Anybody have a burning smell...........

Gxsa140

Established Member
Thought I would check with everyone on here to see if anybody has had this before. The last couple of times that I have driven the car for long distances I have gotten out of the car it smells like something burning?
The first time it happened I actually thought it was someone burning brush to build a house across the street. A couple days later I drove the car and and smelt it again, this time at work. It's an odd smell.......very strong smell like something is on fire?
Anybody ever hear of this before?
I have the car at the dealer to fix the rearend leak..again..and they are supposed to " look into the smell" :dw:

Do you have an aftermarket Cat back? If so ..make sure the pipes are not melting the gas tank cover. Also...Check the next time you smell it if the smell is coming out of the exhaust. My car ran lean for a while after I put the CAI in because I did not know to disconnect the battery after the install. If it is clutch...You sould feel the pedel getting closer and closer to the top before it completely ingauges. I would get under the car and trace the exhaust from front to back and make sure nothing is on the pipes or meltig/burning close to the pipes. They get HOT! .02

firered03

Established Member
I've asked the same question. Does it smell like striking a match? I used to have that with mine when I would get into it. I have 4700 miles on it now, and it seems to have gone away.

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
mine smells too. I always thought it's the belt, I see alot of belt dust on my 100mm idler.

dezracer

Ive had it too,but not latley.Smelled like brakes to me..or clutch.How common is a slipping of the stock belt on stock pulleys???

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
dezzracer said:
Ive had it too,but not latley.Smelled like brakes to me..or clutch.How common is a slipping of the stock belt on stock pulleys???
It is not common for the belt to slip on a stock pulley. Unless your tensioner is bad.

mystic04

Established Member
i to have had a smell and i don't run the car really hard at all just open it up now and then . been thinking it's the clutch also. but now i 'll have to check and see if my cat back may be the cause of the problem. i don't get it all the time just seems after i run it hard so i guess that is pointing towards the clutch. Any further comments are welcome guy's.

sweet10th

Established Member
Rudy , i thought that pic of the car was mine at first , lol.
That is exactly the same as mine.
I have a black 10th with SSR GT3 rims , badass dude.
There is only 8 days difference in build dates too...mine is 7/30/03
:rockon:

Last edited:

Rudy

Twin screwed
Established Member
sweet10th said:
Rudy , i thought that pic of the car was mine at first , lol.
That is exactly the same as mine.
I have a black 10th with SSR GT3 rims , badass dude.
There is only 8 days difference in build dates too...mine is 7/30/03
:rockon:

they are brothers :rockon:

Gxsa140

Established Member
thanks for the replies guys.....I believe the exhaust is close to the gas tank cover. That may be it. Just got the car back today, I'll have to look at this weekend......damn daylight savings time cuts the daylight short!

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
thats the smell you get right before you get the tick.....j/k
Mine had a smell too for the first 1000 miles, seemed to have gone away now

peace

Users who are viewing this thread