Any Blow through MAF kit for the Hellion?

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
i have gone blow thru and still have these stalling issues except it seems to have gotton worse, and my tuner cant figure it out it seems. shit sucks and is frustrating

No kidding, stall issue with blow-thru? Definitely sounds like something that can be worked out in the tune. Who did your blow-thru setup? Who's doing the tuning on it?

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
Well, I've done a lot of research and found although many people are experiencing the stall, about an equal number are not. For now I plan on taking the car to Amazon to see if they can tune the problem out, if not, then I will go with the blow through system.

badsube

Rescue Chief
Established Member
As strange as it may sound though, even though I have no stall issue, I really like the look of the blow-thru set-up with the filter right on the end of the turbo. I think it looks much cleaner.

J, I'm just wondering who still transports cars in MACA. I'm not sure if Don still does it? I'd love to drop my car off for you to do. I'd just be a matter of getting it down to you. Thanks man.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
As strange as it may sound though, even though I have no stall issue, I really like the look of the blow-thru set-up with the filter right on the end of the turbo. I think it looks much cleaner.

J, I'm just wondering who still transports cars in MACA. I'm not sure if Don still does it? I'd love to drop my car off for you to do. I'd just be a matter of getting it down to you. Thanks man.

I may be getting an enclosed trailor soon.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Well, I've done a lot of research and found although many people are experiencing the stall, about an equal number are not. For now I plan on taking the car to Amazon to see if they can tune the problem out, if not, then I will go with the blow through system.

Most of the people I have seen with the stall are 03/04 cobra owners with the larger 76 turbo. Seems like the stang kits with the 62" turbo is a lot less prone to expierencing the backwash. I'm not staiting a fact, just an obsevation.

TRBO VNM

no problem Jason. just let me know. I can do it whenever. I just completed all my big projects and just have some smaller things coming up. along with working on my car finally. :beer:

geeteego

What???
Established Member
I have no idea. I've never heard of it being run that way on a Mustang.

I ran SD on my old Vortech supercharged 1993 Steeda coupe 11ty billion years ago, but that was long before OBDII and all the computer nannies we have now. I would assume you could do it just like we do in the GM cars, but I am admittedly not familiar with the newer Ford tuning software. I get excellent driveability, even with a big cam and 9:1 compression.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks, I will check VMP out to see what they offer. I guess my plan now is to convert to blow through, then head to Amazon for a tune since they are fairly close to me.

Looking at this on their site, does anybody have any idea which set up would be ideal for my setup. I'm only looking for around 650-700rwhp for the street?

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: MAF Housings

I make flanges that you can weld onto your existing intercooler tubing to convert to blow-through, or entire maf housings that you can insert into the system with couplers.

For most street cars I would recommend you use 3" intercooler tubing, as you get a good quality maf signal and a decent amount of range. I make the weld on flanges in steel and alum. I also make a 75mm ID x 8" long housing designed for blow-through, its slightly larger than 3" OD IC tubing so it gives you a little more range but still matches in size well.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: MAF Flanges
VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: VMP Blow-through 75MM MAF housing and PMAS HPX MAF sensor

I would not use the shelby/gt/v6 05+ slot style maf sensor, as it does not provide enough range for a 3" tube, even with a mafia. The 05+ maf's have an internal voltage output limit of around 6v, so you can't go beyond setting 3 or 4 with a mafia.

I would recommend the HPX sensor, as it will support 600-700rwhp in a 3" tube on a turbo 4v with no mafia.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: PMAS HPX 05+ Slot Style MAF Sensor

05oem75mm.jpg

A couple catches...

2.5" tube is TOO small to put a maf in, you won't get any kind of range from, you need at least 3" tubing.

You need to step up to 3" several feet before the maf and give the air a chance to spread out, even a 6-12" long cone transition is not enough, the air will still act like its a smaller tube. The pics of kevin's part on MF are a good example of the right way to do it.

Signal quality decreases as you go larger in tube size, by 4" or 4.5" the signal will get much rougher, 3.5" is acceptable for most applications. You can run a big housing in suck through and get a good quality signal, but going much larger in blow-through makes the signal very erratic.

For those looking for more range and power I do make an 83mm x 12" long blow-through housing which will still give a decent signal, its 3.25" ID and I would use it with 3.5" intercooler tubing.

TRBO VNM

justin,

what about the gt500 sensor in a 3.5" tube? I understand why not in a 3" tube, but I have used them in 3.5" tubes without issue. Jon Lund has been doing the tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread