Anybody regret going to the darkside?

Majck123

Established Member
So back when I was looking for another car I was between an 03-04 Cobra and an 02-04 Z06. Obviously I ended up with the Cobra, car has full bolt-ons which can be seen in my sig. I now have the oppurtunity to jump into a 2002 Z06 in electron blue (the color I wanted) I have yet to see it but its at a dealer locally and I know the girl who runs online sales. All I know right now it that it has 54k miles.

The price is right but would it be worth the trade? Idk if I could live without boost lol. I know the LS1 is plenty fast but theres just something about that whine, that everyone in here knows, you can't get enough of. Basically what I'm asking is if this car is completely stock and in good condition should I go for it?

Majck123

Established Member
2002 has an LS1. I'm not worried about mod funds. I'm interested in hearing from people who have made this decision

Adiabatik

Banned
2002 has an LS1. I'm not worried about mod funds. I'm interested in hearing from people who have made this decision

No, no Z06 ever had an LS1. If it has an LS1 than it is a regular FRC C5 with Z06 badging/body work.

96project

Established Member
No, no Z06 ever had an LS1. If it has an LS1 than it is a regular FRC C5 with Z06 badging/body work.

Correct. The Z06 should have the ls6 which has the 243 heads/ls6 intake (no egr provisions) and a different cam. OP just see if it has the 243 heads (right up front below the valve cover) and a intake manifold with no egr tube going to the front of it. I highly doubt someone would try to clone a Z06 with just badges. But you never know.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Just depends on your plans for the car. If you have the money to mod it, the Z can be pretty fast. The Cobra is easier to mod obviously and cheaper, but you can add a blower to a C5Z for about $6K and make 550ish whp. Lol, all depends on how deep your pockets are and again, what you want to do with the car. I love Vette's, but I also miss my 03 Cobra, it was a fun car and surprised a lot of people.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I'd take a C5 Z over a LS2/LS3 C6 any day of the week.

C6 Z's are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Bad ass car, very reasonably priced and best bang for your buck car out there. Its the whole package. But, with that being said, the C5 Z is also a great car.

One thing I really like about the C5 Z is the "race car" feel it provides. The C6 Z is more luxurious and feels like an extremely fast caddy when driving.

Go test drive it. Whats the worst that can happen? C6 Z > C5 Z > LS3 C6 > LS2 C6.

Plus, C5 Z's are not "dime-a-dozen" like most other base vettes.

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
I'd take a C5 Z over a LS2/LS3 C6 any day of the week.

C6 Z's are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Bad ass car, very reasonably priced and best bang for your buck car out there. Its the whole package. But, with that being said, the C5 Z is also a great car.

One thing I really like about the C5 Z is the "race car" feel it provides. The C6 Z is more luxurious and feels like an extremely fast caddy when driving.

Go test drive it. Whats the worst that can happen? C6 Z > C5 Z > LS3 C6 > LS2 C6.

Plus, C5 Z's are not "dime-a-dozen" like most other base vettes.

Did you just compare the c6z to a caddy...

wow I dont know what to say, I think you need to lay off the drugs or you have never sat in a caddy.

my personal rankings

ls3>ls7>ls2>ls6

just because I love the roof

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I highly doubt someone would try to clone a Z06 with just badges. But you never know.
Trust me, it does happen...

Your absolutely nuts to pick a c5z over an ls3 c6.
I agree.

I went from an '03 Cobra to an '09 Z06. I'm not brand loyal at all so the switch was easy and well worth it.

U.M.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
^^^ Your absolutely nuts to pick a c5z over an ls3 c6.

Why? The C5 Z outperforms the LS3's around the track and on the streets. For modding purposes, the LS3 will make more power mod for mod, but they just look too plain. I dont like the looks as much as the C6 Z or C5 Z.

I like driving C5 Z's more than regular C6's. Thats just my opinion. I looked at C6's when I bought my Z06 also. I didnt like them as much. Theyre way too common....

Did you just compare the c6z to a caddy...

wow I dont know what to say, I think you need to lay off the drugs or you have never sat in a caddy.

my personal rankings

ls3>ls7>ls2>ls6

just because I love the roof

Yeah, I did. My father owns a 09 Z06 and I often trade cars with him for the day. Its way more luxurious and smoother riding. The clutch is soo soft too. What I was getting at was the ride quality and luxury features. I ddint mean that in a bad way, just totally different than the C5's. I personally prefer the C5 Z interior to the C6. I like the FRC design and feel. The C6 Z interior is way better quality, but I'm used to my fbodies and its like a upgraded version of it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've driven a 2006 Z-06 but not a C5 Z, so I really can't compare the two. However, just based on my time in the 2006 Z, I would definitely go with a C6 Z over the C5 Z. So smooth! I also prefer the design of the C6. But there are lots of people who prefer the C5, for numerous reasons. It's all about which one (including the '03-'04 Cobra) meets your wants/needs the best. My personal choice of the three would be the '03-'04 Cobra. One with very low miles. :)

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
Why? The C5 Z outperforms the LS3's around the track and on the streets. For modding purposes, the LS3 will make more power mod for mod, but they just look too plain. I dont like the looks as much as the C6 Z or C5 Z.

I like driving C5 Z's more than regular C6's. Thats just my opinion. I looked at C6's when I bought my Z06 also. I didnt like them as much. Theyre way too common....

Yeah, I did. My father owns a 09 Z06 and I often trade cars with him for the day. Its way more luxurious and smoother riding. The clutch is soo soft too. What I was getting at was the ride quality and luxury features. I ddint mean that in a bad way, just totally different than the C5's. I personally prefer the C5 Z interior to the C6. I like the FRC design and feel. The C6 Z interior is way better quality, but I'm used to my fbodies and its like a upgraded version of it.

look having a better interior than a Fbody or c5z is nothing to write home about...

SVT_4_me

Established Member
the z06 is a well engineered sports car. the cobra is just a mustang with tons of power. if all you want is power, then keep the cobra. if you want a well balanced, driver's car then pick up the z06. the z06 is honestly on a whole different level...

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
It's funny, coming from a GM family, I went over to the dark side when I bought the mustang. Personally I wouldn't trade in a termi for a C5Z. Is keeping the termi not a possibility?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I did and don't regret it, still think of the snake from time to time though. Both of my LSx cars have quite a bit done and I am not left wanting more power at the moment. The C5Z is an absolute blast to drive. If you can find one that has had some work done, that is the way to go. You really pay the corvette tax on vette specific bolt-ons..

Users who are viewing this thread