Any 3.5EB F-150 Owners Out There

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Fixed the issue. It turns out the factory thermostats in the 2017 3.5s is a 195 and does not fully open until 217 degrees. In 2018 and up they switched back to a 185, not sure why the 2017s are different.

I had the factory 180 thermostat from my Mustang laying around, turns out its a direct fit so I installed it. I went out for a 20 mile drive and temps never rose past 200 and the fans never came on one time. For the most part temps stayed in the 190-200 range which I am comfortable with. Previously, my cruising temps were in the low 230s. Maybe I had a faulty thermostat to begin with...... who knows.

I'm rather disappointed in Ford for not seeing this and blaming it on me by removing my intercooler grill shutters. Only downside to this is my truck ate my 1/4 in. extension, i've had it for nearly 20 years........

Glad you fixed it. Was there a TSB for this? Or did ford just choose to change Tstat in 2018 up? I couldn't find a TSB on this.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Glad you fixed it. Was there a TSB for this? Or did ford just choose to change Tstat in 2018 up? I couldn't find a TSB on this.

Sorry, I think I posted bad info. I was going off of what I read on a different forum. I went to tascaparts and the part numbers for the 2017+ t-stats are the same. I think they went with a hotter stat trying to squeeze out every mpg possible.

My truck was never technically overheating just on the verge, I honestly think my OEM stat was not fully opening.

nxhappy

Established Member
could have been an air pocket in the system causing overheat

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm rather disappointed in Ford for not seeing this and blaming it on me by removing my intercooler grill shutters. Only downside to this is my truck ate my 1/4 in. extension, i've had it for nearly 20 years........

Glad you fixed it. Can't say I'm surprised about the tech. I had one try to say my aftermarket air filter was causing my Expedition to suddenly lose all power. It was just a drop in AEM filter in the stock housing. Oh, and that was after they already diagnosed it as a bad MAF sensor. The tech tried to keep my filter after swapping it with a stock paper filter. He was really surprised when I showed up at his bay wanting my filter back.

Users who are viewing this thread