Any (wrist) watch aficionado/collectors on the forum?

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I would love to find someone else pretty knowledgeable in decent to high value watches such as Tag Heuers, Rolex, Breitling, Hamilton, Omegas and so on. I have all of the brands listed above and more. Actually my favorite watch that I wear everyday is my Hamilton. Hamiltons aren't cheap, but compared to an Omega it's much much cheaper. I used to have a few Hamiltons at once, but I found out it's better to keep just one since I always pick out my favorite and then never wear the other ones.

I'm a member on 'watchuseek' forums, but you're not allowed to talk about money/value of watches and to you can't post in the classifieds until you've been a member for 3 months and have 250+ posts. Unfortunately I just joined a few weeks ago and can't talk prices on there yet.

Here's some of my watches. I'm sure I have some Citizen or Seiko price range watches I forgot to include.

I placed my Breitling and more expensive Tag Heuer on Chrono24 for sale. For anyone that's not familiar with Chrono24, it will give you a quote based on the watch you want to sell based on the age, condition, features, brand, etc., and also based on how many of that watch are on their site for sale, and also the current demand.

Anyways, I was surprised my Tag was appraised at what it was. The value was worth a good $350+ more than my Breitling and although I didn't buy either watch anywhere close to the normal price they sell for, the Breitling lists for $4600 and the Tag Heuer lists for $3750. Ideally I want to sell both and get a 347 stroker kit from DSS and build out my engine. At least I already have the TFS top end kit (heads, cam, upper/lower manifold & all the bolts).

Anyways, here's my watch collection. Post yours

Col-1.jpg

Col-2.jpg

Col-3.jpg

Col-4.jpg

Col-5.jpg

Col-6.jpg

Col-7.jpg

Col-8.jpg

Col-9.jpg

This Seiko is what I wear when I work on my car. I've had it for a year and a half and not a scratch on it. This sapphire bezel is excellent for a $90.00 watch and it's automatic too. I would definitely get their more expensive version, but you can get a really nice Hamilton for around $600. The Hamilton in the pictures you see is what I usually wear everyday. That particular watch is $1700, but I paid around $1000 for it when it was on sale.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
I have a watch an ex got me for Christmas several years ago that I think was a couple hundred or so. I just wanted it because it looked cool lol. Can I pm you pictures of it and see if you know what it's worth?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice. I just have a kermit rolex. I will add either a jubilee pepsi, hulk, and/or sea master in the near future.

I know rolex subs and gmts pretty well and can eyeball prices with a fair degree of accuracy.

Doesn't chrono24 charge a ton to buy or sell? I seem to recall a 15% buyer charge LOL. Swiss Watch Expo in Atlanta is my favorite.

I am not really into tags or breitlings. Honestly I prefer much cheaper seiko turtles and samurai to these.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
I have a watch an ex got me for Christmas several years ago that I think was a couple hundred or so. I just wanted it because it looked cool lol. Can I pm you pictures of it and see if you know what it's worth?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sure, i'll take a look. You can always look at the face to see the brand name and there should also be a name underneath or somewhere on the face. Think of an Omega watch and on the face that has the Omega logo or says Omega and close to area where it says how far the watch can handle it's depth, usually 300 meters/1000ft for most decent watches it will say the make of the watch. For example, still using Omega as an example, it might say 'Seamaster' or 'Speedmaster' on it.

You can still send me pictures of your watch and i'll give you an estimate.

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Nice. I just have a kermit rolex. I will add either a jubilee pepsi, hulk, and/or sea master in the near future.

I know rolex subs and gmts pretty well and can eyeball prices with a fair degree of accuracy.

Doesn't chrono24 charge a ton to buy or sell? I seem to recall a 15% buyer charge LOL. Swiss Watch Expo in Atlanta is my favorite.

I am not really into tags or breitlings. Honestly I prefer much cheaper seiko turtles and samurai to these.
Chono24 only charges 6.5% commision and that's it. I placed one of my Tag Heuers up for $2799 and they charge $181 after 7 days. The buyer places money into the escrow and you get notified, then you ship the watch, wait 7 days, and the money gets released from escrow and that's when they charge their 6.5% commision.

Everyone has their own tastes, can't fault you for that. Like I said in my OP, I tend to wear my Hamilton more than all other watches combined. I just find it to be the most comfortable, it's extremely accurate and never loses a minute or two in a year, easy to read, and the power reserve is longer than any watch I have. I don't own a single watch that actually meets whatever claim they says their power reserve is, even Hamilton, but their watches comes the closest to actually making their claim.

I'm not a watch snob either, I really like Seiko Automatics that are $200-$400 range. I like Citizen Eco-Drives as well, but finding them in automatics is really hard to do. The funny thing is, I like my cars to be stick, and my watches to be automatic. No quartz for me lol.

Last edited:

Adower

Established Member

Have you seen the Rolex Bluesy? That right there in precious metal is my grail watch.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Last year I gave my son my Breitling for his 21st birthday. I bought it right before he was born just for the occasion. I don't wear a watch anymore but if I ever do I want a Rolex probably a Sea Dweller or Submariner, I kind of like the Milgauss too. But my dream watch is a Rolex Daytona two tone, second would be a Hulk.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I would have to buy a replica to go along with it. The way Rolex owners are being targeted it would be easier handing over a fake, lol!
That one in yellow gold is to die for.

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I really don’t have any pictures of mine but:

Tag Heuer Carrera

Tag Heuer Aquaracer

Tag Heuer Formula 1

Grand Seiko

Shinola Runwell

There are only 2 other watches i really want. Breitling Skyracer and Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean.

My daily’s are 2 different G Shocks lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
A nice watch indeed.View attachment 1732218

OK Bozos, stop clowning around.

Holy shit that is nice! I always wanted a simple blue faced Rolex date just with the oyster band. I am always pissing money away on things like cars, motors, transmissions or finally wheels. My wife has completely ignored my hints and suggestions. Maybe one day

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I wish I had money to afford a nice watch, my old man has a Rolex submariner sea dweller, he's had it longer than I've been alive lol. I've always liked Rolex watches and would like to own one day.

Blown 89

Established Member
I wish I had money to afford a nice watch, my old man has a Rolex submariner sea dweller, he's had it longer than I've been alive lol. I've always liked Rolex watches and would like to own one day.
You don't need to spend much to get a nice watch, especially if you shop the used market. Here's my Laco Cuxhaven. Really high quality leather strap, hand wind, beautiful exhibition back. It comes in a black dial as well.
IMG_20201012_121503.jpg

I imported this Casio Oceanus s100 from Japan relatively cheap. Titanium case made and polished by Grand Seiko, solar, titanium bracelet, applied indices, sapphire glass, perpetual calendar so the date is always correct, and it sets itself to whatever time zone you travel to. It's also regulated by the atomic clock at midnight so it's dead accurate. The titanium makes it light as a feather so it wears like a dream and the zaratsu polishing really makes it pop in the light. As a bonus the hands cover the logo so it says "anus" twice a day. I love this watch:
IMG_20201003_130531.jpg

Frederique Constant makes some bargains too. This is my eta powered GMT. The service last month cost more than I paid for it. The watch my 5 year old wears is a $3.95 college graduation gift from my father (sometimes it's not about monetary value):
IMG_20201118_101227.jpgIMG_20201126_123358.jpg

If you're into divers, Tudor (Rolex sub-brand) makes an unbelievable watch for the money. There's a run on them currently but hopefully that subsides and we can find good preowned deals again. Or you could pick up something like a Hamilton Scuba Auto for $500 on the grey market. There are a plethora of really nice three figure watches out there.

Fair warning though, watches are an expensive rabbit hole. Here are some of my others for the OP and other watch nerds:

Laco Dortmund Erbstuck. I had this one hand aged in Germany to my specifications. If I had any macro photography skills I would showcase the incredible detail. The aged rolling buckle strap is fun too. Laco is one of the original 5 Flieger watch manufacturers for the German Luftwaffe so my RAF Grandad would kick my ass for owning one if he were still alive:
IMG_20191103_134856.jpg

Breitling Premier B01. Breitling pioneered two pusher chronographs and their inhouse 01 movement is arguably one of the best chronograph movements on the market....vertical clutch, column wheel, instant date set, thin movement, single barrel 70 hour power reserve, hammer system in house chrono for under 4 figures. It's one hell of an horological accomplishment. To put that into perspective, they beat 2 of the 3 holy trinity to the market by a decade and only 3 years after Patek released theirs.
IMG_20211119_190928.jpg

Grand Seiko Snowflake. The spring drive is a horological marvel and Grand Seiko's dials are stunning so even though I don't wear it often I love having it. Grand Seiko's vertical integration is damn impressive too. I have some gripes about the watch but that's a discussion for another time. (not my picture btw, this thing is impossible to photograph)
Km0qyDI.jpeg

Last but not least, my favorite watch...the L.A. dial Weiss American Issue Field Watch. If I keep one watch it's this one. In-house, made by one man that I've talked to, easy to read, unique, beautiful, and easy to wear. The finishing isn't nearly up to par with high end luxury but neither is the price.
12.jpgIMG_20211228_142939.jpg

And last but not least, the watch I wear 5 days a week.....Timex Explorer that I bought used on Reddit for $10 lol.

20200201_133834_HDR (3).jpg

That's everything I have of note. The rest are gifts, fashion watches, etc. I also have some old clocks and a handful of vintage pocket watches including a solid gold pocketwatch given to my great, great grandfather in 1900 with his name and other things engraved on the case back. I've been fascinated with time pieces since before I can remember.

I'm still on the hunt for a Glashutte Original and a Tudor Pelagos. What both brands are doing right now is incredible. I'll see you on WUS OP.

Users who are viewing this thread