Any new info on the 2.9l whipple installed on a 11-14?

Rex Racer

Established Member
Did you not watch the dyno video? It most definitely seems like it has more whine than a Roush/VMP TVS. My VMP doesn't even whine anywhere near as this does.... Which I am kind of jealous of.

I didn't read the reply correctly; it drives like stock when driving around town.

Anyway, the cost of the system makes me interested in understanding what the differences are with the $7500 for the base kit while Brenspeed offers their 710HP Roush TVS "Corvette Killer" package for $7000.

If I am not the target demographic, that's understandable.

Famine

Established Member
^^^I wondered the same thing; I think it's the name. I know this is a bigger unit; however, while it may be a newb question, this blower probably doesn't implement the twin vortices setup correct? I do like that you can actually hear the blower. It's the only whining I want my ears to behold.

Are they going to have an option to have the blower in whatever color you want?

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
If you can get one in deep impact blue to match my car, along with DIB coil covers (and that setup can fit the GT/CS easily without losing my fogs, and it fits or someone makes a strut tower brace it will fit under) it will be very difficult to keep my bank accounts from springing a leak.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Reliability is kinda like the gas mileage comments... Don't wanna blow ur motor don't mod. < don't mod then u have a slow mustang that gets beat by everything, most of these power adders are all gonna have the same reliability & maintence. Don't wast 2-3 years debating on "reliable" power, u have the cash, go buy the Whipple and be happy. U should be more concerned about fuel quality & who's tuning than this kit.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Reliability is kinda like the gas mileage comments... Don't wanna blow ur motor don't mod. < don't mod then u have a slow mustang that gets beat by everything, most of these power adders are all gonna have the same reliability & maintence. Don't wast 2-3 years debating on "reliable" power, u have the cash, go buy the Whipple and be happy. U should be more concerned about fuel quality & who's tuning than this kit.

Well said. If you're concerned about MPG's you most likely shouldn't be purchasing a supercharger kit or an 8cyl muscle car for that matter.

Famine

Established Member

Not really. I'm wondering because this is a 2.9l vs a 2.3 which is its competition. If it's feasible in terms of reliability the same as the tvs, then I would go this route, but if not, maybe it's not worth it. I drive my 5.0 less than 1000 miles a year if that but would like to get in it when I want and not worry too much. I plan on the Aluminator down the road but I would like it to be on my terms.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Not really. I'm wondering because this is a 2.9l vs a 2.3 which is its competition. If it's feasible in terms of reliability the same as the tvs, then I would go this route, but if not, maybe it's not worth it. I drive my 5.0 less than 1000 miles a year if that but would like to get in it when I want and not worry too much. I plan on the Aluminator down the road but I would like it to be on my terms.

The 2.9 Whip will have more room to grow. The 2.3 VMP is nice but it's not a 2.9 period. Both are gonna be identical for reliability, remember ur throwing sub 15lbs of boost into ur motor, the 2.9 doesn't start "working" until aluminator power levels and even then it's gonna last u many years and 10000's of miles! I have a friend putting a front load 2.9 Whip on his 6.2 truck, Lund tuning it and will be done in a matter of days. Perfect fit, perfect finish, perfect power adder that's not tapped out the second u install it unlike a lot of blowers out there *cough cough* stock motor with OPG's should be able to hold 700+rwhp for a good while on this 2.9 whip as long as the tune is perfect and ur fuel quality is good. I had a buddy push his 13 coyote 20,000+ miles with a ON3 and anywhere from 12-15lbs of boost shoved down the throat, finally decided to go aluminator.

U honestly won't find a more simple, easy to use, portent blower than this 2.9 whip for a stock or aluminator motor. If u want a bigger blower than a 2.9 u will need a sleeved motor period. I did Turbo on my motor and so did my buddy, we both had "turbo is more complex" issues at one point or another and often he regrets it and wished he would have just did a blower like a Whipple.

If I ever buy a 15 mustang for road trips then I'd buy a 2.9 Whipple and call it a day that's how confident I am in them over Turbos, Paxton's, VMP. That's my 2 cents, so enjoy and take what u will from it.

Rex Racer

Established Member
^^^I wondered the same thing; I think it's the name. I know this is a bigger unit; however, while it may be a newb question, this blower probably doesn't implement the twin vortices setup correct? I do like that you can actually hear the blower. It's the only whining I want my ears to behold.

I called Whipple yesterday, and the big game changer with their unit is that they are able to get more power at lower boost levels by keeping the inlet air cooler in their design. Also, reading their webpage it looks like they did some serious engineering with the rotors in the supercharger.

I have to do some more thinking now. The Whipple SC1 kit gets 597HP at the wheels and is $7300. The Brenspeed 650HP kit would presumable get similar ratings at the wheels and is $6600. Both with no tuner because I already have one. :)

I mean, that's $700 I could use toward install.

Since this is my daily driver, that is why I ask if motor reliability is a big concern. Nobody, and I mean nobody has any data. It's all feeling and anecdotal. So even though the Whipple kit has less boost -- less pressure, but reliability for either kit is not a big deal then I'll get the Brenspeed. They charge $1400 for install if you take it to them.

Famine

Established Member
I called Whipple yesterday, and the big game changer with their unit is that they are able to get more power at lower boost levels by keeping the inlet air cooler in their design. Also, reading their webpage it looks like they did some serious engineering with the rotors in the supercharger.

I have to do some more thinking now. The Whipple SC1 kit gets 597HP at the wheels and is $7300. The Brenspeed 650HP kit would presumable get similar ratings at the wheels and is $6600. Both with no tuner because I already have one. :)

Since this is my daily driver, that is why I ask if motor reliability is a big concern. Nobody, and I mean nobody has any data. It's all feeling and anecdotal. So even though the Whipple kit has less boost -- less pressure, but reliability for either kit is not a big deal then I'll get the Brenspeed. They charge $1400 for install if you take it to them.

The 650r is the kit I installed on my last 5.0. You don't need to pay for labor, it's easy.

Robbie Ellis

Established Member

It sounds like you really need to decide on what your long term goals are. Keep in mind that everyone will "get used to" any additional power they have, and eventually want more. If you think you would fall under that category, I would for sure go with the Whipple as you have tons more room to grow down the road, should you decide you want it.

Of course, I am biased since I already have the kit, but with 639 at the wheels before the exhaust was installed, sometimes when I punch it I find myself being used to it now, and sometimes think, "Maybe I could use a liiittle more boost". Of course I know I'm being ridiculous because that's already a lot of power for a street car, but that's what makes this whole thing fun. Some day down the road, if you think you are going to want to squeeze out more power, look at which of these 2 kits you are considering are going to give you more "growing room". The Whipple wins here, hands down.

Robbie Ellis

Established Member

They already do have that option. You can literally get this blower in whatever color you want. You can check out Prismatic Powder's site, and go through all their colors. The options are endless. I use a local powder coater, and the neon yellow they have was exactly what I was looking for, so Whipple even ordered the powder from the same place my local powder coater does, so that way any parts I powder coat in the future match the blower. Which works out well, because I ended up machining some custom coil pack cover inserts. Designed them in Solidworks, then loaded them into Mastercam to program them, then machined them, powder coated them, then hand painted the lettering:

Nu3swO2.jpg

n76ZgOR.jpg

oQeqtC9.jpg

Reelslp.jpg

REkorrO.jpg

27Avqxw.jpg

1J3YBGA.jpg

omFXIDw.jpg

FU7A4Nu.jpg

cFqqYbj.jpg

qCml6Xr.jpg

stags

Established Member
I'm guessing no strut tower brace will fit over her?

God that's gorgeous. Wonder what the feasibility is like for road course

Rex Racer

Established Member
It sounds like you really need to decide on what your long term goals are. Keep in mind that everyone will "get used to" any additional power they have, and eventually want more. If you think you would fall under that category, I would for sure go with the Whipple as you have tons more room to grow down the road, should you decide you want it.

Of course, I am biased since I already have the kit, but with 639 at the wheels before the exhaust was installed, sometimes when I punch it I find myself being used to it now, and sometimes think, "Maybe I could use a liiittle more boost". Of course I know I'm being ridiculous because that's already a lot of power for a street car, but that's what makes this whole thing fun. Some day down the road, if you think you are going to want to squeeze out more power, look at which of these 2 kits you are considering are going to give you more "growing room". The Whipple wins here, hands down.

I don't doubt that one gets used to the power. My previous car was a Civic, before that it was a Saturn SC1. When I first drove the stock 5.0 it "felt" like it just wanted to go. After about 2 years the experience was more subdued, then I got a tune and I could feel the extra power again. Let's face it, Ford's stock tune sucked anyway.

So having more room to grow (I hear this a lot with a turbo) is nice, but I will return to my original question. I can have all the power I want, but will it be safe for a stock motor. Certainly, there is a point where I would need forged internals?

And I have a convertible, and I was told that I cannot go to the strip anyway without a roll cage. 600 HP sounds plenty to catch people off guard when I feel like it.

Redline8k

Established Member
curious can you keep your fogs with this kit? I really like my fog lights in the grill, but if not I guess 600+hp can change my mind...lol

KPatrone

Established Member
They already do have that option. You can literally get this blower in whatever color you want. You can check out Prismatic Powder's site, and go through all their colors. The options are endless. I use a local powder coater, and the neon yellow they have was exactly what I was looking for, so Whipple even ordered the powder from the same place my local powder coater does, so that way any parts I powder coat in the future match the blower. Which works out well, because I ended up machining some custom coil pack cover inserts. Designed them in Solidworks, then loaded them into Mastercam to program them, then machined them, powder coated them, then hand painted the lettering:

Nu3swO2.jpg

n76ZgOR.jpg

oQeqtC9.jpg

Reelslp.jpg

REkorrO.jpg

27Avqxw.jpg

1J3YBGA.jpg

omFXIDw.jpg

FU7A4Nu.jpg

cFqqYbj.jpg

qCml6Xr.jpg
Good god that is some gorgeous engine bay eye candy! You should run off a few more of those covers and sell them to the less fortunate ones that don't have those mad machining skills

Robbie Ellis

Established Member
Good god that is some gorgeous engine bay eye candy! You should run off a few more of those covers and sell them to the less fortunate ones that don't have those mad machining skills

Thanks! I actually made an additional set for that exact reason. haha

Robbie Ellis

Established Member
curious can you keep your fogs with this kit? I really like my fog lights in the grill, but if not I guess 600+hp can change my mind...lol

Yeah, you can keep your fogs. I just got rid of mine to go with a wide open grille.

101blur

Established Member
Wow your engine bay is sick well done. I really would love to have one of these but just have a really hard time with that 9k price tag yikes.
but man it looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread