Another tire thread....

badblackhemi

Established Member
Sorry for another one of these. I'm about to leave to go get new rear tires on my 2011 gt/cs. What tires would y'all recommend? I'd like to throw on the widest set i can fit on my stock 19" CS wheels. What do y'all think brand and size wise for the best all around performance and grip?
Thanks

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
255's are about as much as you should be mounting unless it's just for looks. But FYI the typical size 255/40/19's are about 1/2" shorter than stock. a 275/40/19 matches the stock height but is outside of recommended rim size and may require a wheel spacer to avoid rubbing. But here's a thread where someone mounted 275 Nero's on the stock CS rims:

Do 2011-2012 C/S wheels fit over Brembo brakes? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Are you looking for all-season or summer-only tires?

badblackhemi

Established Member
I'm looking for an all season as it's my DD but I live in Texas so weather isn't a huge problem. I'm omw back to the house so hopefully I can do some more searching. Been looking at the Invo's. I will upgrade to a wider wheel eventually and would like to reuse the tires I buy today with them in the future. I wish a 285 would work for now.

badblackhemi

Established Member
Checking out Nitto's site I think I'm going with the 275/35/19's. Any thoughts?
*Edit, I didn't realize how short those were in relation to the stock size

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
You're looking at a tire that's over 1" shorter than stock. Will look pretty funny IMO unless you replace all four.

SirJAG

Established Member
sub'n. i too have the CS and want wider tires... if anyone has some info please share it here.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Read the Corral thread I linked. It has a good info/pics on various tires mounted on CS rims. Keep in mind every manufacture has variations in specs so one brand may fit better than another.

If it were my money and was doing it for looks I'd get the 275/40/19 PZero Nero ZR's for the rear to match the front along with some spacers to bring the wheels out a little further. Again, it's wider than recommended but for the street it probably won't matter much.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
If the suspension is setup right I think the tires are underrated. Most people lower the car (without relocation brakets) which kills traction and blame the tires and LCA's.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
This is more of a reference for anyone who wants to know how to figure out the overall rolling diameter of a tire (Height from top to bottom):

Example Size: 275-40-19

275 (Tire Width) X 40% (Aspect Ratio) X 2 = 220

220 / 25.4 = 8.661 + 19.0 (Rim Diameter) = 27.6" -Overall Rolling Diameter

NOTE: Nubers/symbols in BLUE are constant and stay the same nomatter what size you are trying to figure out.

Using that simple formula will allow you see where you will be height wise with any tire you are looking to go with and see how it compares to your stock height.

...Sorry, I sold tires for 5 years a while back and couldn't resist :fart:

Last edited:

badblackhemi

Established Member
Thanks for all the imput guys. I think I'm gonna go with the michelin pilot super sports in 275/40. Local they're $307 each. A little expensive but from what I've read, a really good tire. Plus i only need the rears.

Roadhouse

Established Member
Thanks for all the imput guys. I think I'm gonna go with the michelin pilot super sports in 275/40. Local they're $307 each. A little expensive but from what I've read, a really good tire. Plus i only need the rears.

Everything I've heard about those tires are great. Good choice, I will be looking into those when I need replacements.

badblackhemi

Established Member
Just got the Michelin tires mounted yesterday. The weather is finally clearing up so I'll be able to test them out when i get off work. Any kind of traction in second will be welcomed. 3.73s and stock tires made first and most of second gear useless. I'll have results and opinions later tonight for those who are interested.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Just got the Michelin tires mounted yesterday. The weather is finally clearing up so I'll be able to test them out when i get off work. Any kind of traction in second will be welcomed. 3.73s and stock tires made first and most of second gear useless. I'll have results and opinions later tonight for those who are interested.
Let me know how they work for you, OP. I will most likely upgrade to Pilot SSs when I'm due for tires, and since we see pretty much the same driving conditions (I'm in DFW but travel to Houston/Freeport area too) what you will think should be good for me. Haha

badblackhemi

Established Member
Finally had a chance to test out the tires a little...It's 34 degrees out, so not the greatest conditions, but it's finally not raining so it's the best chance I've had since I got the tires. From a dig, in this cold, 1st gear still spins as expected. But here's the great thing, I could actually hook most of second gear! There was a little tire slip but it was still pulling hard. Before, with the stock tires, 2nd gear sucked! First, brief impression of the tires in not so optimal conditions...I am 100% happy with the choice I made given my stock wheel size!

badblackhemi

Established Member
Just an update, I finally was able to test these tires out on a warmer sunny day. Thank you Texas for being able to go from rainy and 34 degrees to sunny and 70 in just a few days! Leaving easy and then mashing it about halfway through 1st and can actually hook quite well. (it's on the edge of losing traction at the top of first though) as soon as I install my O/R X and AED tune I'm sure 1st will be useless again. I get a hard scratch going to second and traction is 100% from then on!! My car is a roush AB only. M6 and 3.73's so those with 3.31's and 3.55's should get even better traction

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread