, you're going to get a few more miles out of the DW over the Pole Positions.

What do you mean when you mentioned more grip? Like launching grip? Lateral G's? Turn in response?

Angry50

Established Member
In terms of added wheel gap you're adding .3-.35". But if you're running a 27" tire up front I would just say stick with 27" tires out back. Also, you're going to get a few more miles out of the DW over the Pole Positions.

What do you mean when you mentioned more grip? Like launching grip? Lateral G's? Turn in response?

straight line grip more so. im might come down an exit ramp quicker than and average person but not a big handling guy. the nt555 handle fine for me. ya from what i ve seen the DW seem to be a good overall compare to MPSS just unsure if the MPSS were worth the extra money or if i was missing any other tire options. the 305/30zr19 do seem to be cheaper and from photos ive seen look fine when lowered

Angry50

Established Member

Jabooh1

Established Member
I have 305/30r19 s-04 and am not a fan. Wear isn't great. Traction is ok. They look funny as they are too short.

I wish I went with 20's.

Angry50

Established Member
I have 305/30r19 s-04 and am not a fan. Wear isn't great. Traction is ok. They look funny as they are too short.

I wish I went with 20's.

have you thought about trying a 325/30r19? i think these will provide adequate sidewall and depending on tire option should be good grip as well

cjd223

Established Member
You have to ask yourself which do you want - tire life or traction. I researched the heck out of tires before I decided to add a blower. I narrowed it down to these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=44WR9RE11V2&tab=Specs http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=44WR8Z2SS&tab=Specs http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=54WR8AD08R&tab=Specs The Yoko and Dunlop were my top two due to their thread pattern - more rubber less grooves. These tires were for my crappy 8.5" OEM wheels. 11" wide changes a lot. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wall=Blackwall&partnum=03WR9AD08RXL&tab=Specs

Angry50

Established Member

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
yeah.. we (tire rack) brake everything down to category.

RACE RUBBER: Hooser R7, Hankook z214, Toyo R888, R1R, BFG R1, Sport Cup.....all iterations....
DRAG RADIAL: You knows these... LOL
EXTREME performace summer: Hankook RS-2, Bridgestone RE-11, RE-71R, Yoko AD08... Dunlop Direzza DZII Starspec.. etc
MAX performance summer: PSS, S04 (which earlier was talked about, closest dry traction to the PSS for sure... a good tire) DW, Pzero, V12... etc.
ULTRA high performance Summer: Bri re760... Yoko S drive... BFG Comp 2... etc
ULTRA high performance All Season: DWS, MI AS3, Pzero Nero AS, RE970.. etc

As you go up the list you get more dry traction. The peak of DRY and WET is Max performance. You go above that, you get less wet traction, less miles, less of everything except DRY. So, once you know the right category you should be looking at per your requirements it makes it quite a bit easier. There is no reason to compare a RS-3 to a MI PSS to a DWS... etc. They all are for different customers. The challenge is finding your right category, the rest is pretty easy after that!

cjd223

Established Member
Well said. We don't buy these cars for gas mileage or tire life. If one wants that buy a Prius. I would think any of the above mentioned tires with a 180-300 UTQG will last 25,000 to 50,000 miles. Rubber compound is important as is the actual contact to the road. Grooves aren't contact. The more grooves the better the wet performance. Less grooves, more rubber contact on the road = better dry traction, but less wet traction. Same reason a drag slick has no grooves. As always there are compromises to be made.

Users who are viewing this thread