Any Cobra lowering springs actually work??

KOOY

Established Member
What are the pros and cons for the stock spring cutting. Is there any possible harm to a car because of the cutting?

KiLLaBytE

Established Member
H&R SuperSport springs... 1.5" drop front and rear.
i love them!!! car looks MUCH better and handles better too!

PSide.jpg

FKing1

Established Member
My OP is cutting stock springs should not hurt the car. Several people have done this and may chime in. The ride may be a bit softer due to the lost coil. I cut my rear Steedas one coil and did not notice any diff in the ride. One con is if you don't like the cut stock and choose to replace with an after market, the springs are a huge PITA to take in and out.
Fred K.

Last edited:

jonas

Established Member
Originally posted by FKing1
My OP is cutting stock springs should not hurt the car. Several people have done this and may chime in. The ride may be a bit softer due to the lost coil. I cut my rear Steedas one coil and did not notice any diff in the ride. One con is if you don't like the cut stock and choose to replace with an after market, the springs are a huge PITA to take in and out.
Fred K.

I wouldt cut springs for one reason
resell value.

These cars are the next Grand national, and supra. In 10 years you will see these car sell for 20-30k used trust me. You want to keep all your stock shit so you can sell the car (if you could even do such a thing) For me, once its completely worn out she will be retired off th estreets for track duty

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Jonas, your car is BAD! Looks so sick. You mind me asking how much it cost for those 3 gauges and the A pillar all teogether?

venomous99

Established Member
These cars are the next Grand national, and supra. In 10 years you will see these car sell for 20-30k used trust me.

i beg to differ. cobras were produced in larger #s than a GN and the supra is a discontinued car in the US. cobras will be around for as long as there is a mustang and im sure the future cobras will be more powerful and an all around better car making previous cobras to be desired less.

THE FLASH

"Mr. Sulu, Warp factor 3"
Established Member
I have an 03 vert and have the kenny brown club springs. it lowered my car. The front lowered almost an 1" and the rear lowered 1/2" to 3/4".

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
if you cut your factory springs and you really wanted to go back to stock I'm sure you could always order stock replacements from the dealer or find someone who put in aftermarkets and take their old ones off their hands really cheap.

what about heating the coils vs cutting them? and when you lower the car either by aftermarket springs or whatever, is it necessary to adjust camber/toe in, etc...?

Thanks,

Ben

jonas

Established Member
Originally posted by venomous99
i beg to differ. cobras were produced in larger #s than a GN and the supra is a discontinued car in the US. cobras will be around for as long as there is a mustang and im sure the future cobras will be more powerful and an all around better car making previous cobras to be desired less.

I'm specifically talking 03-04 cobras what made these cars special is they were quick but can be made super quick cheap. Lets see if ford keeps up with the forged hardware.

SWEET03COBRA

Established Member
Hey "The Flash", you got a pic. I always like to keep the ass end up a little more. I would sure like to see how your kit looks.

FKing1

Established Member
Suggestion to heat the springs is not a good one. Heating will anneal the metalurgical properties and reduce the spring rate. Also, it will be nigh impossible to control the amount of drop by heating 2 or 4 springs. Should always get alignment after lowering.
Fred K.

fastsnake99

top down, chrome spinnin'
Established Member
is it possible to cut a coil off the springs on a vert or would that be too much weight to hold up? currently dont have the money to spend on springs and really miss having my dropped 99 cobra vert on eibachs. anyone seen a 03 vert with a coil cut off? and do you think it would work?

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member
do it right or dont do it at all, dont cut or heat the springs, it might be acceptable on a $2000 used pos civic, not on a $30+k cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread