Any new info on the 2.9l whipple installed on a 11-14?

nate-roth

Established Member
That bright yellow/green looks great. Props to Whipple for making this kit, there are a lot of advantages to front inlet blower with a large inlet unlike the Maggy and Edlebrock units.

Robbie Ellis

Established Member
Maybe I missed it but got dyno charts?

Here are some dyno graphs. Stage 1 is with the stock TB, 3.875" SC Pulley. Stage 2 is still with the stock TB, fuel pump booster, and 3.75" SC pulley. Stage 3 adds the 132mm TB and still running the fuel pump booster and 3.75" SC pulley. All 3 of these pulls were done with a 100% stock motor, drivetrain, and exhaust. The car is a 6M.

w9iC1lW.jpg

stags

Established Member
*jaw hits floor*

Long flat torque after 3500 rpm. Linear hp. Avoids all pitfalls of turbos and centris. Dear lord I want

Famine

Established Member
Shoot me a PM. I can definitely make you a set. :beer:

How much would you charge for a single supercharged one for me to add to my strut tower brace when the time comes?

Edit: I guess they probably wouldn't fit there come to think of it. How about a pair for how you did then?

Last edited:

rustang1

Established Member
Here are some dyno graphs. Stage 1 is with the stock TB, 3.875" SC Pulley. Stage 2 is still with the stock TB, fuel pump booster, and 3.75" SC pulley. Stage 3 adds the 132mm TB and still running the fuel pump booster and 3.75" SC pulley. All 3 of these pulls were done with a 100% stock motor, drivetrain, and exhaust. The car is a 6M.

w9iC1lW.jpg

In can't read the graph on either of my computers.

Are the complete kits tuned by Whipple?

Deltan

Established Member
Well, so far it has been a total blast to drive. As for the reliability of this on a daily, only time will tell. I have already put about 1,000 miles on it since I picked it up, and no issues whatsoever. The drivability of this kit is incredible. When you are just driving around normally, the only way you can tell its even supercharged is the very light "whistle" you get from the rotors. You can barely hear it. With your foot out of the throttle, this literally drives no different than a stock car would. I had a coworker ride with me to lunch one day, and he didn't even know it was supercharged. The only reason he found out was because he was asking why my fans were so loud. The dual electric fans on the heat exchanger are fairly loud, but again, its not a huge deal. So I was explaining to him what they were for and he had no idea how much power it had. So I showed him on the way back to work.

As for reliability, it also comes down to how you drive the car. If you are constantly beating the shit out of it on the street, you're going to increase the wear and tear on the car. Blown or not blown. I wouldn't stray away from this kit at all if you are considering it, and are concerned about daily driving your car. I daily mine, and have no issues at all. Even the gas mileage. I mean, sure, the gas mileage isn't as good as it was before, but surprisingly isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Besides, let's be honest, if you are driving a GT, and are considering a supercharger, gas mileage isn't at the top of your list of concerns.

Whipple has done an incredible job with this kit. From its ability to drive around like a stock car when out of the throttle, to making a serious amount of power when you mash the pedal, this kit is definitely worth looking into. For what its worth, I am still running the stock DS as well as the stock clutch. Granted, the DS will be getting swapped out soon, but for the clutch, I'm going to ride it out for a while to see how it does. Also, this is all on a stock block. I think its worth noting that my car is primarily a street car, but I do plan to take it to some track events as well. I think the stock block should have no problem holding up to this for a while. I meticulously maintain my car as well, which will play a big role in how long the stock bottom end decides to handle this much power, along with how hard and how often I beat on the car. So far, everything has been totally fine, and I wouldn't say I am exactly easy on it.

That high vis yellow, while not for me is a fantastic colour, nice choice!
Would you say the Heat Exchanger is a necessary accessory? It's not particularly hot in my climate to begin with, but if it reduces wear and matters, it seems like a worthwhile upgrade (though you'd think they'd build it into the price if it mattered?)
Did you opt for a larger throttle body?

It sounds like you have similar driving habits as me, that is good to know: mostly street, some track.

My only concern is long term reliability. I understand the difference between banging the shit out of something (heavy track use, consecutive runs on the drag strip) vs. spirited weekend driving. I always ask about long term reliability and 1000 miles is not what I have in mind. One day I hope to find someone who has 100k miles and says, "yep, nothing major!"

The other thing about reliability is that I want to minimize "modification creep." Install the blower, upgrade cooling and done. I rather not have to do rods/pistons on my stock GT with extra power. This is why I ask what power is safe.

I am surprised that it has no whine. It looks like a good system, but close to $8k before install is getting steep.

But it is good news to hear that if you are not mashing the throttle around town then you feel no difference. I have been flip flopping between a turbo, certri, or TVS style for 6 months now.

And gas milelage? HAHAHAHA.

:read:

This sums up my issues/concerns too. I'm ready to commit to a Stage 2, 2.9L Whipple, it would be devastating to install one and find myself replacing parts after 10K miles. I'm prepared to replace a drive shaft or clutch, engine damage or wearing out/breaking other components I don't yet know about is what scares me away so far.

Rex Racer

Established Member
In can't read the graph on either of my computers.

Are the complete kits tuned by Whipple?

They are hard to read. The SC1 is just a hair below 600HP at what I think is 7300 RPM. And this is why I brought it up earlier. I spoke to Brenspeed and 710HP Corvette Killer package is less expensive than Whipple's SC1.

I do get that with Whipple's system there is more "room to grow", but I do not think Whipple's system is for me. Meaning, it is more expensive and since I want to stay away from having to do no more than blower+radiator+heat exchanger for weekend driving and occasional track, it beyond my goals.

Unless there is such a performance difference where the price of Brenspeed Roush blower + radiator + heat exchanger is required to meet the performance of Whipple's SC1 with no additional cooling then ok. Let's talk.

Someone, someday needs to spend some money and run a decent experiment. If I ever win the lottery, I am going to open my own performance shop and run comparison tests. Minimum 3 cars, 3 runs each for multiple systems (turbo, centri, blower) in a controlled environment. Enough of this marketing crap.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Some ET slips would be nice... Especially from an automatic car to compare apples to apples to the Roush/VMP 2.3 TVS

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
That high vis yellow, while not for me is a fantastic colour, nice choice!
Would you say the Heat Exchanger is a necessary accessory? It's not particularly hot in my climate to begin with, but if it reduces wear and matters, it seems like a worthwhile upgrade (though you'd think they'd build it into the price if it mattered?)

:read:

This sums up my issues/concerns too. I'm ready to commit to a Stage 2, 2.9L Whipple, it would be devastating to install one and find myself replacing parts after 10K miles. I'm prepared to replace a drive shaft or clutch, engine damage or wearing out/breaking other components I don't yet know about is what scares me away so far.

1.) YES get heat exchanger, ran a 2.1 Kenne Bell on a 2V GT it got HOT! with a heat exchanger. Definatly get it, helps IAT and can reduce detonation from poor fuel which will lead directly into your second question about motor components.

2.) As mentioned early on if you worry about engine failure, get a Boss manifold and exhaust I hear their fun. Even on a Stage 1 kit you could blow apart your motor with neglect and poor driving skill coupled with abusive driving.
Now that being said the same set-up could last for years if you respect it, and any engine can fail at any power level under the "right" conditions

Do you want 600rwhp for five seconds or do you want it for five+ years

Robbie Ellis

Established Member
Bump... @Robbie Ellis any thoughts/ updates?

There's honestly not much to update on just yet. I'm still daily driving the car, and still have not had a single issue with any aspect of the kit.

I still have yet to run it down the 1/4 for some times, but to be 100% honest, I don't even know if I'm the right person to be posting my results and then having everyone use my numbers as a comparison point. I have only made probably 4-5 passes at the strip, and that was with my last car which was a completely different car. 3v, NA, axleback mufflers, and that was it. Even then, I wouldn't consider myself a "good track driver". I am a good driver, but on a race track, its completely different. I still have a lot to learn. I would definitely be down to let someone do a pass with my car that has a ton of seat time and see what it will put down. But if I were to do a pass, with my level of experience, it probably wouldn't be what a lot of people are expecting. That's why when everyone puts so much weight on ET's, I kinda stay away from the conversation. I definitely don't pretend to be a badass when it comes to racing my car, as I haven't really had a chance to do it. Everyone knows that you can have 1,000hp and if you don't know how to drive it properly or set the car up properly, it does no good. I would say to get an accurate comparison, you definitely need to have the same driver driving different cars that are serup similarly, except for the power adder of course. Probably all automatics. My car is a 6M, so that is another variable as well. I consider myself a good driver, with a good grasp on the fundamentals. However, as good as that sounds on paper, actually putting it into practice takes some patience to get good. I like being as transparent as possible when people ask me questions about my setup, because its only fair.

I say all that to say this: If you're considering buying a kit based on what track times it puts down, that's not completely the way to look at buying a kit. I'm not saying any of you are, but this past weekend at a show I had a guy literally tell me that. He asked what the car did in the 1/4, and I said I had no idea. Then told me all about his buddy's VMP car that was doing insane times, and he was thinking of buying the VMP kit based solely on that. To each their own, but there are lots of factors that go into making a car fast. Every one of you know what you are comfortable paying. Of course, that's all relative as any kit in these price ranges may not classify as a "comfortable" purchase for some people. haha. If you're worried about blowing your motor, that's a risk you are taking with any kit. I can say that my car is tuned very conservatively, and again, the numbers on that dyno sheet are with the exhaust 100% stock. With a better flowing setup (LTH, O/R X-pipe, catback) and a smaller pulley, this kit will make some serious power, and be reliable while doing it. I would love to run a setup like that, but being in CA, its not exactly the best idea. I have since installed the Magnaflow x-pipe as well the GT500 catback system, and still running 10 lbs of boost. From what I understand, with the new better flowing exhaust, since there isn't as much back pressure, I will have lost a little bit of boost. So with a smaller pulley to bring the boost back up, the setup should make a bit more power than it did before. The goal in the near future is to do just that, re-tune the car with the new exhaust and pulley, install a new 1-piece DS, and make some passes. I have heard its a good idea to weld up the axle tubes, and may look into doing that as well. For now, I'll probably be doing the first few passes on street tires, and as I get more comfortable on the track, eventually put some big tires in the back. I can assure you as soon as I have any times at all, I will post them up, of course with a very big asterisk next to the times haha.

I can't say anything about the VMP kit as I have never run that kit, but I can tell you for sure that this Whipple has been a great kit to own. It's been incredibly reliable and has not given me a single issue yet, and I daily the car. As soon as I go get any sort of updates as far as new numbers with the exhaust and pulley, or any track times, I will for sure post them in here.

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
If you get a do wild hair, turn on track apps and let us know what the "butt dyno assistant" says. :D

Rex Racer

Established Member
When I talk to Brenspeed, they state that they consider drive-ability with their tune and just do not go for the big numbers. I get the same line from VMP.

I think that is a reasonable approach. I want extra power, but I want drive-ability and reliability along with it especially since I am not going to beat the snot out of the car on the track.

I am looking at the VMP kit with long tail plans for a one-piece DS, and light weight wheels from Forgestar.

I should be happy after that.

RIPN

Established Member
Hell yea you will be happy! I was thinking DSS one piece, but after looking around for some time.....I don't think it's nessecary. Sure it will help a taddddddd bit! But not needed for launching at the strip, nor axles as well! I went with DSS one piece and axles on my 10' 3v before I launched with a Paxton setup. But these coyotes have a pretty damn good platform from what I have been seeing! Just my 2 cents before you go crazy.
-Ben

i would spend that money on a MGW race spec shifter, ss clutch line, clutch and fly if possible. Def doing those before. * didn't see your automatic*

Last edited:

Rick14

Established Member
Swap out a 2.3l 624 set up

I could, but I won't to avoid any kind of licensing issues with Ford. They frown upon people doing stuff like that.

I am just curious, sounds like a great new set-up. Is this just a simple swap out. I already have the accompanying mods. See my signature. Maybe need larger injectors. Still on stock motor

Users who are viewing this thread