any suggestions for removing wheel locks?

SSThunder

Established Member
My 2008 Shelby didn't come with the wheel lock key. I called a dealership to see if I can order a key but they said since I didn't have the book that came with the card which has the wheel lock key card, I could not get one. They said they could look at the wheels and give me an estimate to remove them. I'm sure it will be an arm and a leg since it's a dealership. What would you guys do?

Would anybody let me borrow their key lock to remove the wheel lock? I'd pay for the shipping and a reasonable usage fee. I assume all 2008 Shelby GT500 use the same wheel locks.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Not all keys are the same. You have to know your specific key code. I'd contact McGard and see what they suggest.

From their website:

What should I do if I lost my McGard ID Registration Card and need a replacement part?

If you have misplaced your McGard ID Registration Card which was included with your lock set when originally purchased, check in your vehicle glove compartment as this is the most common place for the I.D. Card/Sticker to be stored. If you are unable to locate the I.D. card/sticker, please contact McGard Customer Service during normal business hours Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm EST at 1-800-444-5847 for further assistance.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
I've not personally done it - but lots of guys swear you can pound a deep socket (of the appropriate size) onto the lock and then loosen the socket off the stud.

SSThunder

Established Member
Not all keys are the same. You have to know your specific key code. I'd contact McGard and see what they suggest.

From their website:

What should I do if I lost my McGard ID Registration Card and need a replacement part?

If you have misplaced your McGard ID Registration Card which was included with your lock set when originally purchased, check in your vehicle glove compartment as this is the most common place for the I.D. Card/Sticker to be stored. If you are unable to locate the I.D. card/sticker, please contact McGard Customer Service during normal business hours Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm EST at 1-800-444-5847 for further assistance.

I'll give them a call. There isn't a sticker in the glove box

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you looked through the trunk? Checked the spare tire well? I don't know why someone would discard something like that.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I've not personally done it - but lots of guys swear you can pound a deep socket (of the appropriate size) onto the lock and then loosen the socket off the stud.

Yes, a 12 point socket, not a 6 point.

A slightly smaller socket will pound over the diameter of the lock and grip it while you use a ratchet or breaker bar (or air gun) to remove the lock.

A 1/2" drive will work best.

R

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Use a 17mm 12 point socket (or whatever size socket is one size smaller than the smallest one that actually slides over the lock) and hammer it over the lock. I usually use a Craftsman or Harbor Freight socket that I know I'll be able to get replaced if it cracks. I won't use my good Snap-On, Mac or Matco stuff for this for obvious reasons. I also use a medium extension so that I can get some stand off from the rim. It helps also to use a 12 point socket, they seem to bight a little better on the outside of the lock. CAREFULLY hammer the socket over the lock and then use a breaker bar and even consistent pressure to break the lock loose.
You'll need to put the socket in a vice and use something long and hard to put into the socket and hammer the lock out of it. I now have a mid length 17mm 12 point socket that I keep in my box specifically for this purpose.

2nd2none

Established Member
I know the Discount Tire shops in my area have an assortment of keys. Maybe try one in your area. If not, the socket trick works but most of the time you end up losing the socket on each lock so you might need 4 sockets to get them off all wheels

scotsam

Established Member
Albrightsville, Pennsylvania, United States
Snap-on or craftsman sell what they call a turbo socket. It has a reverse flute on the inside. You can hammer it on and spin them right off after that you put the nut in a vise and turn clockwise and it will come off. Everyone should have a set or 2.

TexasShelby

Established Member
Did you buy it from a dealer? If so, I'd make him replace the lock. That's ridiculous you have to go through this.
I'd call McGard.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
The socket trick works. I had to do it to my locks after I drove away from the strip with the dam key on the lug still. Was in a rush and just totally forgot that I left the key on. I will call and get a replacement key, but I did the trick to get my rear tires locks off so I could still swap to my DR's

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Never had to deal with this but couldn't you weld a socket to the lug nut then just remove it? If you need a set of lock nuts and the key I have mine from my 2008 that I'm no longer using. Cover shipping and ten bucks and they're yours.

Last edited:

Clemson

Established Member
Try a tire store or dealership, like mentioned previously - any reputable business will just do it for free.

SSThunder

Established Member
Here's a pic of my lug nut. Is this stock or aftermarket? GT500lugnut.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread