any body gut their stock cats?

heatsoaked12

Established Member
I haven't but im sure it would be a noticeable power increase. I'm also sure it would stink following you and there would have to be tune adjustments so that the rear 02 sensor don't rat you out.

erod

Established Member
I just installed a o/r x on mine and I did notice a feel in more,power but the smell is unbearable. I think im going back to my high flows

Black Sex

Established Member
I had mine replaced at 2200 miles. I put a TVS on at 2700 miles and gutted the new cats that Ford just warrantied.
Yes there is alittle smell of gas at idle. Doesn't bother me too much. That might be something that can be fixed or helped in the tune.
The car sounds so much better, although it does have the hollow tinny sound about 2200-2500 rpm from the cats not being there. Im still running stock mufflers. I will be adding some LT's with a non catted pipe over winter.

Black Sex

Established Member
I just installed a o/r x on mine and I did notice a feel in more,power but the smell is unbearable. I think im going back to my high flows

Did you have the car retuned? Don't quote me on this but I think the car adds more fuel to cool the cats down and if they aren't there then....

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run high flow cats, (look like resonator's) and love em. Good sound, no gas smells, no codes.

2nd2none

Established Member
Did you have the car retuned? Don't quote me on this but I think the car adds more fuel to cool the cats down and if they aren't there then....

I had dynatech longtubes with high flow cats. I decided to order the cat delete pipes and installed them without a new tune. I would occasionally get a DTC for cat efficiency being below threshold (P0430 i think) since they weren't there but it still ran fine. I didn't feel I needed a new tune. I ran like that for 6+ months and when I finally pulled the plugs the shop said they could tell it was running a little rich. Nothing bad though.

erod

Established Member
mine must be real rich then bc it makes ur eyes water. im 27 and im for the whole real muscle car deal but when it makes your eyes water and you clothes reak of it its to much

IA Shelby

Established Member
Hi-flows are a great option until 625-650 rwhp.

After that your cats will run through their nine lives pretty quickly.

GTOGreg

Crazy Sum-B
Established Member
mine must be real rich then bc it makes ur eyes water. im 27 and im for the whole real muscle car deal but when it makes your eyes water and you clothes reak of it its to much

You're way rich. That happened to me when I first got my 67 GTO, the original owner didn't know how to tune his quadrajet. Get 'er tuned right...

Users who are viewing this thread