Any issues with 2012 GT500

Gearhead-FMC

Established Member
Been looking at a few GT500's.....

Got my eye on a couple -- both with less than 15k miles.

Just wondering if there are any issues with the 2012 Shelby's? Any area I should look at more closely?

TIA

lsp408

Established Member
I had rear brake squeak noise and turned out to be bent axle.
Other than that, just clutch. Heard stock clutch can handle some abuse but not in stop n go traffic

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
From what I have have read....

-Transmission grind. 1-2 gear is the worst
-Electrical gremlins.

Other then that they are good to go.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I had rear brake squeak noise and turned out to be bent axle.
Other than that, just clutch. Heard stock clutch can handle some abuse but not in stop n go traffic
I live in Atlanta, daily drive my car in that awful traffic and I have had no issues with my clutch. I love my car and would buy another in a heartbeat.

APMECH

Established Member
Recommend an aggressive test drive, check that 1-2 shift at redline, if you can get traction... You might notice clutch engagement is high, which is normal on the '12s.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Recommend an aggressive test drive, check that 1-2 shift at redline, if you can get traction... You might notice clutch engagement is high, which is normal on the '12s.

Really? Mine is low...but I have the clutch line upgrade.

My only issue is I can't seem to drive it enough.....lol, don't hesitate they are badass cars. I took my favorite parts of the 13 (front grills and tvs) and added them to my car...my car makes 13 power for 15k less. Best of luck in your search

Last edited:

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I don't have the 1-2 grind but I have had some general issues from typical normal driving:

-Even though I let the car "warm up" to temp [typically 5 to 15 minutes depending on outside temps] & I have parked it in 2nd gear over-nite:
In the first 10 or 20 minutes driving, It randomly won't want to engage 2nd gear so I'll either skip to 3rd or "clutch it" again then will go into 2nd.
Or I am slowing down smoothly and its in 3rd gear, typically between 20-30 mph, It won't come out of 3rd as if its somewhat "locked"....
But if I get on it & drive it "smartly" with some authority, the car shifts normal.

-The Base "Shaker" Head unit: There's times my head unit "freezes" where it attempts to play mp3's via the USB connection but no matter what I do the music is "locked in pause" showing 0:00 music timer until I stop, turn the car off, and literally pull the key out the ignition. Then start all over; presto the radio will play my current playlist from the USB like nothing happened.

-During low speed stops being extremely gentle on the brakes, I get "squeals" as if I'm in a beater. But if I sort of stop aggressively there is no noise.

So these are the "quirks" I have with mine so far........

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I had a driver side rotor squeak and had to replace the rear pads and cut the driver side rotor...3,100 miles on mine...seen it smoking on the Dyno so I new something was not right.

Users who are viewing this thread