Any Navy Officers or OCS applicants??

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
So Ive been trying to get in to the Navy OCS program, was just wondering if we had any Navy officers or OCS applicants (current or past) for any branch on SVTP.

I am in my application "infancy" as I just took the ASTB Friday and did decent 53/6/6/6 I was kind of disappointed. I was hoping for around a 55-65 and 7+s.
I had the Barron's ASTB study book and thought I was going to be ok on that alone, but it apparently leaves out quite a bit as far as the aviation knowledge. im really thinking about hitting the books HARD and retesting in a month when I can take it again.

I am going for Intel/Supply/Pilot

USNavyFlyer

Established Member
Went to OCS on 05. LT now with two deployments under my belt and living the good life instructing at VFA-106 these days. Honestly I don't remember the test at all.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
You have a better chance of going in enlisted and getting accepted than you do going straight in. Going to be putting in for intel soon. I've been enlisted for almost 3 years.

bunk22

Established Member
19 year Naval Officer and Navy pilot, currently on my final tour in the Navy, an IP in the T-45C Goshawk in Kingsville, Texas. Went the NROTC route years ago and the test was a bit different. Some good info on www.airwarriors.com, everything you want to know about Naval Aviation but search before you ask so as not to e-kicked :dw:

FLY NAVY :coolman:

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Where did you get that statistic?

No statistics needed. From what I have seen in the fleet, mind you I haven't met many flight officers sir, 90% are coming from STA or similar programs. I have talked with many OCS applicants and many prior enlisted commissioned officers and this is what I have seen in the fleet. I plan on applying for STA-21 in the future in the intelligence field. Kudos to everyone that has made it thus far as an officer, from which ever way they have decided to enter. You gentlemen and women get my undying respect and I hope to reside with you some day.

mustanginsin

Loyal To None
Established Member
Mustang O here. I went through OCS last year. Make sure you read over opnavinst1420.1b to get the word straight from the source on what's needed, what requirements there are for particular designators etc. so you can make the best package possible. A 53 on the OAR isn't a bad score. You'll be told that you need higher to be competitive and while that may be true for some programs, it depends on how strong you are on other areas of your application (LORs, GPA, etc.) and what the recruiting quotas are for a particular designator at a particular time. I'd find Officers that can look over your package and give you quality pointers on what may be proper adjustments. The worst thing they can say is "non-select" and you're right where you are now. Just put the application in (after the obvious fine-tooth comb qc) and see where you stand.

bunk22

Established Member
No statistics needed. From what I have seen in the fleet, mind you I haven't met many flight officers sir, 90% are coming from STA or similar programs. I have talked with many OCS applicants and many prior enlisted commissioned officers and this is what I have seen in the fleet. I plan on applying for STA-21 in the future in the intelligence field. Kudos to everyone that has made it thus far as an officer, from which ever way they have decided to enter. You gentlemen and women get my undying respect and I hope to reside with you some day.

Unfortunately, your experience does not match with the actual statistics. Here is a good capstone on the subject, the majority of all officers are commissioned via the Academy, NROTC or OCS. However, some of those OCS types are enlisted folks being commissioned through various programs. Now which is easier to get into, I don't know. STA-21 is a fantastic program for sure, I've sat on many boards for sailors, excellent sailors, who wanted that program. Good luck to you and I hope you get it.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA479949

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member

STA-21 is dying (based on a giant board of CAPTs when I was in RI for the Naval Science Institute). I am currently in the STA-21 program selected for Pilot. This year they only selected 75 applicants and more than half were nukes, so don't count on STA-21 to be around for much longer and the chances of getting selected is even harder. As a Chief with lots of experience and awards, it was tough for me to get in. By all means, put your package in and don't stop until you get selected, just realize it is getting tougher and tougher. Us STA-21 folk cost the Navy a TON of money, especially when they pay me E7 pay to sit in a classroom in civilian clothes! :beer:

Edit: To the OP, the Navy or any tough branch is getting hard to get into. I am not sure the process, but the goal is to make yourself look better than the rest. Hit the books and get the best possible scores. I am not sure if you get to have recommendation, but if you can, those should be amazing also. Good Luck!

Last edited:

USMC53CHIEF

Established Member
July 1st was my last day... 7 years enlisted in the Marine Corps... I put my reenlistment pkg in, but there were no boat spaces... so I got out at my 5 year mark and went reserve up at JRB NAS Willow Grove.... Put in a Commissioning Pkg and holy crap I was accepted for the PLC program lol. I went to OCS last July, had a great time, was doing very well and then I blew my knee out. Now on to bigger and better things... I went in with a flight contract because I already have 1200 hours crewing a 53e.. ASTB wasnt too bad but I kinda had a lot of "On the Job Training" Lol

Users who are viewing this thread