Anti Sway Bar, or Anti Rollbar?

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
Which one is better for mostly qtr mile duty? I have an auto built rear with upper and lower control arms, strange adujustable shocks, eibach drag springs and air bag, and 28x13.5x15 QTP's

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
anti roll...

sway keeps the suspension in check...anti roll keep the body straight when you launch.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Sorry. Next contestant.

Those are different terms for the SAME thing ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-roll_bar

umm..your link...says they ARE the same thing..which essentially they are..but not..sway bar (also known as anti roll bar) wikipedia is garbage. they connect at different points which make the car react differently. you will have MUCH more body roll with a sway bar that usually attaches to the control arms and lets the body ride on the suspension and THEN use the sway bar. you will have less with the anti roll bar (wonder why its called that?) as its connected to the body and prevents any type of roll and uses minimal suspension travel.

Taz

Established Member
umm..your link...says they ARE the same thing..which essentially they are..but not..sway bar (also known as anti roll bar) wikipedia is garbage. they connect at different points which make the car react differently. you will have MUCH more body roll with a sway bar that usually attaches to the control arms and lets the body ride on the suspension and THEN use the sway bar. you will have less with the anti roll bar (wonder why its called that?) as its connected to the body and prevents any type of roll and uses minimal suspension travel.

Nice try. Next contestant.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa4078/is_200402/ai_n9383456

:loser:

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member

congrats..you know how to use google. I dont care what bnet says...have you tried a "sway bar" and then an "anti-roll bar" at the track? Im guessing not since your a google fanatic. I have...they are WORLDS different. but hey..I have no clue...I just drive a mid 10 sec eaton car.

sway bar = auto-x or street

anti-roll bar = drag racing

period.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Steeda rear swaybar

swaybar_175.jpg

Steeda Anti-Roll bar

555_8102175.jpg

now WHY IN THE WORLD would someone sell the SAME THING but make them differently and call them different names if its actually the same name/same thing? hmmm

stop googling and looking foolish

Taz

Established Member
congrats..you know how to use google. I dont care what bnet says...have you tried a "sway bar" and then an "anti-roll bar" at the track? Im guessing not since your a google fanatic. I have...they are WORLDS different. but hey..I have no clue...I just drive a mid 10 sec eaton car.

sway bar = auto-x or street

anti-roll bar = drag racing

period.

You are apparently the only individual in the entire known universe who makes any distinction between anti-roll and anti-sway bars. I subscribe to shared reality. Apparently, you do not.

Pick up your parting gifts on the way out. Next contestant.

Taz

Established Member
BTW driving a 10-sec car does NOT qualify you as any kind of technical expert. It only makes you a strong contender for next year's Darwin Awards.

Here are a few relevent tech sections from the NHRA, NASA, and NMRA. None of them makes any distinction between anti-sway bars and anti-roll bars. Hey, but what do THEY know? After all, you drive a 10-sec car ...

From NASA Camaro-Mustang Challenge Official Rules …

8.36.13. The sway bar(s) may be removed or any OEM factory sway bar(s) may be updated/backdated within the years, make and model groups as follows:

1. 1982-92 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels eq – RS, Z28, IROC, including 1LE)

2. 1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels eq – RS, Z28, SS etc)

3. 1979-2003 Ford Mustang (including Cobra and Saleen models

There is no mention of “anti-roll” bars, because NASA makes no distinction between “anti-sway” and “anti-roll” bars.

From NHRA Sport Compact Class Regulations …

SUSPENSION, REAR:
Strut tower braces, lower tie bars, sway bars, and limit straps are
permitted. Complete, operative OEM suspension mandatory. Bolton
traction devices permitted. Control arms, strut mounting points,
etc., must be OEM, front and rear. Aftermarket springs and struts,
including coil-overs, permitted, but must utilize original OEM
mounting points. Final decision rests with NHRA Technical
Services. Spindle mounts prohibited.

SUSPENSION, FRONT:
Upper mounting point for strut assemblies must be in the factory
location. Adjustable caster/camber pillowball mounts are permitted.
Lower control arm may be strengthened provided factory mounting
points to chassis are maintained. Lower mounting point for strut
assembly may be modified for improved caster or camber. Strut
tower braces, lower tie bars, sway bars, and limit straps are
permitted. Traction bars/devices permitted; must be bolt on ONLY.
Final decision rests with NHRA Technical Services.

There is no mention of “anti-roll” bars, because NHRA makes no distinction between “anti-sway” and “anti-roll” bars.

From NMRA General Rules and Procedures …

13-10.4 Sway bars to be mounted in stock location with all thread or stock mounts.

There is no mention of “anti-roll” bars, because NMRA makes no distinction between “anti-sway” and “anti-roll” bars.

The only places where the term “roll bar” can be found in any of the above documents is in reference to the tube structure that extends above the driver’s head as protection in the event of a rollover.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
I posted in this same thread in the MACA section that both referred to the same part.

Sway, Roll, Anti-Sway and Anti-roll are all interchangeable terms.

However, Anti-roll bars are commonly shown as the one above. Regardless many companies still market them as a sway bar or Anti-sway bar. MM in particular does this and does not refer to them as anti-roll bars.

Just as I suggested in the other thread, let us know what you're looking at and I'd be glad to give my opinion. If you want to go straight, the most rigid mount and the most rigid material will give you the best connection and a better chance at hooking.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
BTW driving a 10-sec car does NOT qualify you as any kind of technical expert. It only makes you a strong contender for next year's Darwin Awards.

Here are a few relevent tech sections from the NHRA, NASA, and NMRA. None of them makes any distinction between anti-sway bars and anti-roll bars. Hey, but what do THEY know? After all, you drive a 10-sec car ...

From NASA Camaro-Mustang Challenge Official Rules …

8.36.13. The sway bar(s) may be removed or any OEM factory sway bar(s) may be updated/backdated within the years, make and model groups as follows:

1. 1982-92 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels eq – RS, Z28, IROC, including 1LE)

2. 1993-2002 Chevrolet Camaro (all submodels eq – RS, Z28, SS etc)

3. 1979-2003 Ford Mustang (including Cobra and Saleen models

There is no mention of “anti-roll” bars, because NASA makes no distinction between “anti-sway” and “anti-roll” bars.

From NHRA Sport Compact Class Regulations …

SUSPENSION, REAR:
Strut tower braces, lower tie bars, sway bars, and limit straps are
permitted. Complete, operative OEM suspension mandatory. Bolton
traction devices permitted. Control arms, strut mounting points,
etc., must be OEM, front and rear. Aftermarket springs and struts,
including coil-overs, permitted, but must utilize original OEM
mounting points. Final decision rests with NHRA Technical
Services. Spindle mounts prohibited.

SUSPENSION, FRONT:
Upper mounting point for strut assemblies must be in the factory
location. Adjustable caster/camber pillowball mounts are permitted.
Lower control arm may be strengthened provided factory mounting
points to chassis are maintained. Lower mounting point for strut
assembly may be modified for improved caster or camber. Strut
tower braces, lower tie bars, sway bars, and limit straps are
permitted. Traction bars/devices permitted; must be bolt on ONLY.
Final decision rests with NHRA Technical Services.

There is no mention of “anti-roll” bars, because NHRA makes no distinction between “anti-sway” and “anti-roll” bars.

From NMRA General Rules and Procedures …

13-10.4 Sway bars to be mounted in stock location with all thread or stock mounts.

There is no mention of “anti-roll” bars, because NMRA makes no distinction between “anti-sway” and “anti-roll” bars.

The only places where the term “roll bar” can be found in any of the above documents is in reference to the tube structure that extends above the driver’s head as protection in the event of a rollover.

where did I say I was a tech expert? I said I have used both of them extensively and they are worlds different. one is used to keep the car from swaying left to right by being connected to the lower control arms. and the other keeps the car level being attached to the body. they serve different purposes. I guess me and Steeda and all of the other companies that manufacture anti-roll bars and sway bars are wrong. here look..I can google too

Anti-Roll bar
Definition: A suspension element (used at the front, the rear, or both ends of a car) that reduces body roll by resisting any unequal vertical motion between the pair of wheels to which it is connected. An anti-roll bar does not affect suspension stiffness when both wheels are deflected equally in the same direction. Often incorrectly called a sway bar.

SWAY BAR
Definition: A component that's often used in a suspension system to control body roll. A sway bar may be used on the front and/or rear suspension to help keep the body flat as the vehicle rounds a corner. This greatly improves a vehicle's cornering agility. Replacing the sway bar with one of a larger diameter can increase it even more.

they are made different, they are for different purposes, they work different....period.

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
bottom line...to the OP...

go ahead and use a "sway bar" and see how straight the car launches. be quick to steer though when you see the wall.

use an "anti-roll bar" to launch straight.

one is mounted to the suspension...the other is mounted to the body and axle..they are different

Taz

Established Member
where did I say I was a tech expert? I said I have used both of them extensively and they are worlds different. one is used to keep the car from swaying left to right by being connected to the lower control arms. and the other keeps the car level being attached to the body. they serve different purposes. I guess me and Steeda and all of the other companies that manufacture anti-roll bars and sway bars are wrong. here look..I can google too

Anti-Roll bar
Definition: A suspension element (used at the front, the rear, or both ends of a car) that reduces body roll by resisting any unequal vertical motion between the pair of wheels to which it is connected. An anti-roll bar does not affect suspension stiffness when both wheels are deflected equally in the same direction. Often incorrectly called a sway bar.

SWAY BAR
Definition: A component that's often used in a suspension system to control body roll. A sway bar may be used on the front and/or rear suspension to help keep the body flat as the vehicle rounds a corner. This greatly improves a vehicle's cornering agility. Replacing the sway bar with one of a larger diameter can increase it even more.

they are made different, they are for different purposes, they work different....period.

First, those of us who actually made it through secondary school refer to the process of locating supporting documentation as "research," not "googling."

Second, I noticed that you didn't care to share any links to your "expert" references, which leaves both their integrity and their authority somewhat in question.

Third, your second "reference" seems to support MY position, rather than yours. Perhaps you should polish up your reading skills.

Fourth, why don't you go peddle your nonsense to all of the sanctioning bodies on this planet, since they don't share your opinion, either.

You're trying unsuccessfully to make a case for something that just aint so. Let it go.

Next contestant.

:kaboom:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
First, those of us who actually made it through secondary school refer to the process of locating supporting documentation as "research," not "googling."

Second, I noticed that you didn't care to share any links to your "expert" references, which leaves both their integrity and their authority somewhat in question.

Third, your second "reference" seems to support MY position, rather than yours. Perhaps you should polish up your reading skills.

Fourth, why don't you go peddle your nonsense to all of the sanctioning bodies on this planet, since they don't share your opinion, either.

You're trying unsuccessfully to make a case for something that just aint so. Let it go.

Next contestant.

:kaboom:

not unsuccessfully..post #12 is fact. if you want to kill him or for him to crash his car he will listen to you and use a sway bar. he asked which is better for 1/4 mile...thats an anti-roll bar mounted to the body and axle. how much racing does that KB see?? :rollseyes

Taz

Established Member
not unsuccessfully..post #12 is fact. if you want to kill him or for him to crash his car he will listen to you and use a sway bar. he asked which is better for 1/4 mile...thats an anti-roll bar mounted to the body and axle. how much racing does that KB see?? :rollseyes

:lol:

Hahahaha!!! Dr. DOOM speaks! Hahahaha!!!!

What a maroon! Oh, and this KB sees plenty of track time, thank you very much.

236888.jpg

:rollseyes

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
:lol:

Hahahaha!!! Dr. DOOM speaks! Hahahaha!!!!

What a maroon! Oh, and this KB sees plenty of track time, thank you very much.

:rollseyes

ooop...now the name calling starts. im not the one telling a drag racer to use a sway bar.

whats it run?

Taz

Established Member
ooop...now the name calling starts. im not the one telling a drag racer to use a sway bar.

whats it run?

What it runs is irrelevant. This isn't about who's d1ck is bigger.

Anyway, you've just about pegged my Fun Meter, so I'm finished with this nonsense. Go ahead and get your last words in, Junior. Obviously you're determined to have the last say so have at it. There's already adequate OBJECTIVE evidence above to enable anyone to arrive at an informed conclusion regarding who's right and who's full of it.

Bye, now.

:p

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
What it runs is irrelevant. This isn't about who's d1ck is bigger.

Anyway, you've just about pegged my Fun Meter, so I'm finished with this nonsense. Go ahead and get your last words in, Junior. Obviously you're determined to have the last say so have at it. There's already adequate OBJECTIVE evidence above to enable anyone to arrive at an informed conclusion regarding who's right and who's full of it.

Bye, now.

:p

yea..its about the best BAR for drag racing....which is it??

aww..so sad to see you go. i was just asking sinceIm a drag racer and ask everyone their times...plus its a KB..guess its not too impressive or your embarrassed you can't drive?

you are right though...the pictures and descriptions of what they are will show the intended use of that item.

btw..if you dodnt come off as such a POS this never would have happened. your the first person on this forum in my 5k+ posts to have some issue...must have been me :nonono:

NOXCUSES

Z0SICK
Established Member
Sorry but anti sway bars, and anti roll bars are different. Call MM and ask them. They say anit roll bars suck, and I should get there anti sway bar. I will be going with baseline on this, and thanks to taz for being a jackass

Users who are viewing this thread