Any paint guys in here, painting new bumper

Kartracer

Established Member
Hi, I am painting a new front bumper, I applied a few coats and have sanded that down so its nice and smooth, getting ready to apply final coat of paint and then clear. Once I have applied the final coat do I let dry and wet sand before applying clear, or do I apply clear while final coat is drying? I have heard both ways.

I appreciate your help.

danponjican

Established Member
You are always going to get the best adhesion if you apply your basecoats while the previous coat is still "tacky". This applies for your clear as well. Apply it while the last (heavy) coat of base is still tacky.

The paint that you are using should have a spec sheet that tells you the optimal times for all of this.

highdensity007

Best wifey EVAR!
Established Member
You are always going to get the best adhesion if you apply your basecoats while the previous coat is still "tacky". This applies for your clear as well. Apply it while the last (heavy) coat of base is still tacky.

The paint that you are using should have a spec sheet that tells you the optimal times for all of this.

^ this

crazycarlo

Established Member
Yep the sheets will list the flash times or whatever they call it. basically it says to let it tack up for a certain amount of time before you apply the next coat and then says do not let it sit there for another number of time before you apply so example. It might say to let the paint tack for 4 hrs before you apply the clear but dont let the paint sit for over 24 hrs without applying clear.

As with most other stuff its all in the prep work. Make sure your primer has been sanded and smooth. Just a little body filler if you have to. Also since its a flexible bumper you might have to add something to the paint to get it to flex or you might find that the paint will crack when the bumper flexes.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member

yes check the paint manufacturer. some are wet on wet, some say flash for x number of minutes. What paint are you spraying?

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Are you using a rattle can or spray gun. If using a rattle paint I highly suggest getting 2K cans, especially for the clear! Spraymax 2K clear is top notch for rattle can clears.

Users who are viewing this thread