anybody ever run a 4V 5.4 swap in a 5r55 car?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
So I'm just now starting to brainstorm for my next project...

once I sell the Lightning, I'm going to have a forged 5.4 shortblock remaining in my possession. I've been dying to get back in an S197 Mustang. Since I've been in the Lightning world, I've fallen in love with big power on the street behind an auto transmission.

For my next build, I'd like to go a bit more aggressive than my previous rides. Something with more of a drag-oriented suspension (but with QA1's to tame it a bit for weekend driving) that will run mid/low 10's, retain A/C & P/S, and have a good reliable auto transmission with gearing that will allow me to drive the car from West Virginia to Myrtle Beach, or even further on the freeway. And I don't want to just go buy a new 5.0 and pour the boost to it like everybody seems to be doing.

So I'm thinking of a combo something along the lines of a forged 4V 5.4 with moderately aggressive cams, ported heads (exactly which heads tbd), and a big hairy ProCharger in an Alloy S197 car with a built 5r55. Has anybody ran a 4V 5.4 with a 5r55 combo? If this can be done electronically, is there any reason mechanically to stay away from the 5r55 platform? Which ECU... tuned Spanish Oak, or would I be forced to go to a standalone ecu & trans controller?

I am only in the beginning stages of brainstorming, so throw ANY recommendations my way. thanks!

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
also, throw some advice my way regarding intake manifolds for a 4V 5.4. Should I go with some sort of a custom Spider-type intake, or track down a GT500 intake manifold and take advantage of that liquid-to-air intercooler setup?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
also, throw some advice my way regarding intake manifolds for a 4V 5.4. Should I go with some sort of a custom Spider-type intake, or track down a GT500 intake manifold and take advantage of that liquid-to-air intercooler setup?

with a procharger id run a navi intake OR get the MMR adapters and run a 5.0 boss intake (one of the few innovative things MMR has actually made)

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
im sure its been done...im going to do same but with a 6r80 in my new edge car

Is the 6r80 what the new 5.0 cars run? I've seen great results from that transmission, but just assumed it would be a nightmare electronically?

with a procharger id run a navi intake OR get the MMR adapters and run a 5.0 boss intake (one of the few innovative things MMR has actually made)

Oh MAN, that BOSS intake would be sweet under the hood. That would really twist some guys up when I tell them it's a 5.4 lol

96lasersvt

Established Member
Had i not gotten my 13 and got the 09 that i was looking at, thats what i was gonna do. Forged 5.4, ported c heads with a aussie boss 290 intake and f1a. Big stall and some 4.10 gears....would have been a fun car i think.

Users who are viewing this thread