Anyone deep frying your turkey this year?

myrare1

Established Member
I am thinking about getting a fryer for our turkey this year. I like this one since it is electric and appears to be safe.

Masterbuilt

For those of you that have done this, do you suggest it? Do you use the fryer for anything else? I know you can, just curious who does.

Thanks!

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Deep fried turkeys are the only way to go.

*****************EDITED FOR CONTENT***********************

Last edited by a moderator:

Wabish

Established Member
Deep fried turkeys are the only way to go.

Just make sure you don't thaw the turkey. They are best if cooked while still frozen.

Sounds like pretty solid advice haha.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQYTMFCLy5E"]State Farm® - Turkey Fryer Danger - YouTube[/nomedia]

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
We deep fry the turkey every year, they are delicious. As far as I know, the fryer has never been used for frying anything other than turkeys. Too bad the price of peanut oil has skyrocketed because of the crappy peanut crop this year.

Dusten

Established Member
We've done it in the past, its delicious. But i'm going with a traeger cooked turkey again

Marc

Established Member
Deep friend turkey over a traditional baked turkey any day of the week.

Going to do this again this Thanksgiving. I was even contemplating trying to deep fry a Turdunken. Anyone ever do this?

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Deep fry Turkey is the best!! Do it every year. Use peanut oil, it gives it a delicious taste!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Why the **** are you buying something that expensive?

Propane tank, bigass pot, fryer stand, fire

Quick and easy and you can drink beer while you cook it outside.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Why the **** are you buying something that expensive?

Propane tank, bigass pot, fryer stand, fire

Quick and easy and you can drink beer while you cook it outside.

I agree. Propane+big pot. You can then double it up for summer cook outs for low country boils.

Nothing like giving someone potentially deadly advice.

At least someone offered him advice. Until I posted that "potentially deadly advice" no one had replied in two hours. Once I did that, 10+ people replied with their 2 cents in under two hours. I'm sure the OP is smart enough to not fry a frozen turkey. If he isn't, we can let Darwin take it from there.

oldmodman

Established Member
I thought this year would be different.

I was going to try and tone down Thanksgiving this year. Last year there were so many leftovers I swear I was still eating turkey sandwiches until Christmas.

This year I was planning to just cook a turkey breast. Until I saw that prices on those damned things. 18 buck here in Los Angeles, and that is for six pounds!:cuss: And I can get an 18 pound frozen turkey for $7.00.:shrug:

So I will be frying it after all. I have the fryer, plenty of propane, and a jug of peanut oil in the freezer.

Now a suggestion for any newcomers to frying. Take the thawed bird and place it on the skewer, lower it into the fry pot, then add the cold oil until it just comes up to the bottom of the neck. Then remove the bird. Now you know that it won't overflow onto the burner after you have heated the oil.
And if you want the best flavor, heat the oil slowly so you don't burn it. The burned oil flavor will ruin the turkey. And while the oil is heating I just leave the oil covered bird on some newspaper a few feet from the burner.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I thought this year would be different.

I was going to try and tone down Thanksgiving this year. Last year there were so many leftovers I swear I was still eating turkey sandwiches until Christmas.

Every year I always want to do a special Thanksgiving dinner one night during the week for just me and the gf with a turkey leg or breast but we always get so much leftovers from family it is pointless to waste the money. It ends up being cheaper to buy a whole turkey, so I feel your pain.

Me and my brothers always deep fry one using my brothers fryer on Thanksgiving. When we join my gfs family for Thanksgiving, her mom just bakes it in the oven. My grannie (RIP, first Thanksgiving without her!) always baked them as well. Oven turkeys are never as good as in the oven as they are deep fried, but grannie's fixins make it worth while.

Last edited:

myrare1

Established Member
Thanks for all the great comments!

That particular fryer I was considering can be purchased on Amazon for $100. I agree, it is expensive to buy for once a year. But if I can use it for other dinners throughout the year, then I could justify it.

Anyone use it other than Thanksgiving?

Thanks!

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
Now a suggestion for any newcomers to frying. Take the thawed bird and place it on the skewer, lower it into the fry pot, then add the cold oil until it just comes up to the bottom of the neck. Then remove the bird. Now you know that it won't overflow onto the burner after you have heated the oil.
And if you want the best flavor, heat the oil slowly so you don't burn it. The burned oil flavor will ruin the turkey. And while the oil is heating I just leave the oil covered bird on some newspaper a few feet from the burner.

And turn the flame off before putting the bird back in for added safety.

Users who are viewing this thread