Any shifter bracket that doesn't add NVH?

kingnut

Established Member
had it and ditched, its too notchy for me. i think 20-30% is perfect but 40 seems a bit much. Plus it was noiser then hell

mgw says their SS is 25% reduction. the barton is 40%. i havent heard many people say the MGW was really loud. what you got now?

ViciousJay

Established Member
mgw says their SS is 25% reduction. the barton is 40%. i havent heard many people say the MGW was really loud. what you got now?

stock shifter and a barton two post bracket. Looking for a UPR/JHR shifter soon. Are you sure King that its 25% i remember it being way more then 25% cuz it was notchy as all hell. Worse then my cobra

86merc

Established Member
Ya, most shifters are a 20-25% reduction. That is the max you can get with out having a issue with the left to right gates being too short to reach. Only the Barton can add more because of it's dual pivot trunnion.

I liked my SR shifter and Steeda bracket. It was smooth and had less deflection than the stock bracket of course. But the SR was sub par quality. I am sure a Steeda or JHR shifter will be made with better materials and be machined better.

kingnut

Established Member
stock shifter and a barton two post bracket. Looking for a UPR/JHR shifter soon. Are you sure King that its 25% i remember it being way more then 25% cuz it was notchy as all hell. Worse then my cobra

yeah mgw is 25%. i kept asking george if they would make a shorter throw SS and he said no.

ViciousJay

Established Member
i might be looking back at a MGW, after seeing i someone's shifter on here break right in half that got me scared a bit but then again that happened due to him trying to drop the trans right?

kingnut

Established Member
jay did you see the thread sid released about MGW coming with different bushings now to dampen NVH.

86merc

Established Member
Ya. that was pure abuse. He tried to move the trans with out unbolting the shifter. The bushing is only going to give so much. Once you reach that point something else has to give.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I did not read through this thread and I dont know if it was mentioned or not but get a MGW shifter.

/thread

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
Well my steeda shows up today from LMR. Excited to get this thing in and report my findings. Going to use the red bushing. Can't wait to see how it feels.

mhyjek

Established Member
Took my car with the barton 2 post and factory shifter yesterday very little nvh but can shift 2 to third like a pro. The throw on the factory manual is fine for now but if I see a deal on mgw or barton might be tempted... Good luck on the install with the steeda and report back how you like it.

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
Well, that was one of the easiest 15-minute installs I have done. Very simple and straight forward. I used the red bushing and MAN, what a difference. I HAVE FOUND 3RD GEAR! No joke, I have never hit 3rd so hard in this car since it was so difficult to find. The shifter performs as expected now. With the combination of the Steeda bracket and my 401A shifter, I am 100% satisfied. Money well spent and mission accomplished. Normal driving, you couldn't tell anything was done with the exception of the slightly firmer feel.

65sohc

Established Member
Well, that was one of the easiest 15-minute installs I have done. Very simple and straight forward. I used the red bushing and MAN, what a difference. I HAVE FOUND 3RD GEAR! No joke, I have never hit 3rd so hard in this car since it was so difficult to find. The shifter performs as expected now. With the combination of the Steeda bracket and my 401A shifter, I am 100% satisfied. Money well spent and mission accomplished. Normal driving, you couldn't tell anything was done with the exception of the slightly firmer feel.
You must have had your car on a lift because I tried installing the red bushing lying on my back and there was NO WAY unless there is some magic technique that I couldn't figure out. I ended up using the black bushing which works fine.

AZCobraCMDR

Established Member
You must have had your car on a lift because I tried installing the red bushing lying on my back and there was NO WAY unless there is some magic technique that I couldn't figure out. I ended up using the black bushing which works fine.

Just a tall jack actually and a jack stand for safety. Basically, I installed it sideways, putting on the small end as much as I could then using the leverage of the big end I was able to squeeze it over. Once it was on past the lip I turned it until it was properly seated in the groove. Then I pushed the assembly up and slid on the aluminum frame. Was a little PITA but not too bad. I almost thought about slicing the red bushing in the same manner the black one is sliced. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread