Anybody have a GPS nav system?

hmwave

Established Member
hunterp said:
Tried doing a search and came up with nothing. Anybody have one and want to recommend some brands? TIA

Audiovox 5600 Smartphone
Mapopolis Software
Pharos GPS-360 and Bluetooth sled

Not as good as the top systems but does a damn fine job of getting me around with turn by turn routing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The best IMO is the Magellan Roadmate 700 GPS Car Navigation System. It goes for around $990. so it isn't cheap, but I've always been impressed with their products. Ever rent a Hertz car with a Megellan system? Impressive.

Garmin makes good car systems as well.

Litespeed

CYAH
Established Member
I use a Garmin iQue 3600 which is a Palm OS PDA with integrated GPS. I like it because it is compact making it very portable, it's much faster than my previous Garmin Streetpilot 3, and the pda functions satisfy my needs for address books and alarms.

Garmin has recently released a PocketPC version called iQue M5 which I've read has a faster processor since it runs Microsoft's Windows Mobile OS, has a user replaceable battery, and it supports Bluetooth so the M5 may be the better route. I've always been a Palm OS fan though.

Pricing for the units with the Auto kit (includes power/speaker) is around $500 for the Ique and $570 for the M5. TVNAV.COM is a good place to purchase the units. A VSM (vehicle specific mount) from pro-fit with model# FO-57-94 is around $35. You'll also need an SD card (at least 256) to put maps on it which should be $40-$80 depending on size/brand. I also recommend an external antenna from Glisson which can be found for about $20 at GPSGeek

Last edited:

fiveoguy

Established Member
I have a navman iCN 510 and love it. They run about $400 and I like the fact that its portable so I can take it in whatever car I am in. Has a nice suction cup windshield mount. www.navman.com

hunterp

Established Member
Thanks for the good replies. I've got some research to do. I have used the Hertz system before, works like a charm. Even has a nice stern voice telling you when you screwed up and recalculates the route.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
Do you have a PDA? We have a Dell Axim and a Dell Bluetooth GPS. It works great, and I'm pretty sure the GPS is made by Belkin.

vipergts281

Established Member
Anyone have a touch screen one? That would be cool.

I sat in a Lexus at the auto show and it had a touch screen. Where ever you touched on the screen, it would give you the address right away. That's pretty neat.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
svtcobras said:
I don't get lost often enough to justify the purchase.
Get lost once and you'll wish you had it. LOL! I personally think they're more useful when you traveling out of state. I wouldn't honestly use it that much within Connecticut. But then again................

hunterp

Established Member
WraithCobra said:
Do you have a PDA? We have a Dell Axim and a Dell Bluetooth GPS. It works great, and I'm pretty sure the GPS is made by Belkin.

I have a Palm T3. I'll check out the handheld options.

svtcobras said:
I don't get lost often enough to justify the purchase.

What tipped me over the edge was driving down to SLC this last Friday and trying to follow the crap-ass directions Mapquest gave me. Once I got off the freeway, none of the street names matched. All I can think is that DOT must have their own naming system for streets and Mapquest was using that instead of what was actually printed on the street signs. I finally had to call my friend and have him guide me where I needed to be. This has happened to me frequently since I don't know my way around the major cities, mostly because I almost never have occassion to go there.

Last edited:

hmwave

Established Member
If that's all you need just get a simple handheld GPS with programmable waypoints (like a $99 eTrex), buy a copy of Microsoft Streets & Trips, plug in the address, transfer the lat/lon coords to a GPS waypoint and turn the device on when nearer the destination.
The waypoint directional arrow and distance to next waypoint indications are often enough to heuristically get you to the destination.
I've done this with an eTrex and it works fine.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2610. It was most useful when I went to LA on a business trip. I marked Avis, the business I was visiting and the hotel. At night, I would go out driving to look for a restaurant. After eating, I would punch in the hotel and it would direct me back. Very cool.

I can manage routes and waypoints and transfer to/from computer. I can use the maps on computer to find an address, then plan a route and transfer to 2610.

I would suggest a nice unit like Garmin or Magellan. The Garmin has a beanbag mount which sits on the dash on a non-skid pad (but in the Cobra, I have rolled it off the dash on a hard punch, so I suggest one of the double faced tape mounts also included). It is easily transfered from car to car. It has voice directions, but I usually turn that off as it gets annoying (to me).

I also have a GPS from Magellan which mounts onto my Palm Vx, but it isn't as convienent nor as easy to read and use. Color display would make that better, but a full featured and full sized unit like the 2610 or comperable Magellan unit would be much better than a Palm or Windows based unit.

If you have someone to navigate for you, DeLorme makes a nice unit which plugs into USB port on laptop for $125 with mapping software, but if you are alone, that is very dangerous. For extended trips, an AC inverter plugs into lighter socket.

The absolute best unit I have seen in a factory vehicle is the Toyota/Lexus unit. My son has one on his Prius and it is fantastic. IMO, the Cobra radio placement is rather low for an integrated unit, but there are a few good choices if you want to spend $2,000 + on a Stereo/GPS. Check out the Crutchfield site.

JJPMach1

Red 2003 Mach 1
Established Member
I have a system for my laptop, the GPS Programs only cost about $100 and a power convertor is about $20. The GPS receiver plugs into the USB port and just lays up on the dash. It works pretty good, the big screen makes it easy to see everything, and the program gives you verbal directions.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
MinGry03 said:
I have the pioneer AVIC-1. It has the touch screen GPS and dvd player buit in. It is also tied into your cars computer. It gives a speed, volt, compass, g-force reading on your car as well. There is a lot to list but take a look at the link.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Dq41yDGeLy6/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=182350&id=essential_info&i=130AVICN1

This may very well be the best system out there. Crutchfield is NOT the place to buy it though. There are a lot cheaper deals. I researched putting a factory system in my Aviator...and gave up. There is just too much to do. You would have to replace and rewire the entire stereo system. Just not feasable...and I do a lot of that stuff! Get the Pioneer.

MinGry03

SVT Guy
Established Member
As far as the Pioneer AVIC-1 goes, Very easy install and setup. The unit works and performs better that I would have expected. They sell all the necessary hookups to the factory wiring and also the subwoofer. As far as price, yes it is very costly. Crutchfield is not the place to buy it. I found it pretty reasonable at a local car audio shop. Also watch if you are looking for one on e-bay, a lot have people have gotten scammed when they tried to buy one. If you purchase one, Register it as soon as you can. I have gotten updates free from Pioneer for this unit.

Users who are viewing this thread