Any advantages in a single clutch (vs twin)?

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
Anyone have a good handle on advantages of a single vs twin clutch besides cost? I am really trying to make the right decision on a clutch, and while I am leaning to the Mcleod RXT twin disc or the Ram twin disc, I was wondering what others thought...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would say since you got a whipple 2.9 I wouldn't even think about a single disc

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
Yeah but why? Power issues? I am pretty set on the RXT after reading a bunch of threads, but the single discs are WAY cheaper...also need to decide which flywheel!

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Use the lighter flywheel.

Now as far as clutches go you should stick with the twin disc due to the holding capacity. Most of your single set-ups will only hold up to 750-800hp on a good unit. There is an advantage for running a single has long as the moment of inertia is lower. (less weight/closer to center.) The twins usually allow for running a smaller diameter disc allowing for a moment of inertia to be reduced while still maintaining enough clamping force/friction. A twin Disc system will usually easily hold 750hp and beyond. Twins basically are picking up were the single leaves off on not having enough frictional force and begins to slip which builds heat and kills the clutch. A clutch should not slip(unless in a sintered iron clutchless transmission car).

I really like the McLeod units and I support them. Spec is suggested a lot and Im ok with them on more track oriented cars but don't really car for them for street cars based on my personal taste and experiences. The McLeod will be more street friendly(no on/off) and will hold just fine. But the Spec fits for some personal tastes. Ram I don't really have a solid experience with to give a real opinion on one way or another.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
With twin disk it will grab much harder and won't have much chatter for daily driving. Its the same reason why 2 piston brake calipers are better than 1.

abramsbrian

Established Member
Talk to Van from Revan Racing. He knows all the clutches and will help you figure out the best package.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
I have a Spec 3+ Clutch & it holds up great. This is probably your best bet for single disc clutches. No chatter, easy driveability, no slippage after 30k miles....

Users who are viewing this thread