Any cyclists around?

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
I've been interested in cycling for a long time. Watch the Tour de France as well as all the other events I can catch every year for the past 5 or 6 and have done a few short events myself. In the last couple months I've decided to start taking it a little more seriously and pick up my own road bike instead of using the hybrid I've been using.
If anyone out there knows anything about road bikes, I'm debating between a 2010 Trek 2.1 with Shimano 105 components or a Cannondale CAAD9 R5. Both are around the same price. The Cannondale has a more rigid frame for racing but is slightly less comfortable on the long rides while the Trek, I've been told, has a little bit lower quality frame, higher quality components, but is pretty damn comfortable.
I don't know if there are even any people on the board interested in cycling but if there are, feel free to comment because like I said I'm getting more and more interested in making it a full time hobby.

oldmodman

Established Member
I'm a "city cyclist"

My current and only ride is a thirty year old Specialized Stumpjumper, 1st generation. And I don't think I ever go over 15mph. And that's downhill with a tailwind.

The only thing I know about current "racing" bikes is they cost a whole lot of money. And it helps to be fit if you are going to ride one.

stangzor

Established Member
I ride with the cycling groups each and every day of the week (except for sundays). I ride on average about 75-80 miles a day and average 26 to 28. Personally I like the fuji's I have a fuji aloha i picked up for $800 which is pretty cheap compared to other brands. I would prefer the trek over canondale as I know all the components are made in the U.S.A im not so sure about canondale.

scottminot

Established Member
Been cycling for 22 years.
I started mountain biking in 1988 up until 2000 when I bought my first road bike.
Rode on the road for 9 years and after getting hit by cars three times decided to go back to mountain biking.
I still hit the road from time to time but mainly stick to the woods where its safe.

These are my wheels.

2.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Hawaii-50

Established Member
My vote is for the Cannondale. I may just be brand biased though. I started out mountainbiking with a Cannondale 18 years ago and a couple of years ago transitioned to a Cannondale triathlon/TT bike. No complaints with either regarding comfort. That Cannondale SIX13 above is one pricey ride (but damn nice). I opted for the tri bike for 3/4 the cost. Cannondale frames are handmade in the USA. Many of its components (shimano), like most bikes, are made overseas. My advice to you is to do as much research and test ride every bike extensively before you buy. The bike shop should offer to fit you to your bike before you leave. Good luck.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
Do the Cannondale - a.) the CAAD9 frame has been getting great reviews on bikeforums.net for quite some time, and b.) start with a good frame because you can (and probably will have to) replace components down the road.

I don't have a picture, but I have a 2005 CAAD8 with Shimano Ultegra and Ksyrium Elites. My dream bike is either a Lynskey R230 or a Merlin Cyrene, but I have to finish school and probably residency before I can afford those.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I've been interested in cycling for a long time. Watch the Tour de France as well as all the other events I can catch every year for the past 5 or 6 and have done a few short events myself. In the last couple months I've decided to start taking it a little more seriously and pick up my own road bike instead of using the hybrid I've been using.
If anyone out there knows anything about road bikes, I'm debating between a 2010 Trek 2.1 with Shimano 105 components or a Cannondale CAAD9 R5. Both are around the same price. The Cannondale has a more rigid frame for racing but is slightly less comfortable on the long rides while the Trek, I've been told, has a little bit lower quality frame, higher quality components, but is pretty damn comfortable.
I don't know if there are even any people on the board interested in cycling but if there are, feel free to comment because like I said I'm getting more and more interested in making it a full time hobby.
one good advice i can give is if you have a performance bike shop near your area i suggest checking them out. if you have a performance bought bike, you get a life time of tune-ups (which i believe include brake inspection, gear lube, wheel truing). ill edit this comment when i pick up my bike tomorrow.

one cool thing i did was i found some nice pedals for sale online at performance's website, which the stores didnt have; and on tuesdays during lunch hour they add an additional 5% off, so need less to say i bought some shimano pd-6700 for $91 out the door (original price $179, current sale is $129)
this was back in march

J_ho67

MD in training
Established Member
Thanks for all the comments guys. I went buy the local bike shop again today to get a ballpark price for how much the bikes with all the accessories would cost total. I also rode both bikes again, and while I'm not really leaning towards one over the other, I can definitely tell a difference between the two. The Cannondale was a little bit stiffer, but felt faster and more planted in the corners while the Trek was slightly more comfortable and plush but felt just a bit slower with the same gears and effort in both.
It's a tough choice, I'll probably have to ride both a number of times before I can make a decision, but I'm pretty excited about it.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I'm looking to buy a cheaper bike that can be used on the road and on trails. I'd like to get a couple sets of tires and just swap back and forth. I know you get what you pay for but I'm looking to ride a max of 50 miles a week so I can't see spending $1k on a bike.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
In all honesty I would not buy new if this is your first bike. Spend the time and search around for a nice used one. That is what I did. I spent the time on the used one first until I was for sure that I was going to stick with it. Once that had been decided that is when I went out and spent the money on a nice new one.

I am going to have a biased view of course. I would suggest looking into Felt brand. Amazing bikes. That is the brand TT/Tri bike I have. They make some awesome entry level road bikes as well. Felt has been around for a very long time. Of the ones you mentioned, don't think you will go wrong with either one. I know guys I ride with that have both brands. They love them both. For a beignner I would look at the softer ride frame first. Don't worry about going all out for a high end bike in the beginning, work your way up.

Pic of my bike the night before a race...
DSC01501.jpg

Phantom_LS2

bringing the pain!!!
Established Member
I would say to check out bikesdirect.com. I have a triathlon bike that came from there and can't be more happy with it. Here's what my bike looks like:

710c49cc.jpg

Actually getting ready for a quick 8 mile ride now followed up with a 2 mile run.

Users who are viewing this thread