Any tips on the polygraph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobramike03

Established Member
Hey Leo's.

I just received three conditional offers in the last month and am awaiting polygraph testing for the next phase of the process. It will be the first one I ever take. Any words of wisdom so I can finalize this procedure and head to the academy in a few months?

Mustangbru8

Established Member
just tell the truth and eat some food before you go because you will be there a while. I was there about 5 hours.

red9450

Established Member
do they expect that you have never done anything illegal, or is it normal for you to have tried drugs and drank before you were of legal age. Things like that.

jshen

Established Member
My feeling is that the accuracy of the test depends on the "quality" of the examiner. Some are cool, calm and professional ..some, however, intimidate and cause false positives. The Feds are definitely better than the most state agencies..who are better than local PDs. That is why they have "limited" admissibility in court.

My advice is to relax and tell the truth.

cobramike03

Established Member
the only thing im hiding really is that i smoked pot when i was 18 like 3 years ago.... and i have stolen something of value from an employer....ne ideassssss

jshen

Established Member
the only thing im hiding really is that i smoked pot when i was 18 like 3 years ago.... and i have stolen something of value from an employer....ne ideassssss

Pot 3 years ago won't hurt you but the theft will. If you are applying to a govt job/LE agency you are in trouble.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
my ex must have lied through her teeth because somehow she got through :dw:
i know that she was involved in and i doubt they would have let it slide. im sure some people in the pre-academy coached her how to get through it. :rollseyes

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

Tell them about it. When I took my polygraph the examiner said that they aren't there to judge as much of what you have done, but instead that you be honest about it. It also is a very intense experience even if you are telling the truth. Just try and relax and tell them the truth.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

The Federal Guidelines are no use of marijuana in the last 3 years and not over 15 times in your life.

As far as theft from your employer, what were the items and their value and how long ago did it occur?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You should also do a search for "polygraph" this has been discussed in several threads

usmcrebel

Established Member
i work for the fed as a marine, and as a contractor. i know for a fact that there are people that i work with still smoke pot, and are doing drugs.... doesnt the polygraph only measure the stress, if so just stay calm, i could lie to my own mothers face and get away with it.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
It measures stress in different ways; arm/leg movement, blood pressure/heart rate, pores/skin actions, respiration...

Some people can beat it, but it's not all about staying calm when they ask you a single question. They ask you a series of questions that are intentionally planned to break/trick people into losing their concentration if they're trying to beat it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
i work for the fed as a marine, and as a contractor. i know for a fact that there are people that i work with still smoke pot, and are doing drugs.... doesnt the polygraph only measure the stress, if so just stay calm, i could lie to my own mothers face and get away with it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

you would get caught on a poly faster than most I would wager.

The first poly I ever took was a lifestyle poly. drugs, Gayness (this was well before the "are you gay" question was outlawed), finances, and the like. After that they concentrated on the counter intel matters, finances, and waste, fraud, and abuse of government resources. Questions on Drug use only came up if they had reason to suspect that you were using.

I could lie to my mothers face too and did all the time ... but the polygrapher showed me in one of my last tests that indeed it would catch a lie .. even when the lie made no difference to the outcome of the poly.

trying to beat a polygraph is an idiot's game.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
The last poly I took was administered by an FBI polygrapher. He was a specially trained agent who did these full time. It took four hours. He did a little mind game first to prove that it worked, by him guessing a number I was thinking of. It worked. And I passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread