Any tips for installing JLT bezels?

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Hey everyone. I just received the JLT bezels the other day... I have the 2 1/4 inch holes drilled (which was a nerve-racking moment) and I cannot get the bezels to "snap in."

They are just a hair too large for the holes. I have tried freezing them, no luck. I tried trimming the holes slightly larger but to no avail. I understand the backs have to be slightly larger in order to hold them in place, but any tips?

Thanks.
:beer:

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Hmmm, I will give that a shot. I cannot actually get them to go in even a little... I will try perfectly lining one up and see if I can at least press it in a tad. Thanks!

DaFreak

Established Member
I used a giant C clamp (with some cloth padding between) to press and hold while the RTV dried.

cbrmuscle

Established Member
These holes simply are not large enough. I suppose I could try a 2 3/8 or 2 5/16 but I am not sure those would fit in the guides... The 2 1/4 was snug. And going too large would screw me. It seems like there is always something when I install non-Ford parts, lol.

Tucker

Smack them, that' s all that needs to be done.

I got a call yesterday from a guy who's Shelby bezels were falling out, we don't want that!

One good smack with a rubber mallet and they are in.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Get it figured out? Your car will look really similiar to mine when done. I have the actual shelby lower grille thats precut along with the shelby bezels. I'm curious to see how different the two look...

P1010137.jpg

todd383

Established Member
Hey everyone. I just received the JLT bezels the other day... I have the 2 1/4 inch holes drilled (which was a nerve-racking moment) and I cannot get the bezels to "snap in."

They are just a hair too large for the holes. I have tried freezing them, no luck. I tried trimming the holes slightly larger but to no avail. I understand the backs have to be slightly larger in order to hold them in place, but any tips?

Thanks.
:beer:
I took some 80 grit sand paper and slowly made the outer side of the hole larger, a little at a time, then i used a rubber mallet and with your hand behind the grille, smack it in. I did 4 cars already including mine. It will go in.

gr8snkbite

Established Member
No need to drill larger...if you look at the front of the grill, you should see pointed edges from cutting the holes. Those points tend to prevent it from snapping in. I simply used wire side cutters and nipped off some of the points little by little until I knew they would snap in. but they will snap in...

cbrmuscle

Established Member
Well, I did get them in! I did not think I would ever take a big friggin' hammer to the Shelby... But I suppose it is a car like any other! Luckily JLT makes quality products that withstand ~50 hits with a mallet! :beer:

Once I get her cleaned up I will post pics if any are interested.

5spd07gt... At a quick glance it would appear the Shelby ones are slightly thinner on the lip but a slight bit larger opening, if that makes sense.

Tucker, thanks for the quick board reply! This is my first experience with you guys but I am definitely impressed with the quality of materials you guys use. I installed the oil separators at the same time... They are really nice pieces! My bezels definitely won't be falling out any time soon :)

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
I've got the JLT brake duct kit, used a dremel tool to cut small holes in the grill. Didn't use the bezels. Fully functional, can't tell it's even there.
Stealth mode.

Considering adding the black bezels though... anyone have pictures?

Last edited:

cbrmuscle

Established Member
And yes... I knocked my left turn signal out without realizing it... It's back where it should be now ;)

Users who are viewing this thread