Any M3 Owners Here?

Evan5469

Established Member
I'm in need of a new daily driver and was considering an E36 or early model E46 M3. I'm just wondering if it would be a good decision. What can I expect as far as maintenance costs? How reliable are they? I know how to do basic maintnance and repairs to cars but don't want a car that I'll be working on more than driving. Also, I'm coming from a 95 Jeep that has been the most reliable car I've ever owned and will be keeping the Cobra.

Yes, I realize I could ask a BMW forum for advice, but I know there are a few M3 owners on here that will be able to add their 2 cents. :thumbsup:

ViciousJay

Established Member
former owner, maintenance is a expensive, like 2K expensive every 30K, reliability? Dont get an SMG and youll save yourself a lot of head aches. Front end and rear bushings need to be swapped out often. But the worst part is the VANOS system
M3's arent terrible cars but are a lot like women, they need a lot of attention

Last edited:

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
my dad daily drives is 06' e46 convertible with SMG and has had no problems. he has about 28k miles on it now. maintenance wise he spends about $100-130 a year in oil changes. 10w-60's expensive lol. He also has Dinan Stage 2 engine software and an eisenmann rear section exhaust. Both are expensive upgrades but the car pulls like hell now.

Kiohtee

Established Member
my dad daily drives is 06' e46 convertible with SMG and has had no problems. he has about 28k miles on it now. maintenance wise he spends about $100-130 a year in oil changes. 10w-60's expensive lol. He also has Dinan Stage 2 engine software and an eisenmann rear section exhaust. Both are expensive upgrades but the car pulls like hell now.

$130 a year for oil changes isn't expensive lol. I've had my Camaro since March and have already spent $100 in oil changes. :lol:

Kiohtee

Established Member
he only changes it once a year or every 15,000 miles.

I change mine every 3,000 miles, so I spend $250 every 15,000 miles. Either way you try cutting this if the oil life is 15K miles and it's only $130 it's still cheaper than a lot of other options.

Fuerza

Established Member
E46 M3 is probably the best drivers car I have ever owned. It was very nibble and quick when you ring it out in the upper RPMs. I too had an SMG, stay away! Get a clutch pedal 6 speed and enjoy!

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
former owner, maintenance is a expensive, like 2K expensive every 30K, reliability? Dont get an SMG and youll save yourself a lot of head aches. Front end and rear bushings need to be swapped out often. But the worst part is the VANOS system
M3's arent terrible cars but are a lot like women, they need a lot of attention

What is wrong with the VANOS system on the E36 or E46 M3? Or any model for that matter?

he only changes it once a year or every 15,000 miles.
Tell him to start changing his oil every 7k at least. I know BMW recommends 15k, but they also pay for the oil services under warranty. With only 28K on it now, he hasn't done any harm. If he continues these long oil service intervals, he will have major sludge problems. He could harm the VANOS system VJ was talking about and even wipe out the valvetrain due to lack of oil.

To the op: E36 will be less expensive to maintain and is an absolute blast to drive. Keep the oil changed and watch your temp gauge. Most BMWs use a 2 bar (almost 30psi) cooling system. When the radiator decides to spring a leak it will usually just blow out. Most of the work can be done by your average do-it-yourselfer, but find a reputable shop in your town for the other stuff.

E46 is a great car, but has a few issues and is more expensive to maintain. That 30 psi cooling system is more expensive and has M3 specific parts. The E36 M3 cooling system basically the same as all E36 6 cylinder cars. Stay away from SMG. It is pretty reliable, but it costs a lot to repair anything that might go wrong and it goes through clutches more often. E46 M3s had a problem with the cam gear bolts rattling loose and destroying the motor. I have never seen this in person, but a quick Google search will show you that it is NOT uncommon. As easy as it is to do, I would pull the valve cover and replace the bolts with new ones. It is cheap insurance.

Catfood

Established Member
My brother drives an E36 M3 and my best friend has an e46. They are both phenomenal drivers cars, my brother has spent hardly any money on his and has owned it for a year or so. Basically oil changes and a plastic diffuser on the front that was cracked was the only costs.

As long as you stay away from the dealers the cars are relatively cheap to own.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
My brother drives an E36 M3 and my best friend has an e46. They are both phenomenal drivers cars, my brother has spent hardly any money on his and has owned it for a year or so. Basically oil changes and a plastic diffuser on the front that was cracked was the only costs.

As long as you stay away from the dealers the cars are relatively cheap to own.

I don't know about other dealers but my local dealer will rip you a new one if you are not careful.

Evan5469

Established Member
Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I would only be looking for a manual as I am not a very big fan of the SMG trans. I'm leaning more towards the 36 for what I'm looking to spend an they seem to be a very small, nimble car. The 46 seems to be a lot larger and quite a bit more expensive.

SVECobraR

Established Member
I have a E36 M3, its a 98 that i bought back in 2010 for $6200 with 88.5k miles. Two years and 30k miles later i've spent about $6-7k in repairs. That includes some body work, which was only $400, tires, services, radiator, interior work and a lot of stuff that goes out regularly. I don't want to say they are bad cars but they can definitely be hit or miss. They are a blast to drive though.

MANbearPIG11

super cereal
Established Member
I have a e39 m5 and its a fun car and my dad had a e46 m3. I had the vanos unit take a dump on me which could happen to any of these cars. The cars themselves aren't some magical thing, they are still a car and i think they are relatively easy to work on.

Aside from that they are very fun cars, the m5 is a big boat that just moves out. The m3 is much lighter and a lot more nimble of a car.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
i'm getting ready to buy one myself, e46. i have wanted one for years and finally gonna pull the trigger.

Evan5469

Established Member
i'm getting ready to buy one myself, e46. i have wanted one for years and finally gonna pull the trigger.

Being that you're in Cincy, check out enthusiastauto.com. I came across them in my search and they have a lot of very well maintained M-series cars. I feel they're a little more expensive than you'd find at other dealers, however they recondition every car they get in and seem to be pretty particular with what they sell. Just thought I'd pass it along.

SVT_4_me

Established Member
Being that you're in Cincy, check out enthusiastauto.com. I came across them in my search and they have a lot of very well maintained M-series cars. I feel they're a little more expensive than you'd find at other dealers, however they recondition every car they get in and seem to be pretty particular with what they sell. Just thought I'd pass it along.

yep, i know all about them. i have been to their shop and talked to the owner and got a very good vibe from them. they certainly charge a premium for the cars they sell, but you can count on the car being serviced as needed and it seems that they will stand behind the cars they sell.

i am looking to spend a little bit less money though, so i am scouring craigslist, forums, and autotrader to find the right car. i think i found it. thanks though... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread