Any M3 Owners Here?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
It's not an M car but it's a BMW obviously. E30, best beater ever. Cheap as dirt for parts, cake to work on and oddball good looking cars.

I change mine every 3,000 miles, so I spend $250 every 15,000 miles. Either way you try cutting this if the oil life is 15K miles and it's only $130 it's still cheaper than a lot of other options.

Your throwing away a lot of money though....

Instead you could be running Amsoil for 15k or 1 year and pocketing that cash.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
It's not an M car but it's a BMW obviously. E30, best beater ever. Cheap as dirt for parts, cake to work on and oddball good looking cars.

I daily drive an E28 myself and love it. I drive it hard and it never skips a beat. My wife has an E39 that I bought at the wrong time apparently. It seems like I am always working on it. Got most things fixed now though. I need to save a little to replace the abs/dsc module.

Op, you will not be disappointed with the E36. Are you looking at sedans or coupes?

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
he only changes it once a year or every 15,000 miles.

He better step it up to at very least half that mileage, or he will be rebuilding that motor sooner rather than later.

As for DDing, I would do the E36. It's not as high-strung, much more reliable, and cheaper to maintain. The E46 has a lot of problems (VANOS bolts and solenoid, rod bearings on early cars, rear subframe tearing out of the car) and maintenance (valve adjustments every 30k), though they do drive better. Be prepared to change the cooling system every 75k. They really are a lot of fun to drive, and as long as you maintain them, they'll treat you well.

Evan5469

Established Member
yep, i know all about them. i have been to their shop and talked to the owner and got a very good vibe from them. they certainly charge a premium for the cars they sell, but you can count on the car being serviced as needed and it seems that they will stand behind the cars they sell.

i am looking to spend a little bit less money though, so i am scouring craigslist, forums, and autotrader to find the right car. i think i found it. thanks though... :beer:

Yea, everything I've read from others that have done business with them have nothing but good things to say. They definitely do charge a premium though. Good luck in your search as well.

I daily drive an E28 myself and love it. I drive it hard and it never skips a beat. My wife has an E39 that I bought at the wrong time apparently. It seems like I am always working on it. Got most things fixed now though. I need to save a little to replace the abs/dsc module.

Op, you will not be disappointed with the E36. Are you looking at sedans or coupes?

I'm looking at both coupes and sedans. I'd prefer a coupe, however a sedan would probably a better bet in the long run and I know that's not even an option for the E46 M3's.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
You may like the way a coupe drives but the majority of people (including myself) like the way te sedan drives better. It feels more rigid and feels like it has more responsive handling than the coupe. Try to test drive both and see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread