Any shifter bracket that doesn't add NVH?

2012ingot

Established Member
I added the Barton 2 post bracket to my stock shifter. Eliminated the 2-3 shift and I haven't noticed any increase in NVH.

86merc

Established Member
If you heard that much noise from an MGW, even with the older bracket, chances are it was installed incorrectly. I've seen it a few times and it's typically the boot MGW includes in their kit that's not installed properly.

They were not in my car and I did not install the shifters. So I can not comment on the install. But I drove three different cars and they were all about the same. One guy I know re installed it per MGW and even added more sound deadening, Teflon tape on the threads of the shifter ball, sound deadening under the bracket and so on. That person actually sold the shifter here on SVTP. There are many that are happy with the shifter. Some people have said it is louder and notchy but they deal with it because it "comes with the territory". And others say it is loud and don't like it. To each their own.

We have been back and forth about this in other threads. One of the original threads MGW posted in them offering suggestions. They have made changes to the shifters trying to make a better product. Which I commend them for doing. I would love to drive another car that had a MGW that is smooth and quiet. But I have not had that opportunity.

87hatchy

Established Member
some of you guys are a bunch of sissys. "Oh no my 400+hp V8 muscle car makes some noise what shall I do?! My life is forever ruined!" Go buy a Prius

87hatchy

Established Member
In all seriousness, what do you people expect? The car is not meant to be a luxury car from the factory. It's meant to be raw, brutal, powerful. And although the 2011+ cars are always noted for being very well refined compared to older mustangs, its still not a mercedes/bmw/whatever. ESPECIALLY when you start modding it. There's always a tradeoff. You're not going to get better performance AND reduced noise/better comfort/etc.

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
In all seriousness, what do you people expect? The car is not meant to be a luxury car from the factory. It's meant to be raw, brutal, powerful. And although the 2011+ cars are always noted for being very well refined compared to older mustangs, its still not a mercedes/bmw/whatever. ESPECIALLY when you start modding it. There's always a tradeoff. You're not going to get better performance AND reduced noise/better comfort/etc.

It's not meant to be raw. U want raw, buy a 60's model.

ViciousJay

Established Member
TBH i think i finally need a shifter, the stock has too much play in it even with the 2 post. might be looking into a JHR/UPR.

the stocker twists too much for my liking now

rdplain

Established Member
I used the Energy Suspension urethane bushing to replace the stock POS rubber. No NVH at all and I don't miss 3rd at high RPM's any more. It's still the stock shifter, but better.

This!

for under $15 it was worth a shot IMO, no regrets here.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
TBH i think i finally need a shifter, the stock has too much play in it even with the 2 post. might be looking into a JHR/UPR.the stocker twists too much for my liking now
Keep me informed on your findings....
Why are you not going with the MGW like the rest of the bandwagon?

kingnut

Established Member

i couldnt disagree more. this isnt the 80's and 90's where you have to sacrifice comfort and quietness for power and handling. look at whitelines product line kicking ass with little no added NVH. we are in a completely different age of engineering than even 5 years ago. there is no reason your car has to sound like an old beat up POS to be faster and handle better these days.

It's not meant to be raw. U want raw, buy a 60's model.

qft

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
Personally I like alittle feeling to the car. You cant get as connected to the car as you could with say a fox body. With the electric assist steering, antilock brakes and bushings softening everything on the new cars you feel disconnected. Go drive a Ferrari 360 modena. Then ask about how harsh a shifter feels. You can feel the syncros everytime you shift.
And yes I rented one in Miami. So I know.

87hatchy

Established Member
i couldnt disagree more. this isnt the 80's and 90's where you have to sacrifice comfort and quietness for power and handling. look at whitelines product line kicking ass with little no added NVH. we are in a completely different age of engineering than even 5 years ago. there is no reason your car has to sound like an old beat up POS to be faster and handle better these days.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think that we each have different situations in mind when deciding on where we stand on the issue.

I was talking about the people complaining about a *little* NVH added with something like a shifter bracket. And in those situations, I still have the same opinion - Get over it. Its a muscle car, not a luxury car. You're modding it for performance, that's what you get in return.

What I am NOT talking about is having a brand new 2011+ car that rides like an Oregon Trail wagon with wooden wheels and no suspension. I would be upset if my car felt like that too.

Users who are viewing this thread