Any difference between Tri-ax and Pro 50?

j card

Established Member
Is there any performance difference at all here? Just wondering before I buy. I know a lot of people have both and are happy, just trying to decide. If they are identical I guess I'll flip a coin.

ALA G8R

Banned
I don't have any experience with the Pro 5.0. I have a Tri-ax in my 03 and had one previously in my 98 Cobra. It was my first mod in each vehicle. Shifts much crisper versus stock.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
I was at my local parts shop the other day and they had the 5.0, tri-ax, kirban and some other model shifter side by side.

The 5.0 was the sturdiest one there. The triax was pretty light and cost a bit less than the 5.0.

I had a 5.0 in my camaro and Ill probably get another one but i like the stock shifter. Probably in the minority but im not changing mine for a while.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I installed a Pro 5.0 in my 97 Cobra and a Triax in my 03.

I wish now I had went with the Pro 5.0 in this car too. I'm still experiencing a bit of "indecisiveness" on the part of the shifter mechanism when both down shifting into the upper-tiered gears (1 -3 - 5) and in the up-shifting throw from 3 -4 gear.

The Pro 5.0 was more solidly built, but there was a requirement to cut the inner boot, that's the only reason I went with it the Triax.

Now the MGW handle is another matter. It's a quality part and it really helps you "fine tune" the shifter's position as it relates to the driver.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Some of that shifting indecisiveness has to do with the tranny, not just the shifter. The Pro 5.0 and TriAx are both great shifters. And there are others, too. Hurst and Kirban for example. It's more a personal choice. I use the TriAx and like it. But I'd just as quickly use one of the other three above as well.

Users who are viewing this thread