any turbo pros?

matt lankford

all is sold
turbo questions, need professional help

i have 2 problems, 1st is that i have a 2003 cobra that isnt fast enough, 2nd is that i have more money than sense and i dont have much of either.

im gonna put the system that i have designed in my head for all to help with so i can hopefully take the path of least problems.

t72 turbo, single
in car boost adjuster
remove blower and IC and replace with avaitor intake
swap timing chain cover to 2001 setup so i can put the alternator back off of the 8 rib pulley setup, and remove the 8 rib stuff for more space.
remove all exaust to run single side exit setup
no cutting frame
55lb high impendence injectors with stock 03 pumps, fuel system kept returnless.
stock computer, no fast or gen7
front mount IC
800 rwhp??

i really dont want to drop 1400 bucks on a injector driver, 2500 on a dfi setup,

i already have a spec stage 3 clutch, the restof the driveline should hold it correct?

how much money do you think i will spend start to finish, tuned and rolling
:shrug: :shrug:

03DOHC

Established Member
How about keeping the intercooler system and have a sheet metal intake fabricated in place of the blower?

SVT 03 Cobra

your forgetting 1 very important thing Matt.... the IRS won't take 800 hp..... so don't forget the built 8.8 rear end!!!

matt lankford

all is sold
and to 03dohc, i think i would be pioneering enought with this, a traditional front mount would be fine, plus selling the eaton with the IC will double its value. i think i could get 2.2k out of the top end, belt system and timing chain cover with the pulleys

SVT 03 Cobra

Eaton is coming out with a 160... which is larger than the kenne bell... just a thought

......or matbe twin hair dryers? big ones :D

matt lankford

all is sold
you wont see 800 rwhp with a Kb unless your going banannas with boost, and a aggressive tune. so far what i have figured it would actually cost with in a grand or two of the KB as long as i can use the stock cpu and no injector driver. make better power on les boost and a lot less wear on the motor. plus you can go from stock to balls out with the twist of a knob. a turbo is where its at

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Where does the turbo go? In front or underneath the car?

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
go for it and see what happens... since you are the first no one can really answer the total cost of the project... to many variables involved.

If you have another reliable form of transportation besides the cobra and you are comfortable with doing it then I'd say do it.

Since you are the first you'll probably want to tripple your initial estimate on cost (or more)... lots of rehashing will be required i imaging after you first get it together.

matt lankford

all is sold
i have talked with a very reputable turbo company and they say they are interested in a deal like randy got, i pay parts, the do labor and tuning. takes 3 months. yes i have other transportation.. the 2 things they couldnt really answere are the injectors and the computer so thats what i need to figure out. its 4000 for the injector driver and dfi alone, i wont do it if i have to dfi

F8L SNK

Established Member
Not trying to burst a bubble, or even tell you not to do this.
It would be a very cool project, and would be unique.

But why go through that? I would keep to air to water ic, it will be much better for the street and track, make a custom upper intake to go onto the ic, you make a drive for the alternator cheap, keeping it where it is at. The development cost would be expensive, because truthfully, there will not be much of a market for a company to cut you a break by you letting them use your car for development of a production kit. (I have considered this, and even have access to one of the best fabricators, just not work it to ME)

The problem I see is, it is not cost effective. If you want a drag car, I personally wouldn't start with the 03. 800HP, flywheel or rear wheel is too much for the street, which means track car. I know you can turn the boost down easily, so that is an advantage!

If you are looking to have one of the quickest 03's you are definitely on the right track though, just try to re-utilize the intercooler setup, Ford did a good job with it.

Anyway, if you do do it, please post as many pics as possible, cause it will be cool.

matt lankford

all is sold
it will be much cheaper and proven to just do the avaitor intake. every thing has already been made for a 99-01 4v turbo setup, the 99-01 intake wont fit our heads though, so the real bitch would be jigging up the ic to the intake and tuning it. people are making well ove 1k rwhp with front mount intercoolers so that is how i will do it. the stock ic was designed for a 400 hp setup...

800 rwhp would be fun on the street. id turn it down to 500 rwhp im sure 99 % of the time, i think it would be tough to loose a street race though.

btw, the 01 timing chain cover is like 130 from ford.

matt lankford

all is sold
KB is 4k installed with the bells and wistles. you could sell the stock blower for 700 bucks. each pulley is around 80 bucks and belts are 40. so say 3900 after selling the stock blower and buying extra pulleys and such

the quote i got from that shop was 6-7k installed and tuned, i can sell the stock blower,injectors, front brace, pulleys, intercooler for at least 2200 on ebay. 4800-5800 net with no pulleys or belts to meszs with. it would be around 1-2k diffrence leaving in the extra money that this type of thing always costs.

i know i could get into 5.0 mag too :)

franklinz

Established Member
from my experience with my 240z, i can say that the only thing that will really cost you is the labor involved, and if any custom peices being made.
some of the costs for basic parts:
turbo - anywhere from 500-2000 depending on what you want, top speed and lag on the low end, or good response and little to no lag. your turbo manufacturer will set you up for what you want.
plumbing - 200 bucks
oil feed/coolant lines - i paid around 500 for everything in teflon
coated stainless steel with fitted ends. best security for you
turbo.
intercooler - 600-2000, see if theres a local import race shop
around town, ask for some used i/c's. youd be surprised at the
selection of japanese stock intercoolers that might fit your
application.
clamps/hoses - about 250 bucks
electronic boost controller - 600
turbo timer - 100 (nice piece if you want your turbo to live long)
fuel - im guessing you got that down
manifold - no idea! im guessing alot though
watching the smirk turn to a frown on a supra owners face.....
priceless.
thats really all i can think of right now. keep us posted with what your doing.
franklinz
i also forgot, if you are looking for a high output system and are worrying about lag. you can set up a staged nitrous system to where it will actually engage to help spool up your turbo in the lower end.

Last edited:

franklinz

Established Member
i live about 45 minutes south of austin, and there are some sick supras hanging around there.
i dont know if youve ever seen the vid of the "walser" supra kill a busa on the highway, but thats like one of many theyve got.
im really confused on what to get next, either an 03 cobra, used supra, or a 350z (and pray they have more aftermarket parts)

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Matt - Go with the turbo set-up! It would be SICK to see an '03 Cobra with a turbo! You would definately make a magazine with a turboed '03 Cobra.:idea:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Matt- definately go with the Turbo. I have the money to do it, but I am just not ready to go through with it because its my daily driver and if something serious goes wrong I would be without a car for alittle while. I would like to wait until someone comes out with a complete kit, but its not looking like anyone is coming out with anything soon. A turbo will make more power than a roots type or twin screw type supercharger, and does not put as much stress on the motor either. Keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Users who are viewing this thread