Any Blow through MAF kit for the Hellion?

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Like the title says, I am currently deployed, which means I'm saving up a little more money for some additional mods to the Cobra. I am tired of the stalling issue I have with the Hellion kit and want to convert to a blow through system. I did a search and found some good stuff, but I was wondering if anybody was putting together a "bolt on" type kit for a Blow Through MAF? Thanks.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
I have a custom Blow Thru set up on my car designed by TRBO VNM. I don't want to speak for him, so hopefully he will chime in, but I believe over the winter he wanted to get my car back in his shop so that he can have his fabricator make some duplicates of my set up. My car was used as the guinea pig for this design. My car was tuned by Lund and I have no stalling issues at all.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I have a custom Blow Thru set up on my car designed by TRBO VNM. I don't want to speak for him, so hopefully he will chime in, but I believe over the winter he wanted to get my car back in his shop so that he can have his fabricator make some duplicates of my set up. My car was used as the guinea pig for this design. My car was tuned by Lund and I have no stalling issues at all.

Yea, I wish there was a way I could get my car up to TRBO VNM so he could go over the whole thing and sort a few issues out. He seems to be the smartest guy I know when it comes to the Hellion kit. I would also like to get my car tuned by Lund.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
That stalling problem your talking about. Are you meaning when the car tries to die coming to a sudden stop? Mine will stall if I give it some gas then quickly put it in neutral and hit the brakes. Sometimes while downshifting through turns at low speeds it will try to die which is dangerous imo. Almost had a car hit me in the back once because of this. I thought at first that it was a vaccum leak somewhere but couldnt find anything. Is this what your talking about? I had the same problem with my old vortech sometimes. Is it because of the draw thru? Im thinking about converting anyways...

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
That stalling problem your talking about. Are you meaning when the car tries to die coming to a sudden stop? Mine will stall if I give it some gas then quickly put it in neutral and hit the brakes. Sometimes while downshifting through turns at low speeds it will try to die which is dangerous imo. Almost had a car hit me in the back once because of this. I thought at first that it was a vaccum leak somewhere but couldnt find anything. Is this what your talking about? I had the same problem with my old vortech sometimes. Is it because of the draw thru? Im thinking about converting anyways...

yeah.. thats the draw through. going blow through eliminates the stall. also adds a non recirculating bov.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I'm waiting on a car to be up with Trbo Vnm so he can make me a blow thru kit as well. I talked to him about it and we are just waiting for an actual car to show up that we can use to do it.

You can also get it all from VMP tuning, but you would have to put it together yourself. They have the tubes, MAF's, housings, etc and they link a site that has the couplers you need.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I made my own for a customers car. Its very simple to do yourself, you just need someone to weld the flanges onto the pipe.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
I'm waiting on a car to be up with Trbo Vnm so he can make me a blow thru kit as well. I talked to him about it and we are just waiting for an actual car to show up that we can use to do it.

You can also get it all from VMP tuning, but you would have to put it together yourself. They have the tubes, MAF's, housings, etc and they link a site that has the couplers you need.

Thanks, I will check VMP out to see what they offer. I guess my plan now is to convert to blow through, then head to Amazon for a tune since they are fairly close to me.

Looking at this on their site, does anybody have any idea which set up would be ideal for my setup. I'm only looking for around 650-700rwhp for the street?

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=catalog&parent=99&pg=1

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
you want a 3.5" tube with a slot sensor. Depending on power levels you may need a mafia.

I would just buy the flange for $50 and have it welded to a straight piece of 3.5" tubing. Much cheaper.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
I think it should be easy enough for Jason to do. He's probably just limited on time. Dude's extremely busy ALL the time, but he does somehow find a way to talk with everyone and answer everyone's questions almost immediately. Although the stalling issue has been taken care of in the tune, I would definitely buy a blow-thru kit from Jason if he ever started generating them.

As a matter of fact, J...if you are going to start puting them out, I'd like to be a the top of the list. Let's get going on it man.:beer:;-)

syclone50

Established Member
you want a 3.5" tube with a slot sensor. Depending on power levels you may need a mafia.

I would just buy the flange for $50 and have it welded to a straight piece of 3.5" tubing. Much cheaper.

Would the 3.5 tubing and a stock 05-08 meter with a mafia be enough for 650-700hp

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
Would the 3.5 tubing and a stock 05-08 meter with a mafia be enough for 650-700hp

You want to use a Shelby sensor or the HPX sensor. I did the Shelby sensor w/MAfia on a single Turbo 01 making 865rwhp with room still left in the meter.

TRBO VNM

Just saw this. yes, I have been trying to have a bolt in kit made. the fabricator I had to 03 whippled cobra's did not feel comfortable making more pipes to send out across the country. pissed me off because he knew before hand that I wanted to put a complete kit together and after doing the first he felt that the fitment was too tight people could run into fitment issues. on mike's car, I had him use smooth bends instead of 90's to minimize turbulence. I found out the gt500/slot style sensors are not as prone to turbulance issues, so my plan was to get Mike's car or someone else's if they want me to do the conversion for them and have the piping made with the 90 degree bends in hopes of adding clearance and the guy being more comfortable duplicating the piping without the car being there and then have it tuned and see how it does.

Jason (badsube) if you want to do this, I would be more than happy to get it all done for you if you don't mind getting the car down to me since winter is coming anyway.

for those with the stalling issue, a lot of it can be corrected and sometimes eliminated in the tune if your tuner knows how. some cars react different and it can never fully be eliminated.

what Dave (Juiced46) did with the fender setup works great and is a cheaper way to do it for sure. IMO, if I am spending the money to do it, I would do it like I did Mike's. I got rid of the oval to round transition coupler at the tbody and used a procharger cast metal transition from their supercharger kit. I then used 3.5" mild steel pipe from that transitiion to go down through the opening where the stock filter box goes. then had a short 3" mild steel piece that went up to the intercooler. 3.5 would work, but you would have to trim some of the metal bumper support and I wasn't able to find a quality coupler from 2.5" to 3.5". I could only find .5" transition couplers. All the couplers I used on Mike's car were from the same place Hellion gets theirs and are 4 ply. He got a flange from VMP in steel and then a gt500 sensor. IMO there is no need to spend the money on the HPX sensor because you need a MAFia anyway to convert the terminator connector to the slot style connector. Ford unfortunately more than doubled their price on the sensor, but it is still cheaper than the HPX.

The one I did on Mike's car, we did trim some of the lip on the inner fender where the stock air box went. originally there was a tab welded on to bolt the pipe to the frame to keep it clear from the fender, but with the engine torq'ing and everything, I didn't feel comfortable with a fixed mounting point like that. What I may try on the next pipe is still have the tab and then use a couple of grommets, 1 between the fender and tab and another between the tab and bolt. And use a nylon insert nut so that way I don't have to hammer down on tightening the bolt. hopefully something like this will give some cushion for torq'ing of the motor.

so that is where I stand right now and part of the reason I haven't posted pictures.

BTW, Jason and others, part of the reason I haven't been on or as active as much is that I just started a new full time job. so I am trying to limit the internet time during the day since CSS is a part time thing for me. Anyone can call me at the number in my sig and if needed, leave a message and I will call you back.

Last edited:

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the insight TRBO VNM. Please let me know if you make any more headway with your idea. I will be deployed for the next couple of months, so I have some time. I would like to convert to a blow through system one I get back.

I will probably pick yours, Philly's, and Juiced's brains a bit more. Thanks again for your help.

I still plan on taking my car to Amazon for tuning, so hopefully they will be able to help resolve the stall issue.

syclone50

Established Member
You want to use a Shelby sensor or the HPX sensor. I did the Shelby sensor w/MAfia on a single Turbo 01 making 865rwhp with room still left in the meter.

Shelby sensor, got it!
When ordering the MAFIA do I just pick up the one for 05-09 mustangs? Is it a direct plug in for the 03-04 MAF harness.

91notchback

Established Member
i have gone blow thru and still have these stalling issues except it seems to have gotton worse, and my tuner cant figure it out it seems. shit sucks and is frustrating

Users who are viewing this thread