Anyone can tell me the symptoms of clog CATS??

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
Hi guys, i ve tried the seach button without much success.

My boost gauge is showing too much boost (over 15 psi on a 2.80 pulley) , My power is really down passing 3000 rpm at wot, and it looks like my exhaust tone is different??? Are these the symptoms of cloggued cats??.

And my car is on a low stance so the exhaust scrape on the ground sometimes.

Tx

Ben

Last edited:

Teej281

Established Member
Sounds like it could be clogged cats. changed exhaust note, down on power, excess boost from restriction. Wouldnt hurt to throw on an o/r midpipe.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Disconnect one side of your h-pipe and go drive the car. It will sound like shit, but if the car feels more peppy, than you have your answer. This happened to me on another cobra. If your running the stock h-pipe and you have under 80k on your cobra take it to Ford. If the cats are bad they replace the whole h-pipe for free.

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
Disconnect one side of your h-pipe and go drive the car. It will sound like shit, but if the car feels more peppy, than you have your answer. This happened to me on another cobra. If your running the stock h-pipe and you have under 80k on your cobra take it to Ford. If the cats are bad they replace the whole h-pipe for free.

Tx for the quick replys guys! any other inputs are welcome.

About the free h pipe??... even if im not the original buyer cause yes im running the stock H PIPE and i'm at 63k. This is a worlwide free deal cause in Canada seems like nothing is free anymore?? lol

Ben

Last edited:

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Tx for the quick replys guys! any other inputs are welcome.

About the free h pipe??... even if im not the original buyer cause yes im running the stock H PIPE and i'm at 63k. This is a worlwide free deal cause in Canada seems like nothing is free anymore?? lol

Ben

You should be fine. I was not the first owner of the cobra that got the cats replaced. Call a Ford dealer and see what they say. It should be covered.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
80,000 miles or five years warranty on emmission related items if i remember correctly. vacuum guage will find an exhaust restriction. goes to zero when you load the eng. but thats what it sounds like, is the the cats are plugged . or maybe you smashed a pipe?? time to look.

Last edited:

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
80,000 miles or five years warranty on emmission related items if i remember correctly. vacuum guage will find an exhaust restriction. goes to zero when you load the eng. but thats what it sounds like, is the the cats are plugged . or maybe you smashed a pipe?? time to look.[/QUOTE

Interesting here.... english not being my primary language can you explain me a bit further what you mean by load the engine ? When i starting my engine vaccuum may read 0 on my wideband if the cats are plugged?

Sorry for my missunderstoodness (if thats a word!lol)

Ben

sneakysnake03

SVT
Established Member
Engine load is basically how hard the engine is working. It sounds like your cats are stopped up. I dont know if yours would be covered under warranty because Im not sure if Canada is the same as the U.S. with the emission standards, but it never hurts to check.

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
Engine load is basically how hard the engine is working. It sounds like your cats are stopped up. I dont know if yours would be covered under warranty because Im not sure if Canada is the same as the U.S. with the emission standards, but it never hurts to check.

Tx, had call a ford dealer today, they will get me an anwser tomorrow for the warranty.. aniway if cats are really my problem, time to move for an O/R x pipe maybe.

More info on my problem... at idle no problem.. Vacuum reads 20 inHG which is normal from what ive read. But at WOT.... the boost increase to 17-18 psi and the power is decreasing at the same time horribly. Another feeling is i have to give more pedal to have power at low rpm.

First thought was fuel related problem but since i have already change Spark plugs, fuel filter, Frps back to back and still have the problem, i changed my mind for the cats problem.

AlwaysBoosted

What's a SVT?
Established Member
Tx, had call a ford dealer today, they will get me an anwser tomorrow for the warranty.. aniway if cats are really my problem, time to move for an O/R x pipe maybe.

More info on my problem... at idle no problem.. Vacuum reads 20 inHG which is normal from what ive read. But at WOT.... the boost increase to 17-18 psi and the power is decreasing at the same time horribly. Another feeling is i have to give more pedal to have power at low rpm.

First thought was fuel related problem but since i have already change Spark plugs, fuel filter, Frps back to back and still have the problem, i changed my mind for the cats problem.

Take the car for a spin, for about 10 miles. Afterwards, jack the car up and take a peak. If one of the cats are really clogged, it will be red! You'll also be able to feel the difference in temps between each bank if one is clogged vs not clogged. Don't touch the cat, but hover your hand by each. IMO a little easier then removing half the H.

crazycarlo

Established Member
yeah but most of the time its whichever comes first. And also if its a bad pipe and ur going to upgrade to an o/r pipe I wouldnt even bother with letting ford work on it. Just buy a pipe and it takes like 20mins to changeout.

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
yeah but most of the time its whichever comes first. And also if its a bad pipe and ur going to upgrade to an o/r pipe I wouldnt even bother with letting ford work on it. Just buy a pipe and it takes like 20mins to changeout.

That's exactly what i have in mind... just wish it will solve my problem:dw:3

torqued

Go Fast Turn Left
Established Member
I just replaced the cats in my 03. The power on the top end really went away. I put a set of Bassani high flow cats on and wow. What a difference.
The thing that really sucked was that the two rubber hoses that come of the egr tube and go to dpfe came off the dpfe and melted the vacuum and pressure hoses under it when the exhaust pressure built up.

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
I just replaced the cats in my 03. The power on the top end really went away. I put a set of Bassani high flow cats on and wow. What a difference.
The thing that really sucked was that the two rubber hoses that come of the egr tube and go to dpfe came off the dpfe and melted the vacuum and pressure hoses under it when the exhaust pressure built up.

Wont be a problem i 've already done the egr delete!

Dismember

2003 black Terminator
Established Member
Just a little update...

Finally replace the stock H with an O/R BBK X pipe, The sound is so much louder at wot that i can barely heard the eaton (lol). But my overboost issue seems to be cured since my gauge is steady at 12-13 psi. Other good news no more lean AFR , even a bit richer around 11 at wot(cant explain why) maybe because of the o2 sensor.

Now powerwise i feel the car better in higher rpm but lower down it feels a bit weak. I know it can result from going catless. Aniway i will need more time to examine everything. Ah and i've now found that my Differential cover as start leaking even with the brace. GGGGGGRRRRRRRRR Always something new in the bad news.

tx everyone

Ben

Users who are viewing this thread