Another TVS Install, with some results.

APMECH

Established Member
I received my VMP TVS (with 2.5 pulley) last week, but none of my other parts showed up, including the high flow port matched elbow (on backorder). I couldn't just let it sit in the box until the other stuff showed up, so I installed the tvs with my stock elbow, stock throttle body, stock intake (res delete and Airaid filter). Threw it on the dyno and found my maf pegged out at around 6k causing my throttle to start closing shortly after. This was done quickly and we weren't going to mess with it since I was going to be installing more "stuff" soon. The dyno sheet below also shows my old numbers with just a vmp 2.59 pulley, dyno tune and stock tires. Since then I've added 20" M/T drag radials.
20120914_085543_zpse87b25d6.jpg

My CJ 65mm throttle body and JLT 123mm intake showed up, but still no word on my elbow (must be made out of unobtanium). I decided to throw them on and see what kind of gains we get out of it. The results are below, and more than I thought they would be. Once I receive the elbow, I'll throw it back on the dyno and show the gains on that too. It's nice to have a brother with a dyno shop!!!

Cal_TVS_623_zps601faa85.jpg

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Hmm interesting. I have the TVS and I used my stock elbow...I have not dyno'ed yet, but I do have a full exhaust. Think I to may need to get a TB and a bigger CAI.

APMECH

Established Member
Fuel looks great ....how many psi did you see? My 08 with stock TB and FRPP intake on 91oct put down simalar numbers.

My brother tuned it, that's why my afr's are good. Funny you should ask about my boost.... I checked back when I had just the TVS installed and nothing else, and boost was 16 psi, then settled at about 15.5 psi from about 4-6k rpms using a real boost gauge. This time, I was too busy loading his tunes with the iTSX (brutally slow load times) to remember to check boost.

APMECH

Established Member
Hmm interesting. I have the TVS and I used my stock elbow...I have not dyno'ed yet, but I do have a full exhaust. Think I to may need to get a TB and a bigger CAI.

I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for a cai, but my maf pegged. I'd rather get the extra maf range with a bigger intake, than electronically extending it. I figured a good side affect of a bigger cai would be more hp.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I didn't want to spend the extra $$ for a cai, but my maf pegged. I'd rather get the extra maf range with a bigger intake, than electronically extending it. I figured a good side affect of a bigger cai would be more hp.

Same here. I pegged my JLT carbon fiber 110mm so I switched to the JLT 127mm carbon fiber and all was well in tune land again.

Ninjak

Established Member
I see. I guess I may need to look into this. Who did you guys tunes BTW ?

Last edited:

APMECH

Established Member
I see. I guess I may need to look into this. Who did you guys tunes BTW ?

Mine was done local, by my brother Pete at Performance-Dyno. Remote tuning is tough to do. I would recommend you get a custom dyno tune with someone local to you that has a good reputation.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Dyno tune at Power By The Hour in Boynton Beach FL by Jon Lund and Ken Bjonnes. Highly recommend them. Very professional and dern good at what they do there build-wise. I'd say the best place I've been to in 20 years.

I have a few more mods so my numbers are a little higher even on a conservative tune.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
They only had the Carbon Fiber in stock :)

Ninjak

Established Member
Justin did my tune, car seems to be running strong....real strong. I will get to the Dyno soon though.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Once I receive the elbow, I'll throw it back on the dyno and show the gains on that too. It's nice to have a brother with a dyno shop!!!
That would be excellent. There are claims that the VMP elbow is worth 20 RWHP and this would be a good test. Even better if you could get a pull on the dyno with the stocker and then switch them out real quick for the second pull. :beer:

APMECH

Established Member
That would be excellent. There are claims that the VMP elbow is worth 20 RWHP and this would be a good test. Even better if you could get a pull on the dyno with the stocker and then switch them out real quick for the second pull. :beer:
I might be able to pull that off. I would at least expect another 10 hp minimum... I reached in and could feel a big difference between the elbow and tvs inlet. The only thing that could keep me from doing that is if the elbow doesn't show up soon. I have to go back to work soon and wont be back home until January. I won't be able to drive my car again until March/April due to the weather up here.

VNMOUS1

Established Member

"quick second pull"......

If you want a real A/B, document all the temps and environmentals, wait for them to be equal to the first pull, then go for it.

You've followed this stuff a long time. You know what needs to be done for the closest you can get to comparables.

I just posted a link to your question about the elbow on the other thread. Including heat info, dyno data, magazine article.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3, not an "i" anything.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I might be able to pull that off. I would at least expect another 10 hp minimum... I reached in and could feel a big difference between the elbow and tvs inlet. The only thing that could keep me from doing that is if the elbow doesn't show up soon. I have to go back to work soon and wont be back home until January. I won't be able to drive my car again until March/April due to the weather up here.

I'm waiting on one too. Some came in and are at the powder coating guys. Sorry for the delay.

Ford had the same problem even for assembly cars. Go figure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S3, not an "i" anything.

Users who are viewing this thread