Another Track Pad question

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I've been using Hawk Blues up front and HP+ in the rear. As I've stated in other posts, I seem to be really front biased as I've done probably 8 track weekends on the rears while the fronts only last 2-3 based on which tracks I run.

First off, is this normal?

Second, I'm now about due for the rears to be replaced. I just swapped out the fronts to Raybestos ST43s. I have yet to use them on-track. What should I replace the rears with? I couldn't tell if Raybestos makes a matching rear pad or one step down, which seems to be what ppl run.

What do you track guys recommend to match well with the ST43 fronts?

I'm at 3421lbs @ 1/2 tank

Sirl

Established Member
Your wear sounds about right not me.
I get a few more events out of my Hawk DTC 70's up front,
I probably have 10 events on my rears, DTC 60's, and I'm about due for new pads on the rear.

That being said, most all the guys that I run with, with Mustangs, use Hawk DTC 60's on the rear.

Just my opinion. I'm sure you will get others.

ba#97

Established Member
I have this same thing with my car. and everyone else I have talked to with our style car says the same. don't worry...my last set of fronts lasted 2 events (given they were hawk hps' and now I am running hawk blacks) and the rears after those same two events weren't touched. it seems to just be the normal bias for our cars.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
So is everyone running a staggered pad setup? Has anyone had any luck with the same aggressive compound all around?

If the staggered setup is what these cars need, are the ST41s a good rear pad?

Last edited:

Greensix

Established Member
I run DTC70s front and rear but also have an IRS from a 99 Cobra. The car doesn't brake dive nearly as bad as the car did when I had the stock solid axle/4link. I think the IRS and 3 link guys can run a more aggressive rear pad due to how the suspension resists the "lift" of the back end under braking.

On a side note the Blacks and Blues are old news from Hawk. Move to the DTC pads and you will be much much happier.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I run DTC 60s on the front and was running EBC blues on the rear, cause I had them. After several front brake lock up sessions and some shaky moments I installed some Performance Friction pads on the rear that were more aggressive. My car had much more controlled braking and eliminated my front lock up. Basically the rears finally started doing something and took some pressure off the front. My next move is to run DTC 60s all around and use the bias adjuster to get it set perfect.

ba#97

Established Member
I mean I am running the same compound all around and don't have any issues but I think I might try out what wheelhopper said and try a more aggressive rear pad to see if the rears will work more.

wheelhopper...do you have any other recommendations to get the rears to put more work in pad wise before going all out to get a bias adjuster?

darreng505

Established Member
I run DTC70s front and rear but also have an IRS from a 99 Cobra. The car doesn't brake dive nearly as bad as the car did when I had the stock solid axle/4link. I think the IRS and 3 link guys can run a more aggressive rear pad due to how the suspension resists the "lift" of the back end under braking.

On a side note the Blacks and Blues are old news from Hawk. Move to the DTC pads and you will be much much happier.

I don't think they make DTC70 for rear. Only front.

Greensix

Established Member

wheelhopper

Established Member
I mean I am running the same compound all around and don't have any issues but I think I might try out what wheelhopper said and try a more aggressive rear pad to see if the rears will work more.

wheelhopper...do you have any other recommendations to get the rears to put more work in pad wise before going all out to get a bias adjuster?

I have been doing OT now for about 6 years, and I have been pretty active in it. I have learned a lot through trial and error as well as listening to others. From my take, I learned that the reason that people use different rear pads is to use the pads to adjust the bias vs simply using a bias adjuster. IMO it makes more sense to use the same pads all around and then dial the pressure to where you need it. Using different pads in the rear has less of a chance of being as accurate. It is not that hard to install a bias adjuster, at least under the hood. Just do it.

As far as "everyone using Hawks", that is not true. I have used a few different brands but for the money Hawk works great for me and I will keep using them for now.

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I've been using Hawk Blues up front and HP+ in the rear. As I've stated in other posts, I seem to be really front biased as I've done probably 8 track weekends on the rears while the fronts only last 2-3 based on which tracks I run.

First off, is this normal?

Second, I'm now about due for the rears to be replaced. I just swapped out the fronts to Raybestos ST43s. I have yet to use them on-track. What should I replace the rears with? I couldn't tell if Raybestos makes a matching rear pad or one step down, which seems to be what ppl run.

What do you track guys recommend to match well with the ST43 fronts?

I'm at 3421lbs @ 1/2 tank

James:

Your Hawk Blues up front are a very aggressive pad. I used to love Hawk Blues but the acidic dust got really old after a while. Because of the aggressiveness of the Blues in front, the rears with an HP+ don't really seem like they are pulling their fair share of the braking load.

If you've switched to a ST43 up front, I'd go with a Raybesto ST42 in the rear for starters. You can always step up to a ST41 if you feel the need in the future.

I'd love to quote you on any of your brake pads needs. Just shoot me a PM for a no obligation quote.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread